SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:37 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
I recently screwed up my elevator installation on my 57" Extra. I put in my control horn first to avoid doing exactly what Grovey just explained but I got impatient and used some kicker to speed up the curing process (for the bit of CA coming out of the slot). Well, when I went to install my elevator I got the one half in there with the hinges inserted (but not glued) and then put some medium CA in the joiner slot and on the joiner itself and the dang stuff cured before I could get that halve fully situated!! I guess some of the kicker was still floating around.

So I promptly snapped the elevator in half out of frustration and ripped it out of there and proceeded to order a replacement. I posted in the 57" Thread about what happened and Joe Smith said that he does the following:

Get both havings in there with gluing the joiner. Gets the hinges set how he wants them and then glues the hinges. THEN he wicks some thin CA into the joiner. He said it works great and he's never had one come apart. If it works for him I figured I'd try it. And sure enough... so far so good and MUCH easier/safer to do it this way.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:40 AM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
I will definitely be putting some thin CA onto the joiner after I use some debonder to get the servo horn installed.

From now on I will install the elevator servo horns first, then the joiner.
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:00 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,060 Posts
Using even 5 min epoxy on that joiner is a good idea though. It gives you time to work and get it perfect where even without kicker sometimes a bit of CA can set before you get a chance to get the pieces situated. I have noticed that on balsa especially it likes to set up really quick. Often within seconds of applying it. Thin CA after the joiners are put together makes sense though.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:17 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Using even 5 min epoxy on that joiner is a good idea though. It gives you time to work and get it perfect where even without kicker sometimes a bit of CA can set before you get a chance to get the pieces situated. I have noticed that on balsa especially it likes to set up really quick. Often within seconds of applying it. Thin CA after the joiners are put together makes sense though.
I was shocked at how quickly it set. I had the second half at about a 20 degree angle and it had already cured.

I'm not sure if heat or moving air affects it but I was working in my garage with a large fan blowing on me so maybe the air from the fan really made it set quickly?
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:43 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,060 Posts
No, it's just that certain materials bond quicker than others. For instance I tried to use CA on the threads of an easy connector at the field one day and didn't have any kicker. I waited for a half hour and it still wasn't set. On virgin balsa you will get a bond in seconds. I don't think the air flow or temp have anywhere near the impact on curing time as the material you are bonding.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:33 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,060 Posts
Good News! I just snuck out for a quick 4 min flight on the edge and it still flies pretty darn nice. I even did a low KE pass . uh oh... here comes the rain... wish I had time for the other 4 packs I have sitting here but I cant wait out this little shower right now
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:45 PM
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined May 2010
769 Posts
3dhs 55" edge 540 Reaper 60 Mint condition

I have a 3dhs 55" edge 540 in Mint condition for sale (Colorado)

The airplane is in PNP configuration, just add your RX and fly.

Reaper 60 motor with Reaper ESC
Castle BEC
HS-255MG Metal gera servos all around

Taking reasonable offers, send PM.

Here is a link with photos of the airplane:

http://www.liddlenetworks.com/galler...e-540-for-Sale

Local sale only - unless you have a box I can ship the airplane to you in.
3D*Flyer is offline Find More Posts by 3D*Flyer
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:10 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,060 Posts
I ended up with two more flights on the edge for a total of 3 today
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:13 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
2,007 Posts
DOH!
Ron
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Last edited by rdcskkrose; Jul 16, 2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:30 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Well after sweating bullets, I got it, I freed the glue from the servo horn mount.

How long do I need to wait after using debonder before I can glue again?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:42 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,060 Posts
grovey I'm glad you got it out. The debonder evaporates pretty fast... I'd say wait at least 4 or 5 hours. Just to be safe you might want to wait over night.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:46 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
grovey I'm glad you got it out. The debonder evaporates pretty fast... I'd say wait at least 4 or 5 hours. Just to be safe you might want to wait over night.
Arg ok cool, I really wanted to work on it today

So frustrated I did that and am sick of staring at an unbuilt plane.
Last edited by grovey; Jul 16, 2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:48 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
Happy the re-maiden went well, that gives me reason to hope my second Edge will fly again. My Team Hard decals should be here any time now for Edge #3. I got 5 flights in this morning before it got too blessed hot out there. Motor repair from the other day seems to be holding up well. I was a little worried that it wouldn't. Made some of my best landings yet today. Getting comfortable doing a parachute down to about 5 feet then a harrier landing.

Still toying with the idea of a float plane Edge. Will probably order the GWS floats next week and test them out in my trusty old PZ Extra first.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:02 PM
Serial Lurker
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2007
167 Posts
After months of shoehorning my edge into my old car, it has a new set of wheels to get around in.

There's plenty of room for friends as well.

Olie is offline Find More Posts by Olie
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:06 PM
gms
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Joined May 2007
36 Posts
Wire Gear continues to require bending back even after fairly soft landings.....notice that they "spread out" just from the weight of a battery when taxing

Has anyone installed an alternative solution such as carbon fibre on their 48 3DHS Edge or have a better solution.

Debating whether or not to get on the ADC backorder list or find another alternative....season is short up here in Canada and want to get "rolling" again.

The carbon fibre on my 47" SHP have been without issues and have survived many less than perfect landings.
gms is offline Find More Posts by gms