HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:33 PM
PA Team Pilot
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Apr 2011
573 Posts
All good points. Thanks
CG was good
Yes your right about fighting only the gusts, I wrote that section poorly. Still it couldn't overcome the wind in a controllable manner. It was really sad looking. I was having fun in the wind with my 3D planes and couldn't keep the SS airborne despite it.

Yep, fresh hinges, that a good catch. I'll see about having him pop the linkages off and exercise the hinges.

Could anyone tell me either in terms of degrees or a dimension what the deflections on the surfaces are on your plane? I was getting less than 3/8" deflection at the trailing edge of the ailerons.after I maxed it all out Cant recall the other 2 surfaces. this seems too small
kohersh is offline Find More Posts by kohersh
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kohersh; Feb 07, 2013 at 03:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:33 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
More info please

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohersh View Post
Quick question.
My neighbor just purchased the Value hobby version of of the SS/Bix. Hes new to the hobby and wanted me to accompany him and maiden it. I have never flown one of these planes before myself.
I'm a 3D guy so I set up all the throws to full limit on the outermost horn hole. I thought the surface deflection was very small but launched the plane into 8-10kt wind and it was immediately overwhelmed. All surfaces were virtually inefective. 100' out and the X-wind component was pushing it away from my intended flightpath. I couldn't correct it ,I'm shocked the ailerons could even overcome the wind to keep it right side up,- I was full right stick and rudder cranked all in. Everything I did barely kept the wings level I let him know it wasn't going to make it around landed in the field way out there.

Discouraged, I returned to the pits, reset everything on the inner horn hole for max deflection, a 50% improvement. Launched again, slightly more control but unable to position the plane where I wanted it, barely enough to just eek out a super wide turn back into the wind before being blown off the field and over a roadway. Again full deflection just to achieve that. Landed safely way out again.

So is this typical of these planes in general with their docile behavior and small throws on a windy day? Or is it just crap servos installed in the RTF version. I see pictures of it flying inverted, I know its popular for FPV, and I imagine its a relaxing flier on a calm day, but on the Florida coast we don't get many calm days.
Anyone else had similar experiences.? Thanks for the help
Something is very wrong to have that experience unless the wind was way too strong (>25mph). Could you please post pics of both your aileron servo and horn?
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:12 PM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
All good points. Thanks
CG was good
Yes your right about fighting only the gusts, I wrote that section poorly. Still it couldn't overcome the wind in a controllable manner. It was really sad looking. I was having fun in the wind with my 3D planes and couldn't keep the SS airborne despite it.

Yep, fresh hinges, that a good catch. I'll see about having him pop the linkages off and exercise the hinges.

Could anyone tell me either in terms of degrees or a dimension what the deflections on the surfaces are on your plane? I was getting less than 3/8" deflection at the trailing edge of the ailerons.after I maxed it all out Cant recall the other 2 surfaces. this seems too small
I went over to the VH website to take a look, and it a SS look alike. 1280mm wingspan vs 1400. Also, the ailerons look hinged. Not sure what the problem, but you should have good control, but not 3d. The horns do look a bit small.
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:09 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Quick question.
My neighbor just purchased the Value hobby version of of the SS/Bix. Hes new to the hobby and wanted me to accompany him and maiden it. I have never flown one of these planes before myself.
I'm a 3D guy so I set up all the throws to full limit on the outermost horn hole. I thought the surface deflection was very small but launched the plane into 8-10kt wind and it was immediately overwhelmed. All surfaces were virtually inefective. 100' out and the X-wind component was pushing it away from my intended flightpath. I couldn't correct it ,I'm shocked the ailerons could even overcome the wind to keep it right side up,- I was full right stick and rudder cranked all in. Everything I did barely kept the wings level I let him know it wasn't going to make it around landed in the field way out there.

Discouraged, I returned to the pits, reset everything on the inner horn hole for max deflection, a 50% improvement. Launched again, slightly more control but unable to position the plane where I wanted it, barely enough to just eek out a super wide turn back into the wind before being blown off the field and over a roadway. Again full deflection just to achieve that. Landed safely way out again.

So is this typical of these planes in general with their docile behavior and small throws on a windy day? Or is it just crap servos installed in the RTF version. I see pictures of it flying inverted, I know its popular for FPV, and I imagine its a relaxing flier on a calm day, but on the Florida coast we don't get many calm days.
Anyone else had similar experiences.? Thanks for the help
I'm a bit confused in what you just said.....you say you set everything out then every thing in on the horns. That will give you the same amount of throw either way. You want outer hole on the servo and inner hole on the control surface horn for maximum throw.
Being a 3d guy you may already know this and I just read it all wrong. If so I blame it all on Ted, he's used to it.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:12 PM
PA Team Pilot
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Apr 2011
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
I'm a bit confused in what you just said.....you say you set everything out then every thing in on the horns. That will give you the same amount of throw either way. You want outer hole on the servo and inner hole on the control surface horn for maximum throw.
Being a 3d guy you may already know this and I just read it all wrong. If so I blame it all on Ted, he's used to it.
To clarify, I adjusted only the horns on the surfaces, the servo horns are on the longest setting now. So the adjustment I was referring to was to adjust from the outer to innermost holes at the control surface.

I'm going to have another look at his plane tomorrow. i bet a larger horn is required on both sides. Everything just seemed so small to me, but It was my first time seeing one of these designs in person no matter what mm size ws it was.

Thanks all
kohersh is offline Find More Posts by kohersh
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:17 PM
United States, NY, Mastic
Joined Jan 2009
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
That motor will work fine. You will love the vertical performance.
AJ
Thanks AJ
gman1185 is offline Find More Posts by gman1185
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:54 PM
Joined Nov 2011
18 Posts
Orange RX 415 Problems !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
Why? The correct HK 6Ch Rx is a dollar cheaper and will bind with your HK Tx.
Thanks for the info , Mac50L , I will try the rx you recommend. Best regards and safe landings from Gerhard,807gt.
807gt is offline Find More Posts by 807gt
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:07 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Another receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 807gt View Post
Thanks for the info , Mac50L , I will try the rx you recommend. Best regards and safe landings from Gerhard,807gt.
It is worthy of note that THIS will bind with it, too.
AJ
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:33 PM
Multicopter Crash Tester
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
How I mount my camera platform..... Just an idea for people...

Amfamora is offline Find More Posts by Amfamora
Last edited by Amfamora; Feb 09, 2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:46 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Just a suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfamora View Post

]
For me, I am a little concerned about the anchors being in foam. And, there appears to be only a small amount of contact area. It seems like even a bit of a "hard landing" would not hold the platform in place. If you use a GoPro cam, I am even more concerned. As a suggestion, put a ballast weight in place of your camera on the platform and fly it a few times and make sure that the design will hold the possible shock. I reserve the right to be wrong and I hope I am in this case.
AJ
FWIW - It sure looks.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:54 PM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,226 Posts
AJ, it looks to me as if those actually go down into the foam... Wouldn't be the first time i've been wrong though.
nightfox7 is online now Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:57 PM
Multicopter Crash Tester
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
They are countersunk headed bolts upside down epoxied into the foam (not just glued on top). 1/8th x 12mm. Just a couple of washers between the thread and where the platform sits... as it is tightened down the bolts are not pulled out of the foam at all and it is rock solid.

Used it as an alternative to looping a rubberband around the fuselage which seems a bit silly when this things a belly lander 99% of the time. If need be can put another two in the vertical face of the fuselage where the foam is a bit meatier....

*Edit*

Instead of another set of screws (made it impossible to mount the camera mount) Added some rare earth magnets to the vertical counter sunk 2 magnet width deep so the mount still sits flush. The mount is held in so securely I have no doubt it will handle a Go Pro (Ill be using a Liquid Ego 1/2 the weight, size and cost)..... The Magnets will also help take the forward movement/load off the screws if the plane was to nosedive at speed into the ground (I hope)

Amfamora is offline Find More Posts by Amfamora
Last edited by Amfamora; Feb 10, 2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:03 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfamora View Post
That looks like a great set up. Nice job and thanks for sharing.

Looking forward to seeing some video from you.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:58 PM
Joined Nov 2011
18 Posts
Orange Rx 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
It is worthy of note that THIS will bind with it, too.
AJ
Thanks for the response AJBAKER , but I need a 4 channel rx.Thanks again , Gerhard 807gt.
807gt is offline Find More Posts by 807gt
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:02 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 807gt View Post
Thanks for the response AJBAKER , but I need a 4 channel rx.Thanks again , Gerhard 807gt.
Might as well get the 6 ch and "future proof" it (in as much as that is possible). We've been using the extra channels for dropping things from under the wings.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention