HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,325 Posts
Discussion
PCM L1011 Build thread twin 90mm

I'm going to be starting a build thread on the old PCM L1011 that was originally designed for a single turbine in the tail.
Unfortunately this model is no longer manufactured by Pat McCurry which is unfortunate as it is a very nice kit and the plane flys really well.
These in kit for are about as rare as hens teeth these days but I was fortunate enough to find one that had been started by a good builder and that will be the model in this thread.
I have converted about 5 of these already that were originally turbines to electric, so I have a pretty good understanding of what equipment to use and how they will perform. My goal for this one is to try and come in between 24-25 lbs AUW with batteries ready to fly. These are outstanding planes at that weight.

Equipment will include:

* (2) EJet 90mm Jetfans that get mounted in the nacelles (these are GREAT fans for the $$)
* (2) Neu 1415/1.5Y 1500 KV motors
* (2) Phoenix Ice 100A esc's (setup should draw about 90-95A wide open)
* Robart gear for the 1011 converted to electric by Down and Locked
* Special inlet rings that are molded plastic that I made a tool for about 4 1011's ago
* Wood mounting rings I madeup and had a friend laser cut for mounting the edf's in the nacelles from the front (no hatches required which really cleans that area up
* (4) 4S 5000 TP batteries
* Servo operated gear doors

Since I know that the plane will take some tail weight and I usually put the receiver battery in the tail for balance, I will be installing the rudder servo in the vertical stab. This provides much more precise rudder control that the pull/pull system that was designed.

ESC get mounted in the bottom of the fuse just forward of the battery in openings that allow them to hang down just slightly to get air flow over the heat sinks. 12 awg wire is then run to the motors.

To keep the plane light I will be doing the Royal AF paint scheme and airbrushing details with a light coat of mat clear over the plane.

OK time to get started. I'll post pictures soon.

Terry
Chuchuf is online now Find More Posts by Chuchuf
Last edited by Chuchuf; Jun 26, 2012 at 12:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:02 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,721 Posts
Where would one purchase this model?

Regards
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,325 Posts
Now on to building. Inside the nacelles, some fiberglass has to be added to reinforce where they transition from mounting to where the fans get installed.On the original model these were dummy fans so they weren't required to support any weight.
The next picture is of the plastic inlet rings I had made from a "tool" I created out of bondo.
And then a sketch of how the fans are attached to the nacelle.

Terry
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:12 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
Where would one purchase this model?

Regards
Good luck finding a kit as PCM has been out of business a long time.There are some out there but hard to find.
I see PCM 1011's come up that were finished from time to time without the turbines. That would be your best bet. Just make sure it was built light.

Terry
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:56 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,325 Posts
Here are some shots of one of these planes that finished during it test flight and maiden from yesterday. This one was already built when I got it and I converted from a single turbine in the tail to twin eJets 90mm jetfans EDF in the nacelles.
It has the same setup that I'm putting in this build except Delta has air gear whereas I'm using electric in this one. Flew incredible.
Photo's by Jerry Smith (he's amazing!!)

Terry
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:12 AM
Not Funny......
United States, CO, Redstone
Joined Dec 2010
912 Posts
Terry,
Very nice models! I have always thought the Tri-Star was the most elegant airliner out there.
Mike
Mike Warren is offline Find More Posts by Mike Warren
Last edited by Mike Warren; Jun 28, 2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:24 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,230 Posts
I love it!
There is such a lack of airliners out there

I have been in contact with norbert rauch to get the parts for his A330... I'd like to build one for twin dynamax setups...

The rouch part is just the fiberglass parts and foam is $1600, the gear is $800... and you still need to buy all your wood, glue, fiberglass....scratch build it. Then buy all your servos, fans and gear.... your into it $5000 by the time your done

I like airliners, just not sure I like them that much,,,lol
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:31 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101 View Post
I love it!
There is such a lack of airliners out there

I have been in contact with norbert rauch to get the parts for his A330... I'd like to build one for twin dynamax setups...

The rouch part is just the fiberglass parts and foam is $1600, the gear is $800... and you still need to buy all your wood, glue, fiberglass....scratch build it. Then buy all your servos, fans and gear.... your into it $5000 by the time your done

I like airliners, just not sure I like them that much,,,lol
Ron,

I have flown a bunch of large EDF airliners and what I like about them is the way they fly. At .55-.7 thrust to weight they fly great so they don't need to be overpowered. And no ducting to deal with, just a lip and small thrust tube.The one yesterday weighed 26.5 lbs and has about 15 lbs total thrust. More than enough takeoff and we roll the throttle back to 60% or so for flight.
They are not real CG sensative and land easy, like a trainer jet. Full flaps on final hold your slight nose up attitude and adjust descent with power.
I didn't do any build threads on the PCM 1011's I did last year because I wanted to be sure I could get enough of these models for my requirements. I'm through buying them now so any that come up are available.
I see them from time to time come up for $1500 or so without the turbine but with air retracts, servos, essentially ready to fly less edf's/speed controllers/batteries/flight battery. So for under $3000 and some work you could have one of these. Probably the hardest thing to do is take he 2+ lbs of lead out of the nose the turbine guys put in to get the plane to balance. That and raise the gear for better ground clearance of the nacelles as well and construct the nacelles for EDF since hey were designed to be dummy's.
That NR A330 is huge. There is a video of Peter Michel flying one on Schuebeler HST 94's.
Airbus A330 - RC Jet - Peter Michel (4 min 44 sec)

Terry
Last edited by Chuchuf; Jun 28, 2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:31 AM
Cumming, GA USA
Joined Jan 2011
222 Posts
I enjoyed watching it fly yesterday bro....looks so realistic!!!

Mitch
warwickcorvette1 is offline Find More Posts by warwickcorvette1
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:37 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,230 Posts
Some day I will build a big old airliner.... it's on my short list
I plan to finish my F-18 next winter then I will pick a new project..

it will come down to Rich Uravich... I'd like to build his giant OV-10 the 110" version for twin electric.... but he hasn't finished the plans and parts yet.

So if it's not out I will go for the Norbert Rauch A330... I want to scratch build something
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warwickcorvette1 View Post
I enjoyed watching it fly yesterday bro....looks so realistic!!!

Mitch
Hey Mitch. Glad you got to see it. Jerry took some fantastic pic's!!

Terry
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:37 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,230 Posts
Quote:
That NR A330 is huge. There is a video of Peter Michel flying one on Schuebeler HST 94's.

Isn't it awesome!! I've read just about all you can on this plane and watched every video over the last couple years... I really want one

The plane can be built with a three piece wing and two piece fuse... Peter Michel transports his in a small station wagon.

I hope to at least buy the glass and foam.... and could always mod some robart gear to work. Will see.... maybe the dollar will get stronger soon and help with the overseas cost.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,325 Posts
Alright, time to get back to work.
Since this plane has down and locked retracts, the gear doors will be servo operated. I did a mockup on the nose gear servos and am considering glueing them in with ShoeGoo. Trying to screw them in will be difficult especially if I need to replace one.
The rings are glued onto the CF EDF housing as well as inside the nacelle. The OD of the ones that go on the EDF are slightly smaller that the OD of the ones that attach to the nacelle so they will slide in the front. The ID of the ones in the nacelle are slightly larger than the EDF housing so that there is space for the thrust tube when they are joined.
Also located the nose wheel retract wood and glued in place. This will be further re-enforced and fiberglassed at a later date.

Terry
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:47 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,876 Posts
Great thread Terry, nice projects. Refreshing change to all the military subjects.
I've always thought the Rauch TU-154 has a neat look to it.
http://rauch-airliner.com/Tupo-Koeln%20008.jpg
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale