WyDiablo is offline Find More Posts by WyDiablo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:14 AM
Linux Compatible
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Dec 2007
418 Posts
2 second google search.

How to balance a brushless motor (1 min 10 sec)
machina is offline Find More Posts by machina
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:15 AM
Linux Compatible
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Dec 2007
418 Posts
Also:
Balance an outrunner (brushless motor) (0 min 27 sec)

balancing motor rotor and open your ears... (2 min 30 sec)
machina is offline Find More Posts by machina
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:16 AM
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Jun 2010
483 Posts
I tried the laser option, but I found balancing by hand was much easier, faster, and actually more effective. Just idle the motors up 1 at a time, and aim for smoothness around your throttle hover area. I use little dabs of hot glue, for weight.
mamba max1 is offline Find More Posts by mamba max1
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:40 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
I've been doing that too with good success. Just disconnect all but one motor, throttle up with the prop on, vibrations? Put a piece of tape on one side of the prop. More vibrations? Move the piece to the other side. Better? Move it around on that side until you get a smoothly running motor from 0 to 100% throttle. The tape has not fallen off any of the larger props I have, but it can fly off some of the small ones which sit on high kv motors. Use stronger tape on those or something that sticks better.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:57 AM
Ape-pilot Extraordinaire
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Jun 2011
1,508 Posts
I've always thought that balancing motors is for crazies and obsessive compulsives.

TS00 is offline Find More Posts by TS00
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:12 AM
Arkansas
Joined Jul 2008
181 Posts
Thanks wiseduck I was trying to balance mine with all 6 motors running and no props. So I was doing it all wrong I see. I was also thinking that if I spooled up with just one motor the power would be too much and I would end up damaging my motor. So disconnect all but one motor and connect the prop to that motor and then do the laser test correct? The laser balancing would be all i could do right now. I don't have anything for the other types of balancing. I did notice that my props were not all the same wieght. They ranged from 12.5 g to 13.1 g and I have fixed that part of the problem.

Thanks
WyDiablo
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:44 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
That's up to you. Break props often and you just want to put them on without having to worry too much about balance? Balance the motors. Or if like me, you fly with one set and only a motor failure can break them (I'm confident I won't break any props in a crash that was my fault), balance the setup dynamically, i.e. prop on motor, throttle up, balance it.

I don't think you need a laser. Also, I've never had issues with going full throttle without props on. But I wouldn't recommend it, the centrifugal force can send some of the magnets flying apparently. So just hook up one motor at a time.

As for how to feel the vibrations, I just hold the arm, throttle up and feel the vibrations. It's easy to feel when you're moving in the right direction. On some of my motors on the Y6 I can go from 0 to 100% and I can't feel ANYTHING in the arm, on other motors there are still some vibrations there even after balancing, but that's acceptable to me.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:35 AM
Arkansas
Joined Jul 2008
181 Posts
Thanks wiseduck I will try that tonight. I"m use to collective pitch heli's but not multirotors so this is a new ball game to me lolol. The laser trick to me sound neat and I did try that last nite on one arm at a time, but all motors were running. So I don't think that helped to track down single arm vibs.

Thanks
WyDiablo
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:37 PM
Tri-City Airport Municipal, Tennesse, United States
Joined Oct 2003
425 Posts
My Quad is all built but I want to balance the motors. The ESC's are soldered to the distribution board. Would it be OK to just unhook the bullet connectors of three motors and run up one motor at a time? the ESC's without the motors attached would still power up due to the distribution board. I didn't know if powering up an esc without motors was harmful.

Thanks
Jake.
bigjake is offline Find More Posts by bigjake
Old Jul 26, 2012, 01:28 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,408 Posts
@Bigjake...just disconnect the escs at the FC...no need to unhook the bullets unless you really want to ...
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE