HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1 View Post
How long is a piece of string? When will stupid questions stop?
What?? There are no stupid questions. Why are you taking issue with this question anyway? Who asked you?

And the reason I am interested is because I love their product and want to use it on my expensive models but hesitate due to that very statement on their web site. However, I have it installed on a few jets and its doing very nicely so I was curious why after all this testing its not being released. I think its a fair question. On one hand its doing great but on the other there a disclaimer.... Also, its better for their business to release it and compete with other stabilizers officially that have similar offerings.
captain MoMo is offline Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by captain MoMo; Yesterday at 01:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,320 Posts
Yeah, what's the issue Woodstock 1? That a legitimate question as this version has been in beta for a very very long time. It makes you wonder why they haven't changed it from beta yet. It has been used/tested by many on this thread and many many others with no issues for quite some time. Has there been reported issues that we aren't aware of that keep it in beta? If so, why haven't those issues been aired so we are all aware of them?
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
The latest edition of the Guardian New User's Guide is now posted on my blog page. The primary focus of the new version is to include the features added in the 10.6x software and 1.24 firmware which is currently available on the Eagle Tree download page as the V10.65 beta version: http://www.eagletreesystems.com/inde...ormation_id=12

A few items have also been added that have surfaced in the forum over the past year.

I've been very pleased over the past year at how many people have downloaded the original New User's Guide and I hope people will take advantage of this new document as well.

Rick
Rick,

Thank you very much for all that you have done and continue to do for this thread and the Guradian. Its guys like you who make a difference in this hobby and I am sure everyone on this forum appreciates your hard work. You have certainly help me a great deal. Cheers!

CMM
captain MoMo is offline Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farrari View Post
Choochoo 22 , a link please to your page.
and
Would you confirm that the non beta latest version is still V10.52 with 1.19 firmware
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo View Post
You didn't understand my question. Yes, I know its beta and supposedly unstable. But how long does something stay in Beta mode and what is the plan for release?? I have asked this question before and never heard a reasonable response.
Yes, the current release version is 10.52 with firmware 1.19 as of having checked a few minutes ago. The original version of the New User's Guide is still posted and covers the 10.52 "release version" software.

I'm not speaking for ET on this, but just my observation of how they have handled versions for the last 2+ years that I have been following this.

There are always two versions posted on their web site. The most recent is always listed as a "beta". It will remain a beta until it is replaced by a newer beta, at which time the current beta will become the "release version". In other words, 10.65 will be listed as a beta until it is replaced by something newer. It has nothing to do with how stable it is or whether they think it might still have bugs. That change could occur today, or next year, or maybe never.

The current beta was a significant change, adding several features. When they felt it was ready for wider testing, they made it available on the thread below for testing by experienced volunteers willing to take a bit of a risk. It was identified with this statement "Please note that this beta version has had somewhat limited testing to date, so please proceed with caution, do thorough ground checks, etc. before flying!" and it was kept separate from their main download page where less experienced users might download it by accident. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2148647

It was kept in this status for several weeks, a couple of months I think. During this time a few kinks were corrected, none of them "plane threatening". Quite a few experienced users tried it out and have been using it ever since. I don't know of anyone who has tried the new version and opted to go back to the release version, nor any reason to to so. At this point I consider 10.65 to be "the" software. It has several useful new features, has been widely used by many people for several months, and I don't see any reason not to use it.

Another complicating factor BTW, is that the PC app covers some other devices besides the Guardian. Occasionally the version number bumps with no changes being made to anything Guardian related. To the best of my knowledge, nothing changed relating to the Guardian for 10.64 or 10.65 and if you are using 10.63 you really have the current Guardian software. They all contain 1.24 firmware.
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3,320 Posts
If that's the case choochoo22, I have to say that's the strangest way I've ever seen a "beta" version handled... Normally the "beta" is removed after extensive testing so possible users know it is "safe"...
Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
If that's the case choochoo22, I have to say that's the strangest way I've ever seen a "beta" version handled... Normally the "beta" is removed after extensive testing so possible users know it is "safe"...
I'm not cheering it, criticizing it, or defending it. I'm just trying to answer the question by describing how it is. Or at least, how it's been. They could choose to change this pattern any time, perhaps even motivated by this discussion.
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
Old Today, 03:56 AM
Australia, NSW, Balgowlah Heights
Joined May 2013
418 Posts
Thank C22 for the answer.
If I replace my current version 1.19 with the beta 1.24 , does it mess up my current settings. I suppose your new manual explains this. ?
farrari is offline Find More Posts by farrari
Old Today, 05:14 AM
United States, NC, Rutherfordton
Joined Oct 2005
6 Posts
Great job on new user guide ChooChoo22. Many thanks.
ken sawyer is offline Find More Posts by ken sawyer
Old Today, 06:43 AM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
585 Posts
No, changing from 1.19 to 1.24 will not mess up your current settings. If you don't wish to make use of any of the new features right away, just update the firmware and fly. The only thing you might notice is a smaller center dead band in 3DHH, which makes transitions in and out of heading hold smoother. This necessarily reduces heading hold's ability to lock if you make transmitter trim changes, but you probably already know that you shouldn't be making transmitter trim changes without letting Guardian know about them with a reset trims gesture (2 toggles within first 15 seconds after connecting battery).

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrari View Post
Thank C22 for the answer.
If I replace my current version 1.19 with the beta 1.24 , does it mess up my current settings. I suppose your new manual explains this. ?
JayY is online now Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 06:56 AM
Joined Oct 2011
3,320 Posts
Can you trim in 3d and then just do a reset trim gesture or does g need to be off to trim and then to the gesture? Thanks.
Old Today, 07:11 AM
Foam Temple Pilot
Joined Sep 2012
585 Posts
From 10.63 to 10.65 there were updates to the PC program only to address labeling issues for a few users and to fix the Level Roll Trim on the General Tab in the case of inverted installation, the firmware itself was not changed. Note that there was never any problem with inverted installations for version 1.24 firmware, it's just that you couldn't use the PC program to adjust the level roll setting. These problems were quickly addressed by Eagle Tree, none were a threat to our models.

I just ordered and received a new Guardian. The printed manual that came with it was for firmware version 1.24, but the unit itself was loaded with firmware version 1.19. Not a problem for me because I'm very familiar with both versions of firmware, but a newcomer could get very confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
Yes, the current release version is 10.52 with firmware 1.19 as of having checked a few minutes ago. The original version of the New User's Guide is still posted and covers the 10.52 "release version" software.

I'm not speaking for ET on this, but just my observation of how they have handled versions for the last 2+ years that I have been following this.

There are always two versions posted on their web site. The most recent is always listed as a "beta". It will remain a beta until it is replaced by a newer beta, at which time the current beta will become the "release version". In other words, 10.65 will be listed as a beta until it is replaced by something newer. It has nothing to do with how stable it is or whether they think it might still have bugs. That change could occur today, or next year, or maybe never.

The current beta was a significant change, adding several features. When they felt it was ready for wider testing, they made it available on the thread below for testing by experienced volunteers willing to take a bit of a risk. It was identified with this statement "Please note that this beta version has had somewhat limited testing to date, so please proceed with caution, do thorough ground checks, etc. before flying!" and it was kept separate from their main download page where less experienced users might download it by accident. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2148647

It was kept in this status for several weeks, a couple of months I think. During this time a few kinks were corrected, none of them "plane threatening". Quite a few experienced users tried it out and have been using it ever since. I don't know of anyone who has tried the new version and opted to go back to the release version, nor any reason to to so. At this point I consider 10.65 to be "the" software. It has several useful new features, has been widely used by many people for several months, and I don't see any reason not to use it.

Another complicating factor BTW, is that the PC app covers some other devices besides the Guardian. Occasionally the version number bumps with no changes being made to anything Guardian related. To the best of my knowledge, nothing changed relating to the Guardian for 10.64 or 10.65 and if you are using 10.63 you really have the current Guardian software. They all contain 1.24 firmware.
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 07:39 AM
Foam Temple Pilot
Joined Sep 2012
585 Posts
Trimming from transmitter with Guardian off makes the most sense to me. There is one case where it makes sense to apply transmitter trim with Guardian on and that is to get the 2D mode to help you, rather than fight you, when preparing to perform an in flight reset level. Even then, that transmitter trim is very temporary, as soon as the in flight level is set, the trim used to prepare for it should all be backed out.

To address a common misunderstanding, it doesn't matter whether Guardian is on (2D or 3D) or off when transmitter trim is applied, as soon as the Guardian is switched on (2D or 3D) that unaccounted for trim will affect the Guardian, it cannot know the difference between unaccounted for trim and small stick deflections. In 2D mode, pitch and roll trim will change the model's attitude when the sticks are centered and may prevent azimuth locking if heading hold is enabled. In 3D mode, trim may prevent heading hold from locking and may also cause slow rotations around the trimmed axis.

Quote:
Can you trim in 3d and then just do a reset trim gesture or does g need to be off to trim and then to the gesture? Thanks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 09:09 AM
Joined Oct 2011
3,320 Posts
My situation was that I was doing a maiden on a plane and took off in 3d mode which is normal for me to do. I usually turn off the g after takeoff and then trim. In this instance though I forgot to turn the g off and trimmed while it was in 3d mode. Can I just do a reset trim gesture and everything will be fine or do I need to fly again and trim with 3d off and then do the reset trim?
Old Today, 09:33 AM
Foam Temple Pilot
Joined Sep 2012
585 Posts
I think you can just do the reset trim gesture and everything will be fine, but verify this next time you fly by turning off Guardian in the air and seeing what happens.

Quote:
My situation was that I was doing a maiden on a plane and took off in 3d mode which is normal for me to do. I usually turn off the g after takeoff and then trim. In this instance though I forgot to turn the g off and trimmed while it was in 3d mode. Can I just do a reset trim gesture and everything will be fine or do I need to fly again and trim with 3d off and then do the reset trim?
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 09:58 AM
Joined Oct 2011
3,320 Posts
Thanks Jay! I will try it out...