HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:46 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword View Post
If you want something similar to the 120SR, look at the Nine Eagles 328A. It's a clone of the 120SR as far as I can tell. Following SaxGuy's lead I've replaced broken parts on my 120 with the 328A's parts. So far I'm using the canopy, main blades and mainframe. The holes for the landing skids need a little boring out to fit 120SR stock gear and the tabs under the 5-in-1 board have to be clipped off for it to fit the 120's board. Also the upper canopy mounts don't stick out as far as the stock 120's mainframe. The 328s are built-in plastic, not removable CF rods. The price is right if you can put together an order from Miracle-Mart to make up for the shipping cost.
Don
I'm not sure the 328A would be what SR120fan is looking for. It does fly just like a 120--although better, IMHO. It still wouldn't be a good indoor heli, though, and it's drawback is that you have a lot more to keep in maintenance compared to like the mSR. It is more stable and it does fly better all around, and my combo of the Bell/Hiller swash and the DSM2 main board is the best of all FPs.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:54 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
I think me means a ultra micro size heli that's similar to his 120sr. (i.e. mSR etc.)
Yeah I think i am confusing people with all my issues lol. Yes I am looking for a micro that handles similar to the 120SR and thought I had it sussed with the mSR before realising that it is now discontinued.

I have toyed with the idea of the mSRX but I think I would rather go the other route as it looks like a budgie on meth, and get a good fun co axial like the mCX2: As no one seems to have a bad word to say about it. It's a blade so can get the BNF and no problem with spares. It might not handle like the 120SR but my problem wasn't so much the the difference in handling a co axial compared with a single rotor when I made the switch but from going from a cheap indoor micro to a relatively powerful outdoor heli that I stupidly used indoors or in my garden and had it been in the big park near my house I don't think I would have had too much of a problem getting to grips with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
Good find. Never thought you would be able to find just the servo gear for sale but as erdnuckel mentioned I need it for my 120SR. Whether they are the same size I don't know but again, I'm in the UK so shipping costs would be more then just buying a complete new servo here. I will now look for somewhere here that might sell them or even, unbelievably, get off the couch and visit a real model shop which I haven't actually been into in probably 10 years!! I live in a little town and there is only one but I'm going to start persuading the missus to go on day trips to different ones even if it means a bit of a drive. It's like being a kid all over again

What a great hobby this is and this is coming from a guy with just one heli at the moment that is currently in about 10 pieces (heli not the guy) that had probably less then 20 minutes total flight time in its life and has had already almost a full rebuild once and needs more stuff again.

Someone got my card details from a site. I think I know which one (nothing to do with RCs) and so my bank has stopped my card and I was meant to have ordered the parts for my 120SR yesterday which I stupidly didn't do as I got dragged to lunch by my wife after uni even though I was soaking wet. The things we lads do eh

So in short as i have to make a decision soon. It will probably either be a second hand mSR or the mCX2. And the fixing up of my 120SR.
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Last edited by SR120 fan; Oct 09, 2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:57 AM
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
It can cause the servo to lock up leaving you no control. It might even pull excess current if the motor is still trying to turn it when it locks up.
Oh thanks for this by the way. Definitely won't be risking it now. The other servo gear has to be here somewhere as I haven't hoovered in days lol and the heli never left the room. Ive been on my hands and knees and looked everywhere.
Last edited by SR120 fan; Oct 09, 2012 at 06:03 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
After much contemplation I am going for the mCX2 instead of the second hand mSR and already looking forward to flying it. It just seemed to make sense in the end.

Battle Dudes remote should turn up any day now I reckon and as I won't be able to play with the mCX2 till the end of the month (my birthday is halloween!) Im going to use my credit card as debit card was stopped for attempted fraud, order the SR parts for next day delivery and if I can't find the missing servo gear im going to reluctantly order two servos. can't believe I can't find the gear when Ive been able to find tiny ball ends under rugs and couches and get the 120 SR into the air hopefully by the weekend with a decent remote.

I mentioned that ive had to do a lot of soldering and some of the joints are pretty bad so I am going to prep the board tomorrow by resoldering everything that I can with more suitable wire instead of just using strips of solder in one case lol.

Thanks for everyones help. I will uodate when something productive has actually been done. if doesnt work I really am going to cry loll

By the way still after that spare SR battle dude if its still on offer
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:23 PM
Registered Abuser
Kelowna, BC Canada
Joined Nov 2010
270 Posts
Dude!!!

Go with the mSRx or a used mSR! Don't go back to coax! They're slow, unresponsive and will only make getting back on to the 120SR harder....
Chris.S. is offline Find More Posts by Chris.S.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:52 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.S. View Post
Dude!!!

Go with the mSRx or a used mSR! Don't go back to coax! They're slow, unresponsive and will only make getting back on to the 120SR harder....
I agree..you will get bored with the mcx2...it is a great coax, but the msr is very close to the 120sr.
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:41 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,841 Posts
As I said in post #15351, if you just want fun to fly around the house, the mcx2 is a lot of fun. But, I have to agree that the mSR is a much better trainer for the SR120.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:38 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,293 Posts
Anyone know what the deal is with Helifreaks.com???????

Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:16 PM
Wind you go around in circles
United States, FL, Middleburg
Joined Jan 2012
1,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
Anyone know what the deal is with Helifreaks.com???????

Hey Jake, they were down for a short time a couple days ago. I have been all over it about my 450 and the Scale site. If you had it locked into your favorites you may need to refresh the page.WS P.S. I just checked their 120sr site and it is working.
Wind Spirit is offline Find More Posts by Wind Spirit
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:01 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,293 Posts
Still no go for me...get a redirection page, but nothing happens.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:09 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,608 Posts
Jake, It's working fine for me. Flush the cache of your browser and try again.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:03 AM
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
As I said in post #15351, if you just want fun to fly around the house, the mcx2 is a lot of fun. But, I have to agree that the mSR is a much better trainer for the SR120.
I seriously respect all three of your guys opinions and have taken them into account
and if I was in the states it would be a no brainer and I would get a second hand mSR as there seems to be heaps of them in the classifieds and ebay.

In the UK it is a completely different story. There is the odd one going on ebay at the same prices as a new mSRx and even these are rare. I can't find any uk forums with any for sale in the classifieds and I don't want to go through the hassle of having a second hand one sent over from the states incase anything goes wrong in transit as it is for my birthday which is coming up soon and will be a present from my mum.

From what I have read and seen the mSRX is out of my league inside without a digi tx to tone it down and I actually think my 120SR used in a big park would be a stepping stone to using the mSRX inside lol

My big problem with the 120SR was not that it was well above my skill level but I flew it inside and in my garden with trees and I hadn't flown any heli for a few months before getting straight on that so after giving it a lot of thought and even after what you guys have said. Im still going with the mCX2. which looks a ton of fun and easy going and at some point I will probably end up getting the mSRX anyway.

I will also have the 120SR hopefully up and running in a couple of days which I won't plant straight into a wall or tree and will make a nice contrast between the two helis.

Thanks for all the advice and if it was easy to get the mSR I would have but it's not and the mSRX doesn't sound like a substitute or much fun at all for someone like me

Thanks anyways

ps

I doubt I will get bored anyway. I had a cheap four channel from china that kept me entertained for ages before it finally met its maker and t wasn't anything as cool as the mCX2. I'm easily pleased and really want something I can fly around the house without having to concentrate like an F1 driver.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:08 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post
After much contemplation I am going for the mCX2 instead of the second hand mSR and already looking forward to flying it. It just seemed to make sense in the end.

By the way still after that spare SR battle dude if its still on offer
PM Sent

I think you are going to have to consider how you want to fly your new heli before you can make a solid decision as which one to get. All the advice given here is weighted heavy towards the indivuduals preferences and flying style and flying location(inside or out).

For some people, a coax is going to be boring, for others it will be a blast. It can be alot of fun to go back to a more relaxing slower paced heli indoors. I have enough experience to fly my 120SR indoors in a small space, but I still have to be "on top of it" all the time. Exciting yes but nerve-racking at times. I am going to get an mCX2 myself, just for those times that I want to relax my brain and not really have to worry about damaging computers, furniture and such.

Fixed pitch heli's are not really intended or suitable for indoor operation, in small areas, IMHO. The most talented pilots can fly them easily indoors, but it can be a challenge for the average pilot, unless they have more room.

My advice 120SR Fan, and it is just my 2 cents, is that a coax is going to suit you better for indoor flight. I would leave the FP helis outdoors if I was you. The coax will be much easier for the "forceable missus" to learn on, I promise you.

I have seen many, many experienced pilots suggest that beginners start out with coax, and learn that first, to avoid serious dis-appointment, leading to giving up on the hobby altogether.

I wouldn't put any of your birds in the air, untill you get the HP6DSM. You are going to see how much easier they are to fly with it. It is like night and day.

Then when you upgrade to a DX6i or such, it gets even better yet, as you can change settings to make your 120 docile for indoor if you so choose, or aggressive for outdoor.

If you are going to stay in the hobby, a good programmable radio is a MUST.

Cheers Bud!
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:20 PM
Joined Sep 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
PM Sent

I think you are going to have to consider how you want to fly your new heli before you can make a solid decision as which one to get. All the advice given here is weighted heavy towards the indivuduals preferences and flying style and flying location(inside or out).

For some people, a coax is going to be boring, for others it will be a blast. It can be alot of fun to go back to a more relaxing slower paced heli indoors. I have enough experience to fly my 120SR indoors in a small space, but I still have to be "on top of it" all the time. Exciting yes but nerve-racking at times. I am going to get an mCX2 myself, just for those times that I want to relax my brain and not really have to worry about damaging computers, furniture and such.

Fixed pitch heli's are not really intended or suitable for indoor operation, in small areas, IMHO. The most talented pilots can fly them easily indoors, but it can be a challenge for the average pilot, unless they have more room.

My advice 120SR Fan, and it is just my 2 cents, is that a coax is going to suit you better for indoor flight. I would leave the FP helis outdoors if I was you. The coax will be much easier for the "forceable missus" to learn on, I promise you.

I have seen many, many experienced pilots suggest that beginners start out with coax, and learn that first, to avoid serious dis-appointment, leading to giving up on the hobby altogether.

I wouldn't put any of your birds in the air, untill you get the HP6DSM. You are going to see how much easier they are to fly with it. It is like night and day.

Then when you upgrade to a DX6i or such, it gets even better yet, as you can change settings to make your 120 docile for indoor if you so choose, or aggressive for outdoor.

If you are going to stay in the hobby, a good programmable radio is a MUST.

Cheers Bud!
Cheers mate that was some good advice and I agree with all of it. The mCX2 is now officially on order but won't be getting used until the end of the month no matter what.

Hopefully by the time I have fixed up my 120SR your HP6DSM will have made it across the pond and I won't be tempted to use the stock one, I have a feeling it will come tomorrow.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:48 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,293 Posts
I STILL can't get on Helifreak. com!!!