HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2010
2,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by showmaster View Post
I showed off a new Eagletree guardian setup with a FunCub and my Taranis today. I have 2D/off/3D on one 3 way switch and control gain on a pot. I'm thinking of moving the gain to a slider.
What really showed off the whole setup to "the other system owners" is I was flying in 20mph winds with 38+ mph gusts ( I built and installed a solar Wx station that reports the field wind and rain conditions to the Internet every 3 min 24/7. No Internet access, magic) . At times there were 30+ mph cross wind gusts. I was the only one flying with the others huddled in the pit area predicting my doom! Not only was I able to fly a direct level line up the runway ( winds from the north today, not south), but I put my FunCub on a northern path at 80 ft high and set the Taranis tx on the ground and walked 10 ft away from it. The whole time I was getting lipo cell voltage announcements to make sure I didn't run out of battery. At one point some joined me not believing I could do this and walk away. It was then they asked me about my setup and " what tx was I using that could fly when they didn't!
I think I finally got some attention that my Taranis isn't just a toy transmitter, and they asked a lot of questions about what it can do.

They weren't ready for that presentation! I'm really good at that!

I do think I sold a few Taranis radios today being the only one flying that had full control of the plane. One guy tried and gave up
After a few passes. Triable landing btw.

Yes, any other brand system could have done this with the guardian and used telemetry for the battery confidence support but...
They admitted that those with the option couldn't afford to equip their plane with an already $50-100 receiver, with the telemetry support.
Again I simply said, it's $3 for lipo sensing if you use the $25 range Frsky receiver ( D series and divider) I was using.
So after having the runway all to myself, flying 5ea 10 min flights, many touch and goes, I went home a happy flyer. My RSSI btw today was in the 80's.
The last flight my hat flew off and blew away. I leveled the plane at 100 ft, set the airspeed set the guardian, put the tx on the ground and chased my hat. Put it on, came back and picked the Taranis up and landed dead on the center line in front of me. All the while not worried due to the guardian and lipo announcements.
Long story to say I think I impressed the non Frsky owners with my confidence in the system and telemetry, with special thanks to Eagletree for making me look good/better today! My Taranis worked perfectly!
Thanks to the FW team and Scott's videos and otxU I'm able to boast that they CAN learn to program the Taranis and think outside the hard coded box!
SM
Very good story! I have been a Futaba, Spektrum and JR radio owner for years and all my radios have been flawless and do everything they were designed to do perfectly.

I've been using my Taranis for 7 weeks now and am a total convert. It is by far my favourite radio for numerous reasons. It seems really boring flying the other radios without voice.

Can't believe it is also the least expensive.
Rob2160 is online now Find More Posts by Rob2160
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by showmaster View Post
I showed off a new Eagletree guardian setup with a FunCub and my Taranis today...
Fun story! You should make a blog post about it so you remember it. I flew in strong Santa Ana's a few years ago and had a blast! Check out my blog post "I'm officially crazy for flying today". I'm sure you can relate. But keep this in mind, I didn't have any sort of autopilot or stabilizers

What are you using to get the weather uploaded? Can you share a link to the product?
gtfreeflyer is online now Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM
United States, AK, Palmer
Joined Jul 2013
64 Posts
+1 "What are you using to get the weather uploaded? Can you share a link to the product?"
SCADAMON is online now Find More Posts by SCADAMON
Old Yesterday, 11:35 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2006
1,952 Posts
FrSky Taranis - 16 Channels, Full Telemetry, RSSI

Checkout Findu wa6mha-11 for the San Fernando valley field or k6oua-11 for the Simi Valley flyers field in Ventura county.
The stations use ham radio as the link to the internet through an IGate many miles away.
Look up ARRS.
I can give more information but this is probably not the forum.
SM
showmaster is online now Find More Posts by showmaster
Last edited by showmaster; Yesterday at 11:53 PM.
Old Today, 12:02 AM
Colorado Mountains
Joined Aug 2010
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
I don't disagree with you - and not to rain on your parade - but the developers have expressed that functional sounds in the simulator has zero priority. Perhaps if all of the things they do have in their development cue were done - or if there were more developers joining the project.
One surprise and disappointment has been that with the growing number of Taranis users there have not been any new developers come out of the wood work to help the project along. There are only three people doing all of this and it's their hobby.
That's ok with me that the developers have zero priority for this Companion function as I'd rather they be working on more import things. Besides, my work around works just fine so far
zrobbie is online now Find More Posts by zrobbie