HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:11 PM
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
Joined Apr 2011
153 Posts
Help!
Lobster Boat Tender

Hi, I have a lobster boat (scale 1/10) and a little dinghy (scale 1/12). It's fun to pull the dinghy with my lobster boat, but I can see, that it don't fit (scale). Also my dinghy will be the tender for a scratch build pilot cutter.

I want to build a new boat (tender) for my lobster boat in the right scale.

My question is: Have lobster men a special type of tenders to get to their boat? And if not, are they using more little or big tenders?

My lobster boat is 29 feet long, I'm thinking about a tender that is around 11 feet long.

I know, they usually leave the tender at the buoy, but I want to pull it sometimes.

Greetings
Chris
Chris995 is offline Find More Posts by Chris995
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aero II
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:27 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
United States, NY, Westchester
Joined Jul 2011
1,808 Posts
From my observations in Maine and Massachusetts lobstermen care little what they use to get to the mooring. I have seen everything from 8 foot molded dinghies to some that looked like they screwed some plywood together in a V shape with a flat bottom on it. It Is rare to see a lobster boat towing a dingy, at least in my experience. In protected cove they oftenwill stand and skull or paddle the dinghy with one oar just to get back and forth to the mooring.
In short they usually are nothing fancy like a yacht tender.

Bill
sound sailor is online now Find More Posts by sound sailor
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:37 PM
Joined Nov 2010
205 Posts
Chris
I've been using Playmobil's Pirate Row boat for my life boats and stiffs. I buy the one with two seats, cut out everything from the inside and outside with a Dremel and then using Evergreen plastics rebuilt the insides, seat, bow and stern seats, add a rudder if you want and oar locks and they make a pretty good Dingy. They measure 5 inches in length. Hope this helps. Cpl.fuzz
CPL.FUZZ is online now Find More Posts by CPL.FUZZ
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Nov 2010
205 Posts
Chris. Sorry I forgot to add a picture of the lastest one I did for my Tour Master boat. Cpl.fuzz
CPL.FUZZ is online now Find More Posts by CPL.FUZZ
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:05 PM
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
Joined Apr 2011
153 Posts
Thank you Bill, I build my lobster boat more like a day trip boat, you go out with on a sunny sunday. It's a non working lobster boat. I just thought, when I've already build a traditional type of lobster boat, I could build a traditional tender too. But when they haven't traditional tenders, I'll build whatever I like.

Thank you CPL.FUZZ, that is a nice little rowboat. Cool idea using a Playmobil boat. But 5 inches is too small for my project, a 11 feet tender would be around 13 inches in 1/10.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2012, 08:50 AM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
United States, NY, Westchester
Joined Jul 2011
1,808 Posts
You have the right idea Chris, make it whatever you like for your use. There is no standard one for these boats.
Here are some examples of what I was talking about. Notice in the first photo the one alongside the red boat. No real shape plywood with a big notch in the transom to skull it. The other on the mooring is a plain old rowboat.
The second photo is of lobstermens dinghies at the dock. Notice just one oar in the orange one. In bigger coves some may have an outboard motor to get out to the mooring.

Bill
sound sailor is online now Find More Posts by sound sailor
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:13 AM
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
Joined Apr 2011
153 Posts
Thanks Bill. Nice photos. I understand what you mean. I think I'll design and build one with an outboard. Not sure if I'll do lapstrake planking like I did on my dinghy. It's a lot of work.

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:47 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
For one or two persons, an 8' dinghy would be all you need, and it could be hauled aboard and stowed if you wanted.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:19 AM
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
Joined Apr 2011
153 Posts
Hmm - no, I think that wouldn't look good. I'll pull it. My dinghy is 14 inches long, I'll build one about 12 or 13 inches. I drew some lines allready, but I haven't got a scanner. I'll asked a friend, if he'll scan my drawings for me and I'll show the lines in a few days.

Chris
RCG Plus Member