HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 19, 2004, 11:43 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,455 Posts
Canada's Latest Beaver IV

The previous thread on this topic can be found at:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6&page=1&pp=15 The journey continues. Moderator Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2004, 01:48 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Not that I mind a little breaking up of these looooonnng threads but I've noticed a couple of threads in the Jets forum that are over 1,500, even over 3,000 posts.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Nov 19, 2004, 02:59 PM
Accipiter collecting dust
Williamston, Michigan, USA
Joined Sep 2004
44 Posts
Regarding my nearly dead servo, it came in the 'Accipiter Badius' (read cheep beater powered glider) I don't know the brand, but I got another servo on order already for 12 bucks delivered.

Yeah, I checked the control horn -- I'm good at the logic of running down a problem... it's funny - the servo will travel abuot 1/8 turn at the very end of one direction, with trim pushed all the way over, and if I reverse the throw from the Tx, the tiny bit of travel is at the same end (need to push stick and trim all the way opposite of previous test).

Lastly, if I manually turn the servo while off, it will rotate all the back out to the end of its travel again when I power on...
BeaverNear is offline Find More Posts by BeaverNear
Old Nov 19, 2004, 04:11 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,455 Posts
Dear Grejen:
I was trained by administration to close threads at 500 posts to keep them more manageable. I moderate as I was asked to do. I don't monitor how the other moderators are doing their job. By posting the links as I do no one should have any problem following from one to another. Moderator Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2004, 10:25 PM
Mr. Tracon's better half
Gibsons, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
195 Posts
Yeah you tell him MIKE !!!

Hahahaha !

Beverly
Mrs Tracon is offline Find More Posts by Mrs Tracon
Old Nov 19, 2004, 10:36 PM
Mr. Tracon's better half
Joined Apr 2004
195 Posts
Yeah! I get to be the first to post a new pic in the new Beaver thread.

Mr. Tracon flying this afternoon at the dryland.

Here's a shot of "Thomas" the beaver going through the log bunk.

Beverly
Old Nov 21, 2004, 01:41 AM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Quote:
I was trained by administration to close threads at 500 posts to keep them more manageable.
No worries Mike. Actualy I prefer the break at 500 as you say - too keep it manageble.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2004, 01:43 AM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Man that's a beautiful shot Bev. Love the 'framing'. If we get a real nice one of mine it'll be my windows background for sure.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2004, 02:03 AM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,970 Posts
Having real fun with my Beaver. Motor is 2025/5400 Himark brushless on Himark box with a Dutch Tsunami 10 Esc and 8 X 650 NiMH cells. Wing stiffened with glass reinforced packing tape and double struts. All tail surfaces are v.light 3.2mm balsa with Profilm covering and Diamond tape hinging. All up weight is 400 grams. Flight times are 10 mins plus on this set up in calm weather. Sorry, not spending money on Lipos as I have too many round cells.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old Nov 21, 2004, 12:19 PM
USA, VT, Brandon
Joined Aug 2004
1,342 Posts
Belated pix of my one and only.....

Well, I know you're supposed to post pix BEFORE you fly for obvious reasons, but here she is. Totally glassed (remind me not to do that again) and painted. Still haven't figured out the decal thing, so I'm faking it for now. I'm running a 400D with 1047 props and 8 cell kan 1050's. Flies nice but she's no glider

1/2 hour later she was resting at the top of a 60' willow tree. I thought I would try banking over the tree and coming in for a landing on a strip of lawn in front of my barn. You should have seen the rig I built to poke it out of that damn tree. A real work of art.

I'm enjoying the way the beaver looks in the air more and more....especially at sunset. Now if I can only figure out how to shoot pictures and fly at the same time....

Thanks for all of your posts. I couldn't have built it without them.

Steve
millerhill is offline Find More Posts by millerhill
Old Nov 21, 2004, 03:41 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
400D, 8 cell 1050, glassed, - I guess it's no glider
What's the AUW?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2004, 04:11 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
crashed

Crashed and wiped out my float struts again (3rd time now). They look great and hold up the plane fine but certainly don't take crashes like the rest of the plane.

The reason for the crash was a nasty tip stall from the hand launch, I'm not flying over water remember. A subsequent flight on wheels indicated that the plane was barely able to maintain airspeed. However since the power setup has not changed and the weight of the plane has not changed so the reason for lack of airspeed is a bit of a mystery. I'm thinking there are two possibilities:

1. Batteries cold. It was hovering only a few degrees above freezing. Are NiMhs that sensitive to temperature?
2. Motor tired. Stock GWS 300C now has maybe 1000minutes of run time on it. Running 7 cell NiMhs what would be a life expectancy of that motor?

btw - I'm sure Sam is about to post the pic of the crash site.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2004, 05:33 PM
USA, VT, Brandon
Joined Aug 2004
1,342 Posts
Grejen...AUW of my bird is 22oz. with an 8 cell kokam 1050 bat. Sorry to hear about your crash. Sounds like you're ready for a 350 timed motor. that battery probably fried your 300 by now. If you had an amp meter, you could tell how much it's drawing and maybe make some comparisons. Could be your battery is tired as well?

Steve
millerhill is offline Find More Posts by millerhill
Old Nov 21, 2004, 05:56 PM
Mr. Tracon's better half
Joined Apr 2004
195 Posts
Hi Greg,

I have the pic, but it is sad.

Do you really want me to post it???

Beverly
Old Nov 21, 2004, 07:09 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Beverly, Sure go ahead. All the damage is to the float struts.

Steve, I do have an amp meter and several 300 motors. I'll check the draw, thank you. Wasn't sure how else to tell if the motor was dieing.
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread