HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2013, 02:21 PM
30 RC's and counting
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2005
948 Posts
Build Log
Lipo powered Roomba.

This is a real simple and quick build log that I did this morning.

I was sweeping up the dogs fur when I remembered I had a roomba a few years back and stopped using because the stock batteries sucked. I had been toying around with the idea of making it lipo powered but never got around to it. Its so simple that I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

So the stock battery is 14.4v Nicd so a 4s lipo makes a decent replacement. I tried taking it apart the stock battery with my triangle security bits, but it wasn't happening. Only one screw came out and the rest just started stripping.

My 4S lipo is made of two 2S 5000mah 20C lipos wired in series. These are about $13 a piece from Hobbyking.com or other international online stores.

As you can see on the stock battery, there are 3 connections. Two are negative and one are positive. What their exact purposes are, I don't know, and don't need to know. I just made sure I soldered the connections up the same on the roomba lipo battery wires. The wires then passes through a hole I drilled through the stock battery location and exits under the flap on the top. I made the wires a tad short, but it works just fine.

The batteries are mounted on top and in the front. I had them towards the back, but then Roomba was popping a wheelie the whole time. The stock battery is very heavy and in the front, so the lipos also need to be in the front. Sticky back velcro is what holds them in place.

Lipos should not be discharged to low, so while testing mine I have a lipo balancer tester plugged into one of my batteries balance plugs. I've been keeping an eye on it and don't want the batteries to drop below 3.4v per cell. The Roomba has ran for well over an hour and the batteries are resting at 3.65v per cell.
Bmr4life is offline Find More Posts by Bmr4life
Last edited by Bmr4life; Mar 24, 2013 at 09:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2013, 06:18 AM
Hungary, Pest County, Tököl
Joined Oct 2010
332 Posts
So it seems that I have done this mod a bit earlier, but my solution is similar to yours.

One difference is that I am using 2.6Ah only and my robot is able to work 3 hours. It is not a Roomba but a cheaper clone.

The other difference is that I have ordered my LiPo's in a manner that they fit my battery bay, so nothing is stuck out.
The only disadvantage is that after 3 hours I have to loosen 2 screws to open the bay when I want to charge the batts.

Third diff is that I am using a diode in teh circuit to lower the voltage of the pack.
This way the original alarm thet chime when batteries are depleted rings with the LiPos as well.
Now it is safe to operate the vaccum cleaner without beeing afraid that it will ruin my LiPos by overdischarging it.

And here is the link to the mod:
RobotX R800 robot vacuum cleaner with LiPo pack (2 min 7 sec)
icah is offline Find More Posts by icah
Old Apr 12, 2013, 07:13 AM
30 RC's and counting
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2005
948 Posts
I thought about modding the stock case and fitting some smaller lipos in there, but I don't mind mine being on top and I can still use them for other stuff. That diode idea is great though, Thanks.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 01:40 AM
Sloping the Financial Cliff
USA, CA, Santee
Joined Oct 2007
2,463 Posts
What Diode did you use?
fcbflyer is offline Find More Posts by fcbflyer
Old May 07, 2014, 01:34 PM
Joined Oct 2010
332 Posts
KY130/100, this one: http://www.datasheetarchive.com/dlma...DSA-700831.pdf
Old May 07, 2014, 02:02 PM
30 RC's and counting
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2005
948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icah View Post
Thank you, but there is no KY130/100 on that sheet. You mean 1000?
Last edited by Bmr4life; May 07, 2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old May 08, 2014, 09:19 AM
Joined Oct 2010
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmr4life View Post
Thank you, but there is no KY130/100 on that sheet. You mean 1000?
Sorry, yes, 1000. But it does not matter, any diode that can bear >0.3A does the job, most of 1Nxxxx I guess will do.