HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:54 PM
Too much to do not enough time
Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2010
273 Posts
I'd buy a set of replacement wings/fuse. You'll trash it eventually..... I sure do.
BobaFett1138 is offline Find More Posts by BobaFett1138
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:43 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
Thanks Joel... I have followed you throughout this thread (you are a bit of a legend lol). Thanks for the input. Put it this way... how do the Hyper 180's compare to the stock Eflite. I will be getting 240's soon.

Has anyone added any tape to the wind leading edges? Had a gentle landing rollover on grass onto a rock which dinged my lower wind edge. Thinking about adding some light hindge tape, but worried about CG issues...........
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Joel and some of the other awesome pilots don't need as much damage-repellant as many of us do.

Personally, I put light tape on the upper wing's leading edge. Also, strips running fore-and-aft from the front of the wing to the aileron -- on the left and right side of the upper wing starting directly above where it attaches to the cabane struts. (That seems to be a chronic "fault line.")

And, I added thin CF rods to each side of the two main wing struts, and spanning the underside of the elevator -- across the flimsy central bridge.

From all that: No noticeable CG effect.

Reduction in Pucker Factor and maintenance down-time???!!!

Ray,

You're welcome! Glad I could help. Regarding the Hyperion 180s vs the stock pack - as Brian noted, there really is no comparison. The Hyp 180 packs provide more thrust, more speed, and they last for hundreds of cycles @ 5c charge.

Me? A bit of a legend?? LOL! I appreciate the compliment, but that's actually kinda scary. Seriously, though - there are a lot of helpful people on these threads. I've surely been helped by many people on RCG. When I decided to get into electrics, I found most everything I needed to know about various planes & power systems by reading reviews on RCG & asking questions. When I decided to learn how to fly helis, I found pretty much everything I needed to know on RCG & HF. I sure wish we would have had the Internet back when I was learning to fly fixed-wing!

Dave,

I appreciate the compliment, but there are quite a few guys on here who are far better pilots than I am!

BTW - I also reinforce certain areas with tape. I reinforce the lower wing-root area with clear packing tape. I also use a strip of clear packing tape on the top & bottom of the elevator joiner area. My indoor B3D looks like it's been in a few full-contact combat sessions. We sometimes get a large turnout, and mid-airs tend to happen often. Also, soccer nets have been known to seemingly appear out of nowhere & snatch a plane or two. There is a dime-sized chunk missing from the upper wing's LE, thanks to a hungry 3D foamie's prop. It was actually kind of funny to watch. A 250-size plane getting knocked out of the air from hitting a 2.5 oz UM. He spun out of control & crashed. The Beast did maybe a quarter-turn spin & recovered immediately. I landed, used heavy-duty Scotch tape to patch the LE, and was back in the air a couple minutes later. That was the day I gained a whole new level of appreciation for what AS3X can do! Now, the entire LE of both wings on my indoor B3D is protected with heavy-duty Scotch tape, as is the LE of the horizontal & vertical stab. The Beast is ready for battle!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:15 PM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Thanks for the info, and thanks Joel. I'll likely be taping up my leading edges as you have. I do no indoor flight but am landing mainly in grass fields.. so protection would be good. I did a first flight on my 3 hyperion 180s at lunch today. Set the timer for 3:30.. to break them in well. Figure I'll do that the first 5 flights or so. Tried to really be easy on them but seemed likely at least as strong as my MadDog 200mahs.

Had a great moment today thought I would share. First Hyperion flight, I am in a field near work. The best I could find where I can do lunch flights, a 365' baseball field (so roughly 120 yard circular area), but surrounded by 50' big, ugly concrete light poles. About a minute in... about 125' up... wind about 7mph.. out of the corner of my eye I see a shape. It gets closer and then I see it is a large hawk.. gliding on the wind.. doing the typical slow circles. Seems he had seen the Beast and wants a closer look. Cut back throttle to maybe 2/3, gently pull up and roll over into him. He flies up and gently turns to match. For about a solid minute we are doing lazy figure 8's and turns.. actually flying together. Never once was he aggressive, nor was I. Very cool to see his wings wiggling gently and correcting in the winds, just as mine were (love AS3X). As a side note the park/field workers had seen me pull in the park and driven over... putting up their feet on their golf cart and watching the flight, and now this very cool show. After maybe just over a minute of flying around, weaving, and circling one another slowly the hawk pulled off and I went to full throttle for some loops and rolls... feeling rather fired up! Overall a great lunch break.

Once I told my daughter of the encounter she suggested how cool would it be to mount a camera on the beast. A hawk's eye view 150' up actually flying right there with a hawk would be "BEAST" as she says lol. Anyone know of a camera that may work?? I go to this field a lot, and he/she might be back to fly with me again... if so I am finding a camera

Ray
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Last edited by dragonshade; Feb 20, 2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:26 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,485 Posts
Quote:
Anyone know of a camera that may work?? I go to this field a lot, and he/she might be back to fly with me again... if so I am finding a camera

Ray
Very cool! I put a #11 808 up on my Beast. It does pretty good with it. But now I'd get a #16. The Beast can carry it without stripping the case off and that's the way I did mine. This video is facing backwards so I don't get the prop arc. View in 720!

UM Beast 3D carrying a #11 camera. (5 min 14 sec)
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:55 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info, and thanks Joel. I'll likely be taping up my leading edges as you have. I do no indoor flight but am landing mainly in grass fields.. so protection would be good. I did a first flight on my 3 hyperion 180s at lunch today. Set the timer for 3:30.. to break them in well. Figure I'll do that the first 5 flights or so. Tried to really be easy on them but seemed likely at least as strong as my MadDog 200mahs.

Had a great moment today thought I would share. First Hyperion flight, I am in a field near work. The best I could find where I can do lunch flights, a 365' baseball field (so roughly 120 yard circular area), but surrounded by 50' big, ugly concrete light poles. About a minute in... about 125' up... wind about 7mph.. out of the corner of my eye I see a shape. It gets closer and then I see it is a large hawk.. gliding on the wind.. doing the typical slow circles. Seems he had seen the Beast and wants a closer look. Cut back throttle to maybe 2/3, gently pull up and roll over into him. He flies up and gently turns to match. For about a solid minute we are doing lazy figure 8's and turns.. actually flying together. Never once was he aggressive, nor was I. Very cool to see his wings wiggling gently and correcting in the winds, just as mine were (love AS3X). As a side note the park/field workers had seen me pull in the park and driven over... putting up their feet on their golf cart and watching the flight, and now this very cool show. After maybe just over a minute of flying around, weaving, and circling one another slowly the hawk pulled off and I went to full throttle for some loops and rolls... feeling rather fired up! Overall a great lunch break.

Once I told my daughter of the encounter she suggested how cool would it be to mount a camera on the beast. A hawk's eye view 150' up actually flying right there with a hawk would be "BEAST" as she says lol. Anyone know of a camera that may work?? I go to this field a lot, and he/she might be back to fly with me again... if so I am finding a camera

Ray
That sounds like a pretty cool moment there Ray! The closest I've come to something like that is flying parallel to a big beautiful blue heron that was on it's nightly flight from one pond to another (I'd seen this beautiful bird making the flight on several other occasions). He was clearly obvlivious of my little plane but it was cool seeing my Beast soaring up there near him.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:07 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
That sounds like a pretty cool moment there Ray! The closest I've come to something like that is flying parallel to a big beautiful blue heron that was on it's nightly flight from one pond to another (I'd seen this beautiful bird making the flight on several other occasions). He was clearly obvlivious of my little plane but it was cool seeing my Beast soaring up there near him.
I've yet to do any propper videos, got a #11 I think, I did put it on my PZ Extra 300 but got carried away and mashed it up!

I have, however, thermalled in my full size glider opposite a Red Kite! That was beautiful also nearly had a head on collision with a Crow once, I was all for teaching it a lesson when at the last minute I realised it was heading for the canopy and I might have a hard time landing with bird guts all over the windscreen

I swear that I saw it laughing at me as I banked away...
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:01 AM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Erkq... Now that was some cool footage. Where do you get these cameras? Most importantly though... fill me in on the carbon fiber rods I see bracing the tail... where did you get those mounts? and can I get some good pics??

Silent and Turner... Great stories. When thinking how awesome it would be to fly planes, I never once thought of maybe flying with birds.. very nice bonus.

On a side note.. Can you guys give me some wind flying tips for the Beast 3D. Like what you do or how do you setup different, and how high of winds do you fly in? For me it seems anything over about 8mph the plane will climb into the sky like mad, even putting the battery 2cm or so more forward than usual. Afraid to go too far, but thinking it should be way forward. Of course elevator controls are overly touchy too. I did put it up once in 14 mph wind, with 20 mph or so gusts... that was a handful for me, and hardly fun. Tips would be great.

So great to have a group with so much more experience with the very same plane, thanks for everything.
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:12 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Erkq... Now that was some cool footage. Where do you get these cameras? Most importantly though... fill me in on the carbon fiber rods I see bracing the tail... where did you get those mounts? and can I get some good pics??

Silent and Turner... Great stories. When thinking how awesome it would be to fly planes, I never once thought of maybe flying with birds.. very nice bonus.

On a side note.. Can you guys give me some wind flying tips for the Beast 3D. Like what you do or how do you setup different, and how high of winds do you fly in? For me it seems anything over about 8mph the plane will climb into the sky like mad, even putting the battery 2cm or so more forward than usual. Afraid to go too far, but thinking it should be way forward. Of course elevator controls are overly touchy too. I did put it up once in 14 mph wind, with 20 mph or so gusts... that was a handful for me, and hardly fun. Tips would be great.

So great to have a group with so much more experience with the very same plane, thanks for everything.
I just saw that you are in Georgia. I live south of Charlotte so if you ever have plans to get up this way, let me know and we can get together for some good flying. My cousin lives outside of Atlanta (John's Creek area) so I might get down that way some time soon too.

Anyway - as far as flying in wind it really depends a lot on how much experience you have. I'm still relatively new to the hobby (been flying for about 14 months now) and I've found that in the first 6 months or so I really had no business flying in much wind (anything over 5mph for my V1 Beast was too much and anything over 8mph was too much for my larger planes) but as time and my skills have progressed I can now safely fly my 3D Beast in winds up to around 15mph and my larger planes much the same.

HOWEVER... I also find that I don't particular enjoy flying in wind over 10mph. But that's based on my flying style. I largely fly low to ground and in harrier and that can be a disaster on windy days (especially if it's gusty). I prefer more 3D flying so hovers and harriers just aren't as fun in windy conditions. If I were to do mainly circuit flying then higher winds wouldn't be as big of a deal. Also - some poeple enjoy "parking" the plane in the wind and sort-of playing with the wind. This can make for some beautiful flying when done right and every now and then I do enjoy doing that. On one particularly windy day I played around with my 3D Beast by trying to land it in the hatchback of my car. That was pretty fun and made somewhat difficult by the windy conditions - I could come in nice and slow due to the strong headwing but as soon as I ducked below the shelter of the car, the plane's flying habits rapidly changed. I WAS successful by the way - I've got it on video too!

In short - it comes down to experience and your own personal flying style. You may find that you CAN fly in windy conditions but you're just not having as much fun. And at the end of the day, fun is what this hobby is all about so you might as well make that your top priority.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,485 Posts
Quote:
Unfortunately I'm out of state, so I don't have my purchase records with me. But the "Official #11" thread has trusted sources. But I'd get a #16 now anyway. No idea where to get those.

Funny what we see when we look through a camera's eyes. Those cf rods bracing the tail are stock! Have a look at your Beast under the tail.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 07:11 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Everything you wanted to know about keychain cam here:
Keychain Cam

A few hundred miles down the page, Chuck is recommanding some Ebay sellers. Those can be trusted. Do not buy from random sellers, you'll get a lemon.
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Oct 2009
226 Posts
camera

Or here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556994

RUD
RUDDERLESS is offline Find More Posts by RUDDERLESS
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Dec 2010
7,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDDERLESS View Post
Yes... the #16... get that one for sure. Better color and better latitude for starters.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:29 AM
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Jan 2012
26 Posts
How much expo are you guys using? I just picked my beast up today.
bradenj is offline Find More Posts by bradenj
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:34 AM
Joined Dec 2010
7,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradenj View Post
How much expo are you guys using? I just picked my beast up today.
None, like the manual says.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:27 AM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Ok I feel like an idiot lol.. I cannot find for the life of me the plug I need. I need the plug that the battery plugs into. I dont need it to have a wire but that would be a problem. I am converting a few planes to use my hyperions so I dont have to carry around a ton of different batteries. Can someone PLEASE provide a link for me? Im begging you lol.

Took the beast out today and had a blast. Last flight I was messing around on 100% rates without any expo and nosed it into the ground full throttle. I was going into the wind and caught a gust and it just spun to the ground too fast for me to react. Snapped the left aileron off and broke the bottom left wing clean off. Laughing all the way to the bird! Was a clean break so I just threw some ca on and shes good as new. This thing rocks!
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz