HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:47 AM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,477 Posts
BOT conversion

YEP,
The newer electric stuff is great for these birds. I just bought an old BOT that was built by a VERY good builder. (thanks Norm!)Hhe followed the article from the 80s written by Dave Thornberg the original designer. It is in fine shape
but I did redo the nose to cowl in a motor and fit it to a 45mm spinner. It was a slightly tricky redo to keep it looking great but worth it. just have to paint the nose now
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:06 AM
United Kingdom, England, Biggleswade
Joined Feb 2013
90 Posts
I have e-converted my 1980's Algebra 8 100" to electric. I am using a 3548 900kv Brushless outrunner and 3 s LiPo.
Andy1248 is offline Find More Posts by Andy1248
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:16 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2009
72 Posts
I am looking to convert a Model Flight Step 3 (Early 90's glider), Brishless power an Astro Mini Challenger and Possibly put a hot outrunner in a Graupner Biene that once had a Astro 05 FAI and would get a 7 min flight from a 5 second motor run.
udlman is offline Find More Posts by udlman
Old Sep 11, 2013, 07:02 PM
Baltimore
Joined Feb 2010
18 Posts
Oly II S

Just finished my electric Oly II.
What a floater!!!!
shepard62 is offline Find More Posts by shepard62
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:13 AM
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
847 Posts
Some great old birds there. Love the Algebra.

I remember the Capella slowly climbing to around 150 ft in about 1 minute with the speed 400, 6x4 folder & 7 nicads (600mah from memory).

The reborn Capella has a 16 turn 2217 Turnigy & 8x5 prop with a 1300 3s (wanted to go smaller but prefer battery weight to lead weight) and hits 150 ft in about 10 seconds. Maiden last week went well. Still some trimming to be done but not bad for an oldie.

Al
_AL_ is offline Find More Posts by _AL_
Old Nov 15, 2013, 09:52 PM
rfk
CT
Joined Nov 2003
299 Posts
One of the guys has converted his Paragon which is about 20 years old to electric. He is running a 25 outrunner with a 3 s 2200mah pack not sure about the prop... Flies great!
rfk is offline Find More Posts by rfk
Old Nov 16, 2013, 01:45 PM
Addicted to lazy-flying models
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Apr 2013
122 Posts
Go for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
I currently working on adding electric power to an Aquila. I'm stopped at cutting off the nose!. Can't seem to get up the nerve...
I do encourage you go go for it. I had an old can 600 in my Aquila with a 2.5:1 gearbox on a Master Airscrew folder, and flew it that way for years. Now I have a high Kv brushless inrunner driving through a 3:1 gearbox, and a 13-7 1/2 Sonic-Tronics folding prop. It climbs with authority, and best of all it's still an Aquila, with all the lovely flying characteristics of the breed.
azdiane is offline Find More Posts by azdiane
Last edited by azdiane; Nov 16, 2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2013, 10:34 PM
rfk
CT
Joined Nov 2003
299 Posts
Well, not electric but, a goody for sure... One of the old members of the club passed away and I brought this glider from his wife... Of, course the rudder was missing and knowing that he had Larry Jolly's 2m Electricus. I was thinking it was the 2m sailplane. The tail features are from Electricus and the fuse sort-of looks like bigger version of the Flinger. But, looking at the wing which is 78" but it is a flat bottom airfoil not a Epper foil! Thinking about it more I realized I showed him my Drifter 2 stretched wing and that is what he used. In my defense it was 20 years ago... At any rate I put it up on a light hi-start and it flew great!
Old Dec 06, 2013, 05:10 AM
FT.MYERS FL.
Joined Mar 2009
76 Posts
Old sailplanes

Just converted a grande esprit mainly because of todays 12-volt winches . It was a disaster waiting to happen. Soooo
unscrewed the nose cone and mounted a e-flote 25 870kv
from behind the firewall w/ a 45 amp s.c. And a 2650 3-cell lipo.
Get 3-climbs to a 1000' . On a good day i have to coax it down
as it wants to float forever! What a blast and no more
wing flexing from a dreaded winch!
CUMICBOY is offline Find More Posts by CUMICBOY
Old Dec 06, 2013, 10:38 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdiane View Post
I do encourage you go go for it. I had an old can 600 in my Aquila with a 2.5:1 gearbox on a Master Airscrew folder, and flew it that way for years. Now I have a high Kv brushless inrunner driving through a 3:1 gearbox, and a 13-7 1/2 Sonic-Tronics folding prop. It climbs with authority, and best of all it's still an Aquila, with all the lovely flying characteristics of the breed.
Thanks for the encouragement. My biggest concern is getting the thrust angle correct via the cutoff. I've got the nose marked for what I hope is straight line, by the eyeball method. For straight, I'm using the main wing's underside as a guide. Does this sound correct?
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Dec 06, 2013, 10:54 AM
rfk
CT
Joined Nov 2003
299 Posts
I am doing a Paragon e-conversion and what I have noticed is you need a fair amount of down thrust to handle the power... These wings generate lots of lift under speed! On some of the smaller projects I have glued the firewall in with yellow glue and tried it before a final gluing and reinforcing of the firewall.. Also if you have room you can shim the motor to the firewall.
Old Dec 06, 2013, 12:10 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfk View Post
I am doing a Paragon e-conversion and what I have noticed is you need a fair amount of down thrust to handle the power... These wings generate lots of lift under speed! On some of the smaller projects I have glued the firewall in with yellow glue and tried it before a final gluing and reinforcing of the firewall.. Also if you have room you can shim the motor to the firewall.
I hadn't thought about the lift issue, per se, but I can easily see that.

Have you used down elev compensation under power? My 2M Minimoa climbs like heck under full power because of the straight line thrust, so I use 20% down elev to comp.

Thanks

randy
Old Dec 06, 2013, 12:32 PM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,213 Posts
you got it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
I hadn't thought about the lift issue, per se, but I can easily see that. Have you used down elev compensation under power? My 2M Minimoa climbs like heck under full power because of the straight line thrust, so I use 20% down elev to comp. Thanks randy
Hi Randy, thats the hot ticket for these models also.
Just a bit of down-elevator-trim linked to more throttle power and you won't have the rollercoaster ascent thing going on.
For my 80's design Ultra-Mk4 kit build i did a year ago i have 15% down trim to full throttle and that is with a 220watt motor/3s 850mah lipo and 10-6 prop.
You will be surprised how *little* power is needed to get these guys to a decent altitude.

take care and good luck with conversion, john s.
jswain is online now Find More Posts by jswain
Last edited by jswain; Dec 06, 2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 09:11 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswain View Post
Hi Randy, thats the hot ticket for these models also.
Just a bit of down-elevator-trim linked to more throttle power and you won't have the rollercoaster ascent thing going on.
For my 80's design Ultra-Mk4 kit build i did a year ago i have 15% down trim to full throttle and that is with a 220watt motor/3s 850mah lipo and 10-6 prop.
You will be surprised how *little* power is needed to get these guys to a decent altitude.

take care and good luck with conversion, john s.
I chopped off my Aquila's nose today and started fitting a motor. I'm going with a 950kv, 3S 1500 or 2650mah (cg dependent), 10x8 OR 11x6. Wish me luck. I'm wondering if the 20 y/o Monokote needs replacing. Seems a tad loose, but maybe a little heat can tighten it up. It's all transparent red and I'll need to make the bottom solid black so I can see it up high, so maybe I should just recover the entire wing.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 09:18 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmo01 View Post
YEP,
The newer electric stuff is great for these birds. I just bought an old BOT that was built by a VERY good builder. (thanks Norm!)Hhe followed the article from the 80s written by Dave Thornberg the original designer. It is in fine shape
but I did redo the nose to cowl in a motor and fit it to a 45mm spinner. It was a slightly tricky redo to keep it looking great but worth it. just have to paint the nose now
Creating a cowl around the motor has me scratching my head for a fairly straight forward method. I could and have test fitted the motor entirely in the fuse, but the prop won't fold due to the rather large oval shaped nose. If I mount it entirely in front of the cutoff, it will fold, but the motor is hanging out in the breeze. Good for cooling but not so good looking.

How did you make your cowl? My spinner will be a 45mm as well.