HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:17 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
Question
Noob airfoil question

Is there some sort of list that might explain the different airfoils (i.e. AG, Zone3..etc.) to name a few, and what each was designed to achieve?

Thanks, Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:57 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,733 Posts
AG series - great all around airfoil series, the benchmark by which all newcomers are measured.

HM-51 - carries weight better than the AG and has similar characteristics in the air. Very "roomy" for older servos.

Edge - Slightly peakier performance than the AG or HM with better launch and float performance

Zone V1 - No holds barred high performance airfoil. Needs to be built and flown accurately to extract the performance.

Zone V2 - Very high performance airfoil good at launch and run with little penalty in turbulence. Less ballast required than others.

There are alot of variables, but this is how I'd quickly break down the more common 'foils. Beware of the word "modified" which means it's not the original and won't behave like the original. Alot of builders use this so that people can't check the accuracy of their builds.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:50 PM
UK, Isle of Anglesey, Holyhead
Joined Jun 2010
168 Posts
I am interested in this subject, are these aerofoil shapes subject to copyright?
Marty B is offline Find More Posts by Marty B
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:17 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,334 Posts
Don't know about the HM series, but the others are. G_T has design threads for the Edge & Zone series here on rcg. Mark Drela has the AG series are on the

http://charlesriverrc.org/articles.htm

website for all to use.
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:38 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,224 Posts
http://www.momentum-mt.se/StaticContent.aspx?pageid=763

^^^^Here's info on the HM51 including coordinates and polars. As far as I know all these airfoils have been published with the intent that others may use them. One series that hasn't been mentioned is Gerald's newest series - the one he has only called the "forgiving" series. Not much info or feedback have been given yet, but there is some on its thread. Again, he has published the foils for all to use. What a great guy. I don't think there is any way we can repay him for the amount of time he has donated to improving the information available to the average Joe like myself.

Brandon
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined Jun 2006
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
AG series - great all around airfoil series, the benchmark by which all newcomers are measured.

HM-51 - carries weight better than the AG and has similar characteristics in the air. Very "roomy" for older servos.

Edge - Slightly peakier performance than the AG or HM with better launch and float performance

Zone V1 - No holds barred high performance airfoil. Needs to be built and flown accurately to extract the performance.

Zone V2 - Very high performance airfoil good at launch and run with little penalty in turbulence. Less ballast required than others.

There are alot of variables, but this is how I'd quickly break down the more common 'foils. Beware of the word "modified" which means it's not the original and won't behave like the original. Alot of builders use this so that people can't check the accuracy of their builds.
Keep in mind too, these are all designed as a series of foils, not as a single airfoil. There's some _amazingly_ sophisticated research happening with computer modeling and performance prediction of entire wings rather then just 2d airfoils. If you've got a weekend to spend reading and learning, here's some of the threads I've got bookmarked here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1321967
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1378637
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1348570
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1577149

I'm sure G_T isn't the only person working on DLG airfoils, but he's certainly the person who's sharing most about the process.

big
bigiain is offline Find More Posts by bigiain
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:10 AM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post

This is basicly what I was looking for. I know this subject can get very technical, and way over my head. I suppose knowing which airfoils are more "noob friendly", and which require alot of finesse to achieve maximun performance is the basics of what I wanted to know.

This is a very good start.
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Jun 23, 2012, 06:28 AM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,733 Posts
The AG is the gold standard for noob friendly and has won world championships. You can't go wrong there. You can fly it "wrong" and do quite well.

If you're an aggressive pilot who likes more speed, has an idea what to do with the camber, and wants more performance, try the Zone V2. Gerald did a fantastic job on this series and it's an unbelievable performer.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 06:36 AM
Joined Jun 2010
168 Posts
Tom, is the V2 very camber senstive?
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:06 AM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,733 Posts
Not sensitive, but definitely not a "set it and forget it" type of airfoil. Some days I use very large amounts of camber, and when it's turbulent I use a little less. My camber is on a switch so I usually make adjustments the first flight or two of the day and then don't typically touch it unless conditions change significantly.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:40 AM
Joined Jun 2010
168 Posts
mmmmm don't think my DX7 would be able t do that. I have the "Flaps" / camber on the throttle stick but its too easy to nudge
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:18 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty B View Post
mmmmm don't think my DX7 would be able t do that. I have the "Flaps" / camber on the throttle stick but its too easy to nudge
FWIW DX7 can have three flight modes (camber + elevator settings) on the three position switch, plus flaps on the throttle stick.
You do have to make all flap and elevator adjustments in the programming menus.

Only thing I could not get was launch preset on the toggle, but with a hardware change (swap the wires between the gear and the trainer switch) you could likely get it to work.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jun 23, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Jun 2010
168 Posts
Hi Pat, yeah I have the basic settings on the "3 position flap switch" Launch, Cruise and in the third position I have it mixed to the throttle stick. With the throttle open (away) I have it set at about 5mm down and the flaps / brakes go down with throttle movement. I also have mounted a moment switch to override the flaps and give me Pos 1 (Launch). The previous post I made was to say that I can adjust the flaps but it's too easy the knock or move the Throttle stick (I'm Mode1).
Back to the thread - Are we saying that the AG shape is a "set and forget" ?