Old Dec 17, 2008, 02:08 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,709 Posts
New Product
GreatPlanes Yak 54 3D Indoor ARF - BUILD THREAD -

Great Planes Yak 54 3D 3mm Foam Indoor EP ARF

This is the build thread for the GreatPlanes new Yak 54 3D indoor PROformance Foam ARF

This is the electric powered, radio controlled, almost ready to fly
ElectriFly by Great Planes Yak 54 3D Indoor Airplane.
For Intermediate Modeler/Pilots.

REQUIRES: Radio: 4 channel
Servos: Three micro high torque (1-rudder, 1-elevator, 1-aileron)
Battery Charger: LiPo compatible
Motor: Rimfire Outrunner Brushless
ESC: Silver Series For Brushless Motors 8A,
Battery: Power Series 7.4V 300mAh Balanced 2S 20C LiPo Pack,
Propeller, building and field equipment

SPECS: Wingspan: 32" (820mm)
Wing Area: 270 sq in (17.4 sq dm)
Weight: 5.5 - 6.7oz (155 - 190g)
Wing Loading: 2.9 -3.5oz/sq ft (9 - 11g/sq dm)
Length: 36.5" (920mm)
Center of Gravity: 3/4" (19mm) in front of + mark on fuselage
Control Throws-
Low Rate 3D Rate
Elevator: 1-3/4" (44mm) 30 2-3/4" (70mm) 52
Rudder: 1-3/4" (44mm) 20 4" (102mm) 53
Ailerons: 2" (51mm) 27 3-1/2" (89mm) 53

First Look!
The box is very large, which told me at the shop that it is mostly put togather or cut out, much like the E-Flight foamies. The box cover is very colorfull and shows the model well.
Inside the box I found the foam layed out well and taped in tight with all cuts and hinging already finished! I was also sprized to find that the laning gear was already assembled with rubber wheels and back braces on the large wheel pants! Removing the manuel for review I myeye caught another nice site; a large full sheet of stickers!

The manuel it top notch with clear pictures for every step and clear text to answer any questions that the assembly pix do not.
Equipment required is 3 micro servos and 4ch. Rx. The power system recomended or indoor light weight setup is the Rimfire 250 sized 28-23-1750kv outrunner. For the outdoor setup is the RimFire 300 28-22-1380kv outrunner. 8A ESC, and 2cell 300mAh lipo completes the setup.

Laying out the model for inspection was uneventfull. No dent, ding, scratch, or creas was found anywhere on the model! Nice job, GP! The colors are just as advertized, bright and solid.

Starting The Build:
One welcome surprize for this kind of model were included Alignment Jigs! 6 in total mak sure that this Yak will come out strait as an arrow every time with little effort, as long as you have a flat table/work surface.

The jigs are sild onto the fuslage after it is dry assembled into the key cut slots. The jigs are glued to eachother, but not to the model. after alignment is assured the hirizontal fuse is glued to the vertical fuse. Very easy to do...

Next the 1mmCF supports are hot glued in with another set of wing jigs to insure the wing doesnt wind up looking like a potato chip

The Jigs are parcially cut free to accomidate the 45* fuselage side stiffeners, to prevent any tail twist while flying, before being removed completely.

The last step of the quick assembly is to install the push rods. The rods are already assembled from 2mm CF rods and small lengths of Z-bent wire held on lightly with a heat shrink sleave. The rods are supported by 4 small wooden supports that insure the rods will have no flex and slip, and stay strait from the servo to the profectional-looking plastic control horns.

Final Assembly:
Final assembly is mearly install the 3 servos, motor/ESC, and Rx. All hae there pre-cut slot locations which insure a clean look and easy CGing. Another neat surprize was an 'Anti-Differential' servo arm that is screwed or glued onto the servo's stock arms to make sure that the ailerons get teh same amount of travel as the other one, both up and down.

After screwing the motor on, teh only thing left to do is find the CG, which was the one annomally in the whole build. The manuel states that "A '+' mark has been included on the fuselage, at the rear of teh servo mounts, as a reference for balancing the model. THE RECOMMENDED C.G. IS LOCATED 3/4" (19mm) IN FRONT OF THIS MARK" Why not just put the mark AT the recomended CG!? It is also stated that the CG cna be moved upto 1-1/4" (32mm) for or aft of this mark. For my model, I just stuck with teh CG point being AT the '+' mark as I usually fly my foamies with a rear CG anyway for flatter spins an a more resposive and "locked-in" hover.
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Last edited by Mchone, Jake; Dec 17, 2008 at 03:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2008, 08:58 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,959 Posts
Probably doesn't have a very wide stance because it was meant to move in the air, not on the ground

The only reason you would need the gear is for a slow turn to get aligned up, and to land.

But other then that little thing, the build looks great. I am starting to consider getting one- just to see how it flies. I'll be looking forward to your flight report.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:03 AM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,709 Posts
Well, I'll give it to you right now!

My setup was from my Enticement. My Enticment came out a little warped from the box, but the shop wouldnt take it back so I just flw it, but was never satisfied with it, so I stripped it for this one.

I am using an E-Flight 250 outrunner swinging an 8x4.3SF GWS prop powered by an electrifly 12A ESC (the LHS didnt have any 8A, so I just got the 12A), and ThunderPower 2cell 430mAh lipo. A stripped Futaba 4ch Rx and 3 C60 servos with 1mm CF rods for arms. Sence all this came right rom my Enticment, my AUW should be right about 6oz RTF w/battery! The Yak is the ame span, but a couple inches longer and has a bigger fuselage, so it might be a few grams heavyer fro the extra foam, plus the wheels, but im probably going to change them to small skids, like on the Enicment with smaller wheel pants as I thik the stock ones look too big, especially sence most Yaks have no wheel pants...

Last night under the street light about 12:30am I pluged the battery in and fired it up!
The CG came out perfect, right at the '+' mark where I wanted it with teh battery just infront of the gear. I ran the motor up and it wanted to leave my hand just about half throttle, so I let it and it was off like a rocket! Plenty of power, so I KNOW it can't be more than a few grams heavyer than the 6.2oz Enticment. Just before it went out of sight I dropped the left stick and put it into a flat spin. The spin was VERY flat, wth no aileron needed and very slow, both in rotation and decent with power off! At teh botom I did a quick roll, very nice. Inverted is hands off at my CG. I rolled into a harrior roll, which was even easyer than the Enticment's harrior rolls...if thats possible! After a low KE pass (which is the best KE from a foamy w/o SFGs i've ever flown) I did a KE loop, no problem, and pulled back into the vertical for a couple waterfalls and toubles on the way back down. The waterfalls are VERY tight, as was teh wall at the bottom of the toumble! What a performer! Inverted harriors seem just as, if not more stable than RSU harriors. I switched to lo rates at this point and flew around doing slow rolls and BIG loops and fast low alpha KE passes. Very nice and smooth with the recomended low rates and 30% expo. After one more full throttle climb I slowed it for a high hover, which is nearly hands off! A KE flat spin on the way back down to a soft landing did it for me!

I give this Yak an A+ for 3D! Every manuver I know how to do the Yak 54 did it with no fuss, and did it better than any other indoor foamy i;ve had, kit, or scratch built! It performed even better than my Shockies! and at 1oz. lighter! This was EXACTLY what I was looking for when I baught my Enticment and my Yak 54 Shockie, both of which were good flyers, but this is a step way above!

Im going out for aother flight here in a few min so I'll try soe more in the day light and do a full manuver report card and get the final pix up.

This is the best money/time i've ever span on anything foam! (Yah know, besides a Slow Stick )
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:18 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,709 Posts
Some pix while I upload the video to youtube.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 01:41 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,959 Posts
You need to try a DW Foamy next. 38" Yak 54 is an awesome 3D performer, that can do just about all of the 3D maneuvers in the book.

But from your flight report, it sounds like I've chosen my next night time flyer I'll be using a similar setup as you, but with a Hacker A10-15S, GWS 8x4HD prop, Emax 10 amp ESC, 2 GWS Pico NAROs, and an older Cirrus CS101. Same battery.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 03:14 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,709 Posts
I've noticed that most are suggesting and using HD props now over SF and E props...why is that? I tried the 8x4HD but it didntfit onto the front of the E-Flight motor at all, and the 8x4.3SF prop fit perfectly, so thats what i've flown.

Got a link to DW?
Old Dec 22, 2008, 02:45 PM
Major Electron Addiction
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Aug 2006
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake
Some pix while I upload the video to youtube.
Jake, Did you get a chance to put together a video? Thanks for all your work so far. I have been flying the Enticement indoors and have ordered the Yak this morning.
rodsmith123 is offline Find More Posts by rodsmith123
Old Dec 22, 2008, 03:49 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,709 Posts
Hey, this is he only video i've got so far. Been to windy and cold to do much else

All week the winds have been over 20mph and the wind chills down to -9*F! And sence its Christmas break, noone is at the schools to let our group in to fly

Greatplanes Yak 54 living room hover (0 min 34 sec)
Old Jan 03, 2009, 09:04 PM
There is no place like Hodges!
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Cool!! Sounds like you had the exact same experience that I am having with the Enticement.

Wish I had gone with this in the first place.
edge5foamy is offline Find More Posts by edge5foamy
Old Jan 03, 2009, 09:05 PM
There is no place like Hodges!
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Any more videos?
edge5foamy is offline Find More Posts by edge5foamy
Old Jan 05, 2009, 04:59 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,709 Posts
Still no gym, and too cold out for lipos to get long enough flight time to worry about taking it outside. But ASAP..I promis
Old Jan 05, 2009, 08:28 PM
Peoria, Illinois, United States
Joined Sep 2003
430 Posts
Great Planes Yak 54

I got one and wanted to lighten it so I milled it to save a few grams.

Here are a few pictures of the progress. I saved about 15% of the original weight. Too much fun.

Jim
jfassino is offline Find More Posts by jfassino
Old Jan 05, 2009, 09:36 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,959 Posts
^Looking great. Almost like it was done by a machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake
Got a link to DW?
http://www.dwfoamies.com/
Old Jan 06, 2009, 09:07 AM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,709 Posts
Great work, Jim! And I love the way you used the foam as the spacer and guide. Looks great, keep up posted!

Thanks, Xpress... I feel kinda dumb now
Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:42 PM
BlueGrass Rules
United States, IL, Dahlgren
Joined Nov 2003
1,097 Posts
Hey Guys,
Kinda new to foamies, but would the Hitec HS-55 servos do the job on this bird? I see the manual calls for 20 oz. torque. I'm look'n for 3D action to practice for the 27% Yak I got.

Thanks, Steve...........
mando is offline Find More Posts by mando