Not Funny......
United States, CO, Redstone
Joined Dec 2010
912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwind3Zero View Post
Do you know what the holdup is Mike?
Chris
Parts suppliers? Rainer can't build fans if the supply chain breaks down....
Mike Warren is offline Find More Posts by Mike Warren
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:26 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,284 Posts
So is the tamjet shroud and tailcone worth the expense? I know cooler running temps are better all together, and it makes a nice little pod to hold the esc (if a 120hv ice2 fits), but other than that, whats the benefit of it (other than draining my wallet another $150 for two)?
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:25 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,635 Posts
You are better off with the ESC heatsink in the inlet duct in front of the fan, it stays cooler and the wire lengths balance out much better, sticking it behind a hot motor with very short leads forces you to extend batt leads more than is necessary.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:47 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,284 Posts
There is no inlet duct infront of the fan... And the batteries are literally located RIGHT beside the fans
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:21 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
So is the tamjet shroud and tailcone worth the expense? I know cooler running temps are better all together, and it makes a nice little pod to hold the esc (if a 120hv ice2 fits), but other than that, whats the benefit of it (other than draining my wallet another $150 for two)?
I always talk to my models, they tell me where the components need to go to achieve cg without adding weight. that said I prefer esc in the tailcone for superior cooling, tams upgrade also adds a heatsink to the motor which improves motor cooling also, airflow/airspeed is greater behind the fan so better cooling is realized. esc's can fail and do fail, containing it in a carbon fiber tube with 200mph airflow around it can contain an esc fire and most of the time save the model from catching fire.

Quote:
There is no inlet duct infront of the fan... And the batteries are literally located RIGHT beside the fans
so open ducting? that would pretty much settle it for me they would be in the tailcone and would move the batts foward a little bit if needed away from the fans
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:05 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
I always talk to my models, they tell me where the components need to go to achieve cg without adding weight. that said I prefer esc in the tailcone for superior cooling, tams upgrade also adds a heatsink to the motor which improves motor cooling also, airflow/airspeed is greater behind the fan so better cooling is realized. esc's can fail and do fail, containing it in a carbon fiber tube with 200mph airflow around it can contain an esc fire and most of the time save the model from catching fire.

so open ducting? that would pretty much settle it for me they would be in the tailcone and would move the batts foward a little bit if needed away from the fans
I guess you could consider it opening ducting... The inlet ring is modified and then epoxied to the inlet:

Battery placement: the fans are only about 3 to 4" on either side of the edges of the batteries, and by the time you do a series harness, there is excess wire to work with.

Already had one esc fire in this model on a 6s setup, not really wanting to repeat that:
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:22 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
lol!!! thats about as open as it gets........dude that airframe is yelling at me "PUT THE ESC"S IN THE TAILCONE" hahaha thats what I would do for sure
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:56 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,284 Posts
Alrighty... 100% fsa is no problem on this model
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:01 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,230 Posts
I have heard from many not to put the ESC in the tail cone because of the hot motor....
When I read my temps the ESC stays much cooler in the tail cone. I've done it both ways and have success with each, but I like the tail cone better, never thought of the fire issue that another plus in my book.

Look to BVM and Tam Jets and see where the ESC is.... tailcone
these guys lay down flight after flight so not sure how that could be a bad place

I'll have super long leads in my F-18 but feel the benefits out weigh the long leads.. I will have a bank of caps for each fan and will check my ripple
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:02 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,254 Posts
+1 Tailcone!
Jetnfast is online now Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:12 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,284 Posts
OH man ron.. now you opened another can of worms... Caps... wonder if they are really necessary on 12" of battery leads total...at most..
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:42 AM
TeamSiam
Graz
Joined May 2007
324 Posts
Inlet rings and stuff

Hi caps,

Mike already posted it. I run out of carbon tubes for the shroud, but they are already here in Graz at FEDEX.
So i will get them today. Then the production can start again.
Inlet rings. Yes, the are made specailly for the JF-90 and JF-90V2 (same shroud)
So i*ll send a bunch of them to Mike today. Rest of the fans will follow next week, have to canfugurate them.

Sorry for the wait, but if the suppliers are lazy, i'm in the same troubles as all other little companys like HK

Best greez from Austria,
Rainer
EJETS-II is online now Find More Posts by EJETS-II
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:58 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,577 Posts
Funny!
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:07 AM
Just having fun before I die!
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
935 Posts
This is happening world wide all suppliers and manufacturers are running lean inventory and most build on demand after the order is placed.
BadLemon is offline Find More Posts by BadLemon
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:05 AM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
Quote:
OH man ron.. now you opened another can of worms... Caps... wonder if they are really necessary on 12" of battery leads total...at most..
the caps on the esc are designed to handle 12in of wire between batt and esc, 6in on the batt and 6in esc leads. you will be fine, no caps needed for your install