HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined Jul 2012
29 Posts
Discussion
Sea Trial Success for Lindy PT-109

Hey Guys...after suffering the torments of the damned trying to get my 1/32 Lindy PT-109 running like a PT should...and finally throwing out the entire geared set-up it came with (made of PLASTIC for cryin' out loud) in favor of a twin-motor, direct-drive arrangement with steel couplings and counter-rotating brass tri-blade props....she finally had her sea trials at Lake Balboa this morning.

Although I'm still a green rookie at this, I know there's a difference between running well on the workbench and running well in the water! So although on the bench, she did great, I held my breath as I shoved her away from the lake shore and opened her throttle a nudge.

At very slow speed, she was surprisingly responsive to the helm...and as I gradually eased her throttle forward, she began to plane beautifully...in fact, TOO beautifully...a full 50% of her hull raised clear of the water and would you believe a friggin' ROOSTERTAIL?!?!?!

I swear....a Lindy PT kit model throwin' a ROOSTERTAIL! That was the LAST thing I had been expecting to see.

After re-positioning the battery further forward, that problem was solved. She sets in the water with the surface EXACTLY at the waterline, and at speed, a good third of her hull planes between 20 and 30 degrees, depending on how gentle I am with the throttle. But she still tosses a bit of roostertail...which I like....and I'm thinking it must be the Dumas props.

Yeah...I know....REAL PT's never kicked up roostertails....and you know what...I don't care. I like it, so it's staying.

Here's the cool part...literally.....after her longest run, the motors were warm, but not hot. The battery was warm, but not hot. The ESC was very warm, but not so much that it couldn't be touched. Not even close to that. The wires were actually cool to the touch, not even warm.

It may be because I modified the boat's three air ducts and the engine room access hatch, to make them functional ram-air cooling systems when the boat is underway. I'm sure the increased airflow below deck is at least helping keep things under control temperature-wise.

So....after lots of debate on the set-up itself and the components I had chosen to try (as the admittedly ignorant and inexperienced newbie I am)....thought you guys would like to know PT-109 sailed through her sea trials with flying colors.

Not a single problem with the set up, with the temperatures or with any water getting in the boat. Stayed dry as a bone below deck.

And....successfully sank three ducks, one pelican and two coots!
SeaJay is offline Find More Posts by SeaJay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:45 PM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,101 Posts
Congrats on a sussesful set up. If you don't know how to cook a coot, you put it in an oven with a brick, when the brick is tender you throw out the coot and eat the brick. Oh yeah, where's the pictures???
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:17 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,345 Posts
What Charlie said.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:19 AM
Joined Jul 2012
29 Posts
Took me a while to reply to Charlie....had to stop laughing first! He's right, of course. Bricks ARE better than coots, even barbequed.

About the photos....I'm not co-ordinated enough to shoot a pic at the same time I'm drivin' the boat, and during yesterday's sea trials, there weren't any other folks around....but today should be different. Lots of fellow boaters out on Sundays, so I'm hoping to get some pix today.

GOT to get one of the friggin' roostertail, so folks will BELIEVE it. I'm still not sure I believe it...and I SAW IT.

Soon as I do, I'll upload 'em for sure...along with shots of the set-up and deck detailing.

Thanks again for the chuckle, fellas!
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:28 AM
United States, OH, Richfield
Joined Aug 2007
1,224 Posts
We'll settle for a drawing or two.
pops52 is offline Find More Posts by pops52
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:05 PM
Central Alabama RCShips, Sails
United States, AL, Odenville
Joined Feb 2006
544 Posts
Like they said above, congraduations !! Nothing like seeing your first boat preforming like you wanted. The 109 was my first boat as well. Have fun......
WingRider05 is offline Find More Posts by WingRider05
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:52 PM
Joined Jul 2012
29 Posts
Hi again, guys....as hoped, there were plenty of boaters at the lake today, so I got some photos for ya. Unfortunately, I used one of those El Cheapo disposable things, so the quality isn't all it could be.

I did the best I could to enlarge the ones of PT-109 underway...enough to show her bow planing about 30 degrees at speed with a roostertail in the wake...but those toss-away cameras don't exactly "stop-motion" worth a rusty spit.

Might've been a bit too close trying to snap the interior setup too...a bit out of focus, but clear enough to see what the hell I did. Same with the shots of the deck detail. I customized a lot of it...so don't ask why that crap wasn't in YOUR Lindy kit.
Last edited by SeaJay; Jul 23, 2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:57 PM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops52 View Post
we'll settle for a drawing or two.
ok........................
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:08 AM
United States, OH, Richfield
Joined Aug 2007
1,224 Posts
MMMmmmmWWWaaaa!!!

Great looking PT boat SeaJay! She is a real beauty on and off the water.
pops52 is offline Find More Posts by pops52
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:50 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,214 Posts
Very nice looking PT.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:58 PM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,408 Posts
SeaJay,

Congrats . Would that be Lake Balboa CA?

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined Jul 2012
29 Posts
Hey Mark....thanks. Yeah, Lake Balboa in the Valley. Sundays out there are cool, quite a few boaters show up. It's closer than Hansen's Dam, although the water's a bit nastier.