SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:17 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
2,934 Posts
EDF Retest with Trouble Maker on the Leaf Blower

Hey Pilots, I just retested the Su on same 4s set up, this time with the TM cooling the ESCs with a gas Leaf Blower! Roughly 2 minutes at 80% THR NO Funny Business-- it seemed to function normally, vid will be up in 25 minutes, will try one more additional test tomorrow
IntheTubeDeep is online now Find More Posts by IntheTubeDeep
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:22 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
I haven't read anything about OpenLRS (of use), but as far as I see the 9XR is the same processor/design etc as the 9X anyway.
ER9X has some DSM2/X stuff for it.... it is just the data stream format.
OpenLRS I don't know... possibly the same chance it can be done, unless the speeds are too high to process?

But the main thing is keeping an eye on those communities (OpenBlahBlah etc....) to see what it does of use, and which TXes they implement it on. But so far it seems 9X, 9XR, pretty well the same thing.
I would get a Sky9X board for a 9X (or 9XR if they can work in both) - plus keep an eye on stuff they are doing.
I was on the verge of buying that Sky9X board, but now need to sit and watch just a bit more to see what is going on overall. The modded 9Xes are all doing everything I need anyway... EXCEPT model memory, seeing most of mine are very complex and EAT memory per model. Changing the processor to a 128 would fix that, but changing that chip would be fun! Though it seems people are doing that ok. Or getting the Sky9X board also solves that (it has far more memory anyway).
I just bought 3 TXes to solve that (prob $60ea once all modded up)... LOL. A bonus is that I have spares to use then and there (not that I ever have needed one)..... and can let other people fly my planes with me sometimes too! (not the same plane of course LOL)
Agreed, the 9XR and Open LRS is so new that there's not much info available about it right now (Well, at least I don't know much about it!!!). The Open LRS Technology is designed for the FPV guys, and therefore has OOS range, but not likely I'd ever go there (But you never know...........).

I might pull the trigger on it out of curiosity (it's only 50 bucks), just because it would be fun to learn about and utilize someday..... Meanwhile, I'll also pick up a 9X to get things going, as it's already a mature product, and would be a much better option than my Futaba 7C which has limited mixes and programmability. I'll probably need to contact you with questions about updating and modding the Tx, if you don't mind?

Thanks for your input!

Regards, Dave

BTW, I've done surface mount IC soldering before, and it's NOT a trivial procedure..... You need really good soldering equipment, an illuminated desk magnifier, good eyes and a steady hand. But yes, it can be done!
davemilw07 is offline Find More Posts by davemilw07
Last edited by davemilw07; Jan 26, 2013 at 08:51 PM. Reason: added footnote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:48 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep View Post
Hey Pilots, I just retested the Su on same 4s set up, this time with the TM cooling the ESCs with a gas Leaf Blower! Roughly 2 minutes at 80% THR NO Funny Business-- it seemed to function normally, vid will be up in 25 minutes, will try one more additional test tomorrow
Perfect...hopefully you have it worked out now.
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:52 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,934 Posts
4s Test #4 CS12B 70mm fans, ARC 28581s, CP110A ESCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
Perfect...hopefully you have it worked out now.
We'll see-- I'll give it one more test tomorrow- I ran it for approx 2 minutes at 75-80%, no funny business occured, this may have been the culprit: the adapter I made to hook up the watts Up meter: current may have bottlenecked as 2 x 4s batts in parallel fed into one XT90
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:54 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3,357 Posts
Ahhhhhh....could have been.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:40 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,934 Posts
Ok here is the vid of TM and the Leaf Blower same 4s Set up, it did NOT do anything strange as before, one more test tomorrow, I think the total run time was about 2 minutes at about 80%

EDF/ARC/ESC Test 4 Trouble Maker on the Leaf Blower (2 min 19 sec)
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:47 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,469 Posts
That video is so wrong in so many ways. The things we do for this hobby. How do we get videos posted to the front page
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:50 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3,357 Posts
LOL....what a production!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:43 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,256 Posts
But they still sound terrible.....
Not the problem reason as before, just sound poorly balanced.
I am not sure if it can be just resonance, or the twin interaction (harmonics), but I don't get that sort of sound in my twins.
It would be best to hear/see one run at a time. But it sounds like mainly one fan mainly.

So you are saying it all happened because of the heat of the ESC's?
And the prior connector reason is unchanged and thus working fine enough (at least there, or for now)?

"Bad bad boy! Never use 4S again!!!"
Pray to the Volts.....
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:41 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
But they still sound terrible.....
Not the problem reason as before, just sound poorly balanced.
I am not sure if it can be just resonance, or the twin interaction (harmonics), but I don't get that sort of sound in my twins.
It would be best to hear/see one run at a time. But it sounds like mainly one fan mainly.

So you are saying it all happened because of the heat of the ESC's?
And the prior connector reason is unchanged and thus working fine enough (at least there, or for now)?

"Bad bad boy! Never use 4S again!!!"
Pray to the Volts.....
Are you sure the terrible sound wan't the 2 stroke leaf blower or me screaming at the TM to hold the blower nozzle on the ESCs and not the cat!? Yeah me and my 4s dreams... haha I think the R fans may out of balance I did feel some vibration on the right side, will check that out . As for the problem in vids 1, 2, possible the watts up meter adapter (XT90-6mm bottleneck) combined with the heat and no cooling, and throw in an unbalanced fan to boot. I just bought the 70 twin F22, that is getting 6s
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:43 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
That video is so wrong in so many ways. The things we do for this hobby. How do we get videos posted to the front page
I gotta set up my SONY SR7 on the tripod, its just crazy to do all that and video with one hand!!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:47 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
LOL....what a production!
You have no idea ha trying to keep the TM focused to cool the ESCs was a killer!!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:14 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
The pre build inspection begins!
VID00457 (0 min 29 sec)
VID00458 (0 min 26 sec)
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:16 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,701 Posts
Yaaaa buddy TM doing the usually...causing Trouble! That made me laugh my a$$ off.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:51 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Yaaaa buddy TM doing the usually...causing Trouble! That made me laugh my a$$ off.
A shame I didn't have my camcorder recording the whole 'event' it was classic TM!