SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:16 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
The landing rules are pretty explicit and well covered. I have no interest in talking about shed parts and landing.

AMA rule 7 states: The time will end when the model touches the ground or any ground-based object.

This rule does not exclude "parts" of the model and the landing rule clearly includes parts of the model as the model, i.e. you cannot say that the canopy is not the model it is only a part of the model.

Is the prop part of the model? Is the canopy part of the model? You can't have one definition for landing and another for launching. If a shed part zeros the landing they why is the shed part touching the ground on launch not considered a clock stopper? So if someone throws a prop and it skewers another competitor the time should not be stopped, but a canopy pops off a Radian on landing and you get a zero?

Leaving it up to every CD is only asking for anarchy.

BTW - Good points, Don. Pilot and spectator safety is numero uno.

However, if the rule remains ambiguous, as CD I will stop the clock when a shed part hits the ground on launch and I don't think that someone who has a thrown prop sticking out of his arm would appreciate a comment like "Hey, at least it wasn't the plane." If, God forbid, that were to happen I would zero the flight (at a minimum) - even though "technically" the plane did not hit him.
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:04 PM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,563 Posts
Hello!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbrust View Post
Don,

The loss of a prop blade is basically covered. The ALES landing rule is:

No landing points will be awarded if:

1. The model sustains significant damage during landing and, in the opinion of the contest director or his designate, is not safely flyable,

Randy
But the "not safely flyable" only applies IF the model is damaged during landing. Change "and" to "or" in the above quoted section and then damage incurred during flight would apply (thrown prop & resulting damaged fuse from vibration). But the way the rule above is written, one would first have to damage the plane during landing for the second half of the sentence to apply.

Cheers!
Glen
gpeden is offline Find More Posts by gpeden
Old Sep 23, 2013, 01:34 PM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaizon View Post
My wife is convinced that she is the cd at home.
Mine has been for 37+ years.....
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old Sep 24, 2013, 07:47 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,132 Posts
You guys should run for Congress ...
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev