HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:26 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,243 Posts
Hi Again Andy; I was asking about the Speedyplus because I can find it, just not at a good price, And the same for the one called the R/c Acrobat...
I have loads of X-twins in my stable and loads of old transmitters and also, an x-ufo transmitter with the all Silverlit module... See pic.

Also this is a link to several vids of the Acrobat I am talking about mate...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1126275
Machy2k is offline Find More Posts by Machy2k
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:09 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
That's an interesting looking transmitter, Petey.

I see you mean the Micro Acrobat. I hadn't heard of that one before. That reminds me, I have an IR controlled Silverlit Nano Hawk aka Micro Jet (mine was called a Micro Jet but the Nano Hawk seems to be the same thing) somewhere, that I'd sort of given up on. I'll add that to the list for a DT receiver

I can't find the Speedy Plus at what I consider a reasonable price. It's close to 50 (maybe $80), which seems a lot for what it is. I can't really tell from the artists impression style pictures of it but it could even be a profile fuselage. I'm not sure. I have a profile 4 motor X-Twin DIY kit, which is a bit crappy. It didn't turn well and the nose crumpled the first time it hit a wall because it failed to turn in time - I didn't have room to make it do a complete circuit in that hall in St Helens where they have the indoor fly-ins. Totally useless, except as a source of parts.

Amazon.co.uk has the Micro Acrobat for 30 though. That doesn't seem too bad.

http://www.remotecontrolledtoys.co.u...lverlit_planes has the Speedy Plus listed for 30 but it's "pre-order" which means they haven't got any and may be only vaguely thinking about ordering some if there's enough interest. They don't list the Micro Acrobat, which is a shame, because they tend to have some of the best prices....

Okay, found a Micro Acrobat for under 20 + postage:

http://www.gadgetsarcade.com/rc-silv...o-acrobat.html

I'll resist the temptation to buy one for the moment

Maybe when it gets a bit nearer to the start of the next indoor flying season, I'll get one to try making a micro 4CH elevons and rudder conversion with a DT receiver. It would definitely have to be done with actuators, at that size though, so I'd need to get better at soldering the wires for them.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:29 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
I found a Youtube clip of the Speedy Plus - so it does have a full fuselage. It looks quite interesting. Lots of dihedral:

Flying Toys 2 Ch Speedy Plus R/C Plane with 4 Propellers From Silverlit (1 min 9 sec)
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:32 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,243 Posts
Hey Andy; no man the Speedyplus is a full on Silverlit 4 engined plane w/landing gear and everything, I figured you must have seen them, as I said before a friends son is in Germany and I am trying to get him to get one for me, but he is consumed w/travel and beer drinking, lol.
Check out www.silverlit.com they have a video there and definately youtube has a vid..
As for the Nanohawk, I never liked them but the Acrobat I always wanted and I figured you must have seen them, lol...
L8r...
Ps: I wrote this just as you posted the last vid...lol
Pss: that gadgetsarcade price is good...
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:51 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
It might be worth writing to the http://www.remotecontrolledtoys.co.u...lverlit_planes site and asking if they'll be getting the Speedy Plus any time soon. I bought my Thunder Jets there (Jet Scream?), and possibly the Micro Jet (Nano Hawk). They seemed okay. I didn't realise they were still in business, because everything seemed to be out of stock, the last time I looked.

I wasn't impressed by the Nano Hawk either, but it was mostly range problems. The range of the IR stuff isn't very good, and that went a a bit too fast to stay in range for more than a couple of seconds.

I have a few of the IR Silverlit Stingrays (aka AirHogs Cyclone Havoc?) because they were on clearance at Maplin and I thought I'd use the actuators and motors eventually. They fly quite well, and very slow, so I'll definitely be fitting a DT Rx to one of those. I tried fitting a longer wing to one, just to see what it would do. It didn't work out all that well though.

Here's the stock Silverlit Stingray / AH Cylclone Havoc, filmed a few years ago:

Silverlit Stingray (1 min 31 sec)
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:28 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,243 Posts
Oh Yeah Andy I love the Stingray I have one in my collection, my fancy Transmitter is supposed to fly it also..
It is cool, (My fancy Transmitter) but it has a slight problem with the one plane I have tried it with...
Old May 01, 2012, 03:56 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
Do you have a link for the fancy transmitter, Petey? I'm not thinking of buying one, but I'm curious.
Old May 01, 2012, 12:55 PM
AAces High
United States, VA, Midlothian
Joined Feb 2009
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
I found a Youtube clip of the Speedy Plus - so it does have a full fuselage. It looks quite interesting. Lots of dihedral:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnH9jXN7Cys
Hey Andy! Long time no see. She's a nice looking little gem isn't she? Looks like a nice candiate for PZ UM guts. Hmmm... Wonder if they're available here in the U.S.?

Dave

(formerly reset3x)
aeronaught is offline Find More Posts by aeronaught
Old May 01, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Mar 2008
521 Posts
Quote:
That's an interesting looking transmitter, Petey.

I see you mean the Micro Acrobat. I hadn't heard of that one before. That reminds me, I have an IR controlled Silverlit Nano Hawk aka Micro Jet (mine was called a Micro Jet but the Nano Hawk seems to be the same thing) somewhere, that I'd sort of given up on. I'll add that to the list for a DT receiver

I can't find the Speedy Plus at what I consider a reasonable price. It's close to 50 (maybe $80), which seems a lot for what it is. I can't really tell from the artists impression style pictures of it but it could even be a profile fuselage. I'm not sure. I have a profile 4 motor X-Twin DIY kit, which is a bit crappy. It didn't turn well and the nose crumpled the first time it hit a wall because it failed to turn in time - I didn't have room to make it do a complete circuit in that hall in St Helens where they have the indoor fly-ins. Totally useless, except as a source of parts.

Amazon.co.uk has the Micro Acrobat for 30 though. That doesn't seem too bad.

http://www.remotecontrolledtoys.co.u...lverlit_planes has the Speedy Plus listed for 30 but it's "pre-order" which means they haven't got any and may be only vaguely thinking about ordering some if there's enough interest. They don't list the Micro Acrobat, which is a shame, because they tend to have some of the best prices....

Okay, found a Micro Acrobat for under 20 + postage:

http://www.gadgetsarcade.com/rc-silv...o-acrobat.html

I'll resist the temptation to buy one for the moment

Maybe when it gets a bit nearer to the start of the next indoor flying season, I'll get one to try making a micro 4CH elevons and rudder conversion with a DT receiver. It would definitely have to be done with actuators, at that size though, so I'd need to get better at soldering the wires for them.
I love my little Micro Acrobat its got a smaller wingspan than the Nano halk and its RC not IR Control, and at a Wingspan of 150mm (6") its the smallest micro RTF on earth .
richos is offline Find More Posts by richos
Old May 01, 2012, 02:22 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
Hi Dave (formerly reset3x),

Did you achieve your ambition of flying IR at home?

I'd be tempted to install one of the DT/Deltang DSM2 twin ESC receivers in the Speedy Plus. If the current demands are too high (i.e. more than 2A per side), it would be easy enough to boost the outputs, like people sometimes did with Silverlit x-twin guts. Two resistors, one PNP transistor and a FET would do it - in theory you could use a 1 cell lipo Rx driving a 3 cell lipo plane like that if you felt the need

Those receivers can also connect to a pair of external ESCs instead though. I bought some Castle Creations Pixie 7A ESCs on clearance, and they're pretty liight - about 3g each, with wires:

http://www.e-flight.co.uk/speed-cont...a-brushed.html

Wind back a couple of pages for my DT Rx43d-3-v5, in a 2CH X-Twin Jet, if you've just joined us:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post21427096

For the Speedy Plus, I'd at least add an elevator too. Either a servo, or an actuator, though I've discovered I struggle to solder actuator wires, at least I did on the iWingz ornithopter.

richos,

Thanks for the photo. That's a handy reference for me because the Micro Acrobat is the only one there that I don't own already

I've met someone at the St Helens indoor fly-ins who's fitted a DT actuator receiver (similar to my Rx42, but possibly a lighter version) to a Palm-Z. He's also made some very nice scratch built scale biplanes with them.
Old May 01, 2012, 07:04 PM
Proud of Brushless Sprouts
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2007
328 Posts
Quote:
Do you have a link for the fancy transmitter, Petey? I'm not thinking of buying one, but I'm curious.
I think this is what you are looking for:
http://www.x3d-shop.de/shop/article_...aid%3D70001%26
http://www.x3d-shop.de/shop/article_...d%3D100887n%26
Commander Clumsy is offline Find More Posts by Commander Clumsy
Old May 01, 2012, 10:32 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,243 Posts
Hi Andy I have been busy, Commander Clumsy has shown you the link...
I will give you the History tomorrow, lol..
As I said before mine works, but there is a problem so far with my Twinhawk and this tranny...
L8r...
Old May 02, 2012, 02:48 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
Thanks, Commander and Petey,

The price for the basic Tx seems pretty good, though adding the module bumps that up quite a bit. Does that add model memories?

Does it make X-Twins and other Silverlit planes steering any more proportional? There's definitely scope for doing that, in a number of ways, so I would hope so. They don't seem to give any really useful information about them on that site. What it does say is pretty vague.
Old May 03, 2012, 07:59 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, Commander and Petey,

The price for the basic Tx seems pretty good, though adding the module bumps that up quite a bit. Does that add model memories?

Does it make X-Twins and other Silverlit planes steering any more proportional? There's definitely scope for doing that, in a number of ways, so I would hope so. They don't seem to give any really useful information about them on that site. What it does say is pretty vague.
Hi Andy I have been busy, the X-ufo module came from experiments done after some very smart guys figured out that the programming for Silverlits radios had more Throttle steps and also turn steps. So it adds like 16 steps of throttle, 7 steps of turn, and more range, and we are supposed to be able to add other Silverlit models by adding other programming.. (My numbers may be off a little, lol).
As I said before mine seems to have a problem, and I gave up for the moment trying to talk to X-ufo about it.. they don't like me anymore because I told them the shipping time was horrendous..lol
Also the X-ufo module has programming for a lot of Silverlit models and IR ones also, so I was happy to get it, but until it works it is a waste of $90.00.. but we shall see...
Petey..
Last edited by Machy2k; May 03, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old May 05, 2012, 12:44 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
I hope you get it sorted out Petey. I imagine the shipping has to be either horrendously slow, or alarmingly expensive - that's certainly the case if I try to order from the US (haven't done that for a while). They're not doing themselves any favours leaving things unresolved though. Some of the other people who were thinking of buying one are bound to find your posts and think twice about it.

My Turbo Express (Foxfire?) arrived today. The forecast for tomorrow is calm and not raining so I might even get to try it out, but I'm not sure I believe it. Weather like that just doesn't seem to happen any more. We'll see.

I checked it with the Tx it came with, and my old AA / X-Twin biplane Tx that I fitted a channel change switch to. The engine notes sound different with the two Tx's when it's turning to me, but then my musical ear isn't that good. I'll take both with me and see if I can confirm it. If so, the older Tx will be giving a tighter turn.

Earlier in this thread (or one of the older parts of it, in earlier threads), there's a design for a proportional steering X-Twin / AA Tx, using an AVR microcontroller and the innards of a cheap 27MHz toy Tx with some pots fitted. I think there are 16 steps on each motor, but the guy who designed that found it was best to limit the difference between the motors to some extent, so not all combinations were allowed. I considered making one but I don't have any way of programming an AVR. The narrow turn / wide turn conversion with microswitches to give two steps in each direction is the easiest route, I guess.

My biggest problem with 27MHz Silverlits has been the 27MHz bit though. I can take them to the St Helens indoor fly-in because they have a peg system for Silverlits, but there's still the possibility of someone bringing a proper 27MHz PPM transmitter, and swamping them. At the other main indoor fly-in I go to, there's no frequency control at all for 27MHz, so I had to give up taking them.

For park flying though, the more proportional 27MHz system would be fine. Even so, I think some of them would benefit from adding a working elevator, and the extra weight doesn't matter so much outdoors. I have one of the original bipes with Kyosho Minium Cessna guts fitted in it. Both motors are wired together and it has rudder and elevator controls, using the two on board servos. It's not as good indoors, really, because it has to fly faster, but it's quite fun outdoors on a calm day.