SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:16 AM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,379 Posts
Question
Why wont my quad fly with MultiWII & 3s batteries??

Here is a video of my quad with MW2.1 loaded and flying with two 2200mah 3s batteries:

Quad can't fly with 3S & MW2.1 (0 min 51 sec)

After this video was shot, I removed the MWC and installed my KK2 and used these exact same batteries (without charging them afterwards) and flew for another 4min no problem. But with MW2.1 the thing could barely hover.

Most that video was shot with the stick at or near Full Throttle. After struggling to stay in the air, i checked the motors... batteries and ESC's and none of them were even warm. All ice-cold still.

The MWC flys great with MPNG loaded, but I think I want to use MultiWii instead.
AcroFPV is online now Find More Posts by AcroFPV
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:31 AM
United States, NV, North Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
Few things come to mind. Make sure you didn't set a throttle curve in GUI on accident. if thats not it then Remove props, Tx on, power the quad, connect to your computer and take a look in GUI at your throttle end points, if you have lets say 2100 at full throttle and 1100 at low then you will need to adjust the throttle end points in SKETCH to match what you have. Or, you could set the throttle end points on the TX so that at full stick you have 2000 and low 1000 in GUI, then recalibrate your ESC's.

John
shultz is offline Find More Posts by shultz
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:37 AM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,379 Posts
My throttle goes from 988 to 2011, so I assume the ESC's are getting a "Full throttle" signal?

I already checked & removed the stock EXPO on the throttle channel using MultiWiiGUI.

I could not figure out how to do a ESC Calibration using the MWC, so I just used my RX to do the calibration on all 4 ESC's.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
Quote:
My throttle goes from 988 to 2011, so I assume the ESC's are getting a "Full throttle" signal?

I already checked & removed the stock EXPO on the throttle channel using MultiWiiGUI.

I could not figure out how to do a ESC Calibration using the MWC, so I just used my RX to do the calibration on all 4 ESC's.

You should be getting full throttle.

Well, thats not it...

This is how I calibrate all my ESC's, MWC does offer a calibration feature but I never use it.

Once armed, how much throttle stick movement does it take before the motors spin up(assuming you use MOTOR_STOP)? Do the motors sound like they are getting full power at full throttle?
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:58 AM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
What GUI are you using? if stock, where it shows you MID and EXPO for throttle, MID should be 50 and EXPO is 0.00 correct? the line in the graph is straight corner to corner?
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:29 PM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz View Post
What GUI are you using? if stock, where it shows you MID and EXPO for throttle, MID should be 50 and EXPO is 0.00 correct? the line in the graph is straight corner to corner?
I used the WinGUI. But I also used MultiWiiConf too to verify. No Expo, and a straight line from corner-to-corner. I also verified full stick movements in the receiver test screens.

Once the board is armed, all 4 motors come to life at the exact time almost as soon as I come off of idle. And no, the motors do not seem like they are getting full power.

Here is a video of my same quad, same MW2.1 install, but this time with two 2200mah 4s batteries:

Flight Test #3 (4 min 43 sec)

Right now the flight controller has MPNG loaded on it, and im not sure if I should bother putting MW2.1 back on and figuring out this issue. Or just hammer away at MPNG and keep it loaded.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:25 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
I think I know what the problem is. In stock sketch, max throttle is set to 1850... I forgot all about that

So, go to config.h, find define Max throttle and change it from 1850 to 2025 or so, you want it a little higher than the value your getting in GUI(2011)

John
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:33 PM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz View Post
I think I know what the problem is. In stock sketch, max throttle is set to 1850... I forgot all about that

So, go to config.h, find define Max throttle and change it from 1850 to 2025 or so, you want it a little higher than the value your getting in GUI(2011)

John
Good Call! You are right. I checked and it is set to 1850.

I will set it to 2000 and try it again later
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:37 PM
Quadtard
United States, CO, Gilcrest
Joined Feb 2009
807 Posts
Did that help?
Breezemont is offline Find More Posts by Breezemont
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:00 PM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,379 Posts
I haven't tried. I have been tweaking and tuning MPNG. Today I started with P, I, D tuning and its giving me a headache.

Have to charge more batteries now.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:15 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
In the gui Check when you push to full throttle that the peg moves fully to the right and doesn't stop short on the throttle graph if you've set 2000 as upper limit this should be fine,

jimbob69 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob69