SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
176 Posts
Discussion
One of the Best Accessories for Soaring

I didn't really know, and never didn't think much about it, but I was out flying the other day with my Radian and there where a few others out flying to. As I was preparing my glider, one of the guy's said, here try these. What they were was a pair of Oakley sunglasses with interchangeable lenses. Wow, I don't think I ever looked thru sunglasses that were so crystal clear and razor sharp ! I probly spend maybe up to $ 30. for a pair of sunglasses, but I never realized the amount of distortion I was getting. I tried the rose and yellow tinted lenes and was amazed by how much better I could see the sailplane when getting it close to being a speck in the sky. The optical quality of those oakley's were incredible compared to what I was used to for so long. The big problem is that they are about $ 250. for a pair. That could get me another sailplane, but now I'm convinced it will be worth every penny. I never did have Eagle eye vision, but this is a game changer for me. I'm posting this because I never, ever thought expensive sunglasses would make for such a big difference. Thought the high prices were about Name and Style mostly.
Roger Rocket is offline Find More Posts by Roger Rocket
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:34 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,556 Posts
An alternative to Oakley is Model Glasses USA, the advertise in Model Aviation and I picked my first pair at the Toledo Model Show, and they are the best flying glasses I have ever had and not anywhere near the money of Oakley's. They usually come with three lens' and very light frames, nice case, and straps and cleaning cloth. All I think are under $100.00 or much less in some cases. And here is the real bottom line. my first pair had the frame break. I ordered another pair, but got a hold of one of the guys and he replaced my first frames no charge. Their add is on page 84 in the February 2013 MA. Their website is www.modelglassesusa.com

Mrc
R.M. Gellart is online now Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:45 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,949 Posts
I wear Oakley Half Jackets and the lenses are prescription. These are not a lens over a lens. They are true prescriptions and there is no way to know they are prescripts without putting them on your face. Makes all the difference in the world for me!

Mike Lee
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:15 AM
Joined Jan 2012
176 Posts
Thanks OVSS BOSS
Went to website, saw, bought ! $ 75. w/shipping. Good timing, was going to buy the Oakley's this week end. Only thing is, really hopeing that they are close to the Oakley performance. Hope others reading this thread try a VERY good set of sunglasses, and not just wear cheap ones like I did for a long time. It REALLY does make a difference looking up into a bright sky, at a very high, small target.

Thanks,
Roger
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:31 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,556 Posts
Roger, I think that you will be very happy. I am at a time of my life that my sight is changing, I finally went from 20/15 to 20/20 and as the docter said, I knew it was changing cause I had had near perfect vision at distance. I ride bike with them, fish wwith them, and fly with them. I really love the polorized for cloud cover and fishing. Let me know.

Marc
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:53 PM
cq cq de kr4is
USA, VA, virginia beach
Joined Jan 2011
277 Posts
Has any one tried the"ocuvite"by bausch andlomb to inprove sight.
flexsphincter is offline Find More Posts by flexsphincter
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:41 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,879 Posts
Good sunglasses are essential, whether they be plain or prescription. I had my optitian set me up with my prescription in a base 8 wraparound fully coated polarized lens. About $250 of lens in a $7 nylon safety glass frame
Dave
David Forbes is offline Find More Posts by David Forbes
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:39 PM
Rolling Takeoff
Japan
Joined Jun 2005
66 Posts
Oakley lens color?

So what is the best color lens for the Oakley prescription glasses? It's time for a new prescription so I might as well get something that works for model aviation.
japan3d is offline Find More Posts by japan3d
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:19 AM
Joined Jan 2012
176 Posts
japan3d

The ones I ordered come with 3 different color lenses. But with prescription lenses, you got to get it right the first time. Google 'best tint for sunglasses', there is lot of info. What I'm getting is a yellowish tint ( what I understand target shooters prefer, and a brown/bronze tint, and grey. What I understand is you want something that really makes colors 'POP'. I also tried a light rose tint, that I thought worked well. For what your going to spend, that's a tough choice.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:55 AM
Joined Jan 2003
6,932 Posts
I played paintball for years and really developed a like for brown tint. It really makes contrast "pop" for me. I found it make searching for things in the brush much easier, and it works great for looking up in the sky as long as the tint is dark enough.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:27 AM
United States, NY, Lewiston
Joined Apr 2011
323 Posts
I get prescription sunglasses at Zennioptical.com. The prices are astounding and you have complete freedom to get whatever frame style, lens color, lens tint, photochromatic or polarized etc etc. I just bought three pairs for less than 90 bucks. I ride motorcycles and ski as well as fly RC and it is awesome to be able to just buy different colors and tints and styles for different conditions. Some days a light yellow tint is best, some days a dark gray....it depends on the cloud cover and brightness. I get my untinted glasses there too, and I have never seen any problems with quality. I honestly can't see any reason to go elsewhere and spend more, and yes, I would probably do the same if I didn't have prescription needs....their prices beat name brands but the lenses are optical quality.
theghosttanker is offline Find More Posts by theghosttanker
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:06 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
535 Posts
[QUOTE=theghosttanker;24029876]I get prescription sunglasses at Zennioptical.com. The prices are astounding and you have complete freedom to get whatever frame style, lens color, lens tint, photochromatic or polarized etc etc.

I agree about Zennioptical.com. I have a pair of bifocal dark glasses that cost $32 plus $5 ship - arrived 8 days after I placed order. And the customer service is great. Another one year old pair I wear full time has spring loaded frame side pieces that have never required adjusting. Quality of frames and lenses is great.

When flying sailplanes I always wear my Zurich EXtreme Glare Sunglasses over my Rx glasses (Original, Grey Lens, Medium Density, $60, zurichsunglasses.com).
They really do reduce glare and allow you to fly closer to the sun.

Craig
craigrrr is online now Find More Posts by craigrrr
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:58 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,884 Posts
BUT.....they DON"T do prisims
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:17 PM
Joined Jan 2012
176 Posts
Hi Marc
Got the sunglasses today from sunglasses USA, the place you recommended. They came with 4 different tints, I thought it was only 3. Anyway, EXCELLENT, I now have a tint for all sky conditions, but one of the lenses were very dark, I guess for bright sun and snow on he ground. My ability to see the sailplane way up there at altitude will be vastly improved !! Very clear and razor sharp looking thru them.

Thanks again Marc (ovss boss)
Roger
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:02 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,556 Posts
Great!

Marc