HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2014, 01:42 PM
USA, Mt, Billings
Joined Mar 2009
328 Posts
Discussion
Sailin' newb needs a little knot help...

I'm trying to assemble my HK Monsoon. No knot guidance there (in fact the jib isn't even discussed/shown in the "instructions").

I looked at instructions for the Aquacraft Vela and they show two or three different knots in there, but when researching those exact knots online they are all described as "not for loads--will untie themselves when slack". Not sure, but the way Aquacraft MAY be getting around this (do not know if the example I was looking at were factory-tied or by the owner) it seems like the knots may be secured with a little CA soaked into the thread.

Any input? What knot(s) should I be using to secure my sails? Am I correct that I don't want this knot "biting down" on the sail corner?

Many thanks in advance!

Scott
NOISY MUSE is offline Find More Posts by NOISY MUSE
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2014, 02:04 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,039 Posts
The most common knot I use is a bowline. It forms a loop and unlike a slip type know will not crush whatever it is you are working with. I real life, bowlines are great because you can always break them after a load has been put on the line. But with the very small slippery line used on models I always CA the knot to prevent it from coming undone. That means that you will have to cut it off if you ever have to change it.

Dave
boater_dave is online now Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Oct 09, 2014, 05:58 PM
USA, Mt, Billings
Joined Mar 2009
328 Posts
The bowline is, indeed, what Aquacraft seemed to be recommending but as I found out (and you mentioned) with the line we are using it wants to work itself undone pretty much as soon as load is taken off it.

Many thanks Dave--I'll get 'er done.

Scott
NOISY MUSE is offline Find More Posts by NOISY MUSE
Old Oct 12, 2014, 07:42 AM
United States, CT, Essex
Joined Mar 2013
267 Posts
If your use of these knots is to allow you to untie them for some reason as part of the rigging or de-rigging of your boat each time you use it, then yes, finding a knot that will stay put when slack can be quite difficult. If you don't intend on taking them apart each time, the type of knot is less important because after tying, just put a very small drop of thin CA glue on it and will never come undone.

SJ
SailingJunkie is offline Find More Posts by SailingJunkie
Old Oct 13, 2014, 08:52 PM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
A video I found useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRrVyz9cVtU
NZL756 is offline Find More Posts by NZL756