HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:19 AM
Joined Dec 2006
86 Posts
Idea
Spinning Direction - Spark Ignition Engine

Not sure if I'm dreaming or not so need some advice.

I have a model helicopter project in mind. It will be powered by the new OS GT15HZ gas engine when it becomes available:

http://www.os-engines.co.jp/english/...newsgt15_e.pdf

For my application, I really want to run this engine "backwards" i.e. have the crank turning clockwise when viewed from the front rather than the conventional anti-clockwise direction.

Is it just a matter of repositioning the timing magnet to the equivalent location before TDC and spinning the engine clockwise to start?

Any lessons someone can help me learn cheaply?

Good advice appreciated.
brw0513_2 is offline Find More Posts by brw0513_2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:44 AM
engine-a-holic
Portugal, Lisboa, Amadora
Joined Jun 2007
314 Posts
Unfortunately not. The intake is timed on the crank, so unless you had a way of rotating the carb 90 to the side of the silencer, like on Enyas, or a rear carb intake like the GT33, on this engine, you're out of luck.

Are you thinking of a Chinook to model?
Patxipt is offline Find More Posts by Patxipt
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:47 AM
Joined Dec 2006
86 Posts
I'm intending to put the GT15HZ into a Henseleit TDR airframe.

Thanks for the quick reply.
brw0513_2 is offline Find More Posts by brw0513_2
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:07 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,123 Posts
In looking at the pics of the engine, it cannot be run in reverse, unless you have a reverse rotation crankshaft made for it. I doubt OS will make one too, but you never know. The crankcase is a one piece design, so you cannot rotate the carb 90 degrees to set it up to run in reverse. Of course you'll have to retime the ignition for reverse rotation too.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:07 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
In looking at the pics of the engine, it cannot be run in reverse, unless you have a reverse rotation crankshaft made for it. I doubt OS will make one too, but you never know. The crankcase is a one piece design, so you cannot rotate the carb 90 degrees to set it up to run in reverse. Of course you'll have to retime the ignition for reverse rotation too.
Indeed. Some makes did have clockwise crankshafts. Like Webra. I used one of these on a Marutaka P-38 in the 70'ies. Like earl says, with an engine that has a detachable front one can rotate it to have clockwise running.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald