SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:58 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
Sweet fuse ironjeff, and welcome to the forums! I like all the cool new fuses on this thread.

My buddy finally managed to bust the nose off my aging insulator today, but it's already patched up & ready for more "bashing". Not bad considering how many hard landings and crashes it has seen; by a long shot it's my favorite plane for times when we're having fun dog fighting or flying 2' high threading soccer goals.

My buddy and I recently decided we will build 2 more insulators next, using the same 3000kV bluwonder 2s 4.75x4.75 setup that has worked so well on mine. This time we don't have fff, so we're going to try laminated depron. I have some 1, 3, and 6mm depron, but I haven't done enough depron to know how to "emulate" 1/4" FFF (weight wise). Any suggestions on a lamination combo that would be the same density as 1/4" FFF? (granted it will be stiffer and less crash resistant than fff, so I might make the fuse out of 3 or 6mm epp)

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2009, 11:26 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMoo
...I accidentally put my fins too close once. Drew a lines on the bottom of the wing for placement and put the fin on the wrong side of the line I like the looks of the plane too. A blast to fly in the evening when its dead calm
LOL!!! I did the same thing on mine; I measured both fin lines from the root, then installed the right fin inside the line and the left fin outside the line. Best part is it flies great anyways, and I'm the only one that notices the slight left yaw.

Cheers,
Kev

FWIW, my buddy likes the "F4ness" of my insulator, so he's likely to go with a single fin.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:54 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
Video: HXT 24gm 3000kV 2s910

I finally had a chance to get some video of my Insulator last weekend. It still flies pretty good despite the fact it's all beat up from over a year and a half of abuse.

The Insulator (3 min 6 sec)

Cheers,
Kev
Old Sep 05, 2009, 03:56 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
The Final Flight

A few weeks ago I decided my aging Insulator was ready for a replacement airframe, so I headed out to the field on a mission of destruction with my video camera. Enjoy!

FFF Insulator Crash and Burn (2 min 18 sec)

Cheers,
Kev

ps: The replacement Insulator is going to be ready for maiden tomorrow. It's the same, but built with PB3 instead of Bluecor, 2mm coro fins, and balsa elevons. Should be another year of fun with the Insulator. Anyone else still flying an Insulator?
Old Sep 07, 2009, 09:36 PM
Ohio
Joined Oct 2003
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite
Anyone else still flying an Insulator?
I still have 3 going strong Also have 2 airframes ready for equipment. One is about 22" ws and is made of PB3. Nice replacement for the bluecor we can't find anymore
MickeyMoo is offline Find More Posts by MickeyMoo
Old Sep 08, 2009, 01:38 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
Cool MickeyMoo! I had way too much fun with my first Insulator; so fun that I would call it my favorite plane if I wasn't so indecisive, lol! So I made a rule that I must always have a good one on me at the field.

I'll post pics when we're both done with decorations. I have to add a Russian fighter details to mine; red stars and red fin tips... My buddy's planning on a USAF scheme, so I'm hoping we can get some good pics and vid of us dog fighting some time.

Cheers,
Kev
Old Sep 08, 2009, 05:01 PM
Ohio
Joined Oct 2003
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite
I made a rule that I must always have a good one on me at the field.

I'll post pics when we're both done with decorations.
Cheers,
Kev
LOL... I feel the same. With three ready to go and 2 airframes as backup I'm covered. Mine are holding up much better since I got some better Rxs. Even with a glitchy Rx (or flying them into a fence )these are a tough bird to kill. I'm still flying my first that is over 4 years old. When the nose gets banged up I just replace it from just behind the LE forward.
Looking forward to the pics. I think the hardest part of building these is deciding how to decorate them
MickeyMoo is offline Find More Posts by MickeyMoo
Old Sep 11, 2009, 01:15 AM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
Hopefully it survives this weekend in good enough condition to detail.

I rewound a hot little bluewonder to go with my new 2s910 PL2 pack. I actually had to drop in an 18A esc to feed this beast! My AUW is up to 7.2oz, but to me that's OK considering it now gets 280W/lb at 73% efficiency. My 2s730 PL2's might be up to the abuse, but I'm not sure saving 6.3gm would be worth it. I'm curious to see how all this works out in the air. This weekends test flights should be a blast; wish me luck!

Cheers,
Kev

ps: I guess I could have saved that Insulator. Looking at the vid you can see the nose is wasted, but the rest of it was in pristine condition, lol.
Last edited by Truglodite; Sep 11, 2009 at 01:22 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:26 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
More Insulator Action!

Got some video of our Insulators in action today!

Brian's Insulator (Grey Navy Scheme):
-Hex "Blue Wonder" Rewound 10T-24awg-DLRK-Delta
-TP Prolite V2 2s910
-GWS 5043HD
-T-Bird 18
-Spektrum 6100
-HXT500's

My Insulator (Black Russian Scheme):
-Turnigy "Red & Blue Wonder" Rewound 10T-23awg-DLRK-Delta
-TP Prolite V2 2s910
-GWS 5043HD
-Jeti Advance 18
-Berg 4L
-HXT500's

Brian's Insulator wrecks in the first video, but you can see him flying the rest of his pack out in the next video. Almost indestructible!... just a few cosmetic repairs and Brian's going to have her better than new.

Pair of Insulators (3 min 11 sec)

...and immediately after (too lazy to splice).
More Insulators (0 min 59 sec)

Cheers,
Kevin
Old Apr 16, 2010, 08:33 AM
coventry, new york
Joined Jan 2009
190 Posts
do u guys think a 2208-8 with a 3s 1000 will be too much for this plane? if it is, what size prop for a fc 2805 on 2s, or will i get better performance from a 1700 bw on 3s? this will be used for our club's open 300 ft. pylon course that's why i would rerally like to use the 2208-8-- it screams with a 4.5x4!
06xlt is offline Find More Posts by 06xlt
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:52 AM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
I bet the Insulator could handle a 2208 and still be fairly easy to launch. It's actually very floaty with 2s910 and a 24gm motor (hand catchable if it had a decent handle to grab). My buddy recently repaired his Insulator and it gained nearly 2oz in dead weight, but still flew fine with the lighter setup. No snaprolls, easy hand launch, reasonable recovery... So go for the gold!

Kev
Old Feb 04, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1 Posts
Hello,
I just decided to build an Insulator for me aswell.
Do you think I could build such a plane with my selfmade CD-Rom engine which pushes about 6oz in combination with a 12 amp controler and a 910 0r 350 mAh battery (I´m not sure, if the engine has enough power for the 910 mAh battery.
If that wouldn´t work I would be pleased about other advices!
Béla
be.st. is offline Find More Posts by be.st.