SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 08, 2010, 08:11 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyas View Post
I hear its advisable to paint the plane with a clearcoat, or something that will harden the outer shell of the "foam" plane.
Not really necessary. Any hard knock will still ding the foam, but lightweight spackle patches it up like new. Save the expense and weight, and just go fly it!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2010, 10:52 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime_8 View Post
4 SNice : my AUW 13.2oz for mine ( had to get scale while in town today )
in just glider mode. ( still have to make RX lighter by drilling out it's case .
and that is a 4x N cell nicad radio pack .
and 3 HS-55

SNice what did you paint your ones with ?
My wife used neon pink water base acrylic hobby paint , 2 coats dabbing on made a solid color , but not very glossy .
I need to find a clear-coat / sealant . LOL , non fome eating , ie no acetone or any solvent eding in "one" .

my wifes chuck only 2nd coat of paint
Nice paint job! I think I use the same stuff -- It's acrylic craft paint - nice and cheap, tons of colors, and easy to mix for custom colors. I get it in little bottles from walmart. It will rub off over time, so I usually cover the leading edges and bottom of the fuse with clear packing tape. Let me know if you come acress a safe sealant!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Jun 09, 2010, 07:24 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
WBPU , my be a choice . but i do use same paint a SNice , ranging for 99c - 3$ a tube , is easy . I do like the idea of a finish coat as i did sand the entire body of both gliders ( hers and mine) I found it seems to take paint a tad better if it has been sanded . not much thogh as that craft paint is good at covering .

where min is <14oz i wonder what motor woudl be good pref a EDF(s) LOL
also about 1/3 of that weight is the nicad radio pack that actualy seem to weight the same as 1000mah lipo i saw in LHS. of course now i have a digital scale , i can confirm it later .LOL
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Old Jun 09, 2010, 10:28 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
I just started my conversion yesterday. It's going to be a pusher version with stock wings as I want good lift to carry the FPV equipment that's going to be going in it. Here's a few pics of my conversion so far. Still haven't decided if I want to remove the dihedral or to try it with the stock wing configuration. I also have another 2 waiting as spares/repairs and possible funjet style conversion.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Jun 09, 2010, 10:29 AM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyas View Post
I hear its advisable to paint the plane with a clearcoat, or something that will harden the outer shell of the "foam" plane.
I think you talking about "liquid sheeting":

http://www.wowplanes.com/product_inf...roducts_id=130

I've never used it, but I here it works well. Although, like Tom said, it probably isn't necessary for this airframe.
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
Last edited by billwhit; Jun 09, 2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old Jun 09, 2010, 10:39 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,179 Posts
Has anyone considered making this into a "cat-type" twin-boom pusher? Just cut the fuselage square behind the wings, then mount the motor on the flat spot. Then add a couple of booms and you are ready to go.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Jun 09, 2010, 12:59 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwhit View Post
I think you talking about "liquid sheeting":

http://www.wowplanes.com/product_inf...roducts_id=130

I've never used it, but I here it works well. Although, like Tom said, it probably isn't necessary for this airframe.
I hadn't seen that stuff advertised... looks like a thinned epoxy coating. That would be more durable than what I was thinking of (WBPU), but at $19 for 8 oz. of the stuff, I could almost buy two complete replacement planes!
Old Jun 09, 2010, 01:02 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post
Has anyone considered making this into a "cat-type" twin-boom pusher? Just cut the fuselage square behind the wings, then mount the motor on the flat spot. Then add a couple of booms and you are ready to go.
Should work, but with the large fuse crossection, a motor spinning a larger prop than 5-6 in. would likely be needed to get some decent thrust and speed out of it.

I'm going to go with a rudder mounted pod with tractor motor arrangement (like the Polaris seaplane), and maybe full articulating tailerons (no ailerons) if I can get the hinge and servo linkages strong enough.
Old Jun 09, 2010, 01:10 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I hadn't seen that stuff advertised... looks like a thinned epoxy coating. That would be more durable than what I was thinking of (WBPU), but at $19 for 8 oz. of the stuff, I could almost buy two complete replacement planes!
I guess you can get it quite a bit cheaper here and it's the same stuff, but you have to buy a large quantity of it. Maybe we should go in on a batch?

http://www.industrialpolymers.com/styrospray.html
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
Old Jun 09, 2010, 01:51 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
yeah the foam is cheap enough you can just buy an extra . I have 3 extra still in bag ( but checked for ok) & my wifes one .

I took it out in the config i last posted , the rudder was more than enough for my needs . was able to turn it back into my yard off a real hard hand chuck .
I wish I had my old big back yard . LOL
I had to tape wings on .. LOL
but the CG point i have is just about perfect , 0 offset on all trims but just a tad on rudder as it was a bit bent to begin with .
- I'm installing hatch clips , as the tape let go during a flight and the radio fell out and was hanging . oh but still very controllable .

(after modding the canards on my small jet set , it flys way too fast for the back yard & i have to do the 2 diode mod yet. but i take the 2 out at same time . )

I think i need to go for a drive to locate suitable field with a "safe slope". pic is of spot just at the end of my road.
If i could find a good spot to slope from , has to be one around here .
Old Jun 09, 2010, 01:58 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwhit View Post
I guess you can get it quite a bit cheaper here and it's the same stuff, but you have to buy a large quantity of it. Maybe we should go in on a batch?

http://www.industrialpolymers.com/styrospray.html
It looks like this could be a good alternative to packing tape on belly landers that have compound curves on the bottom surface. But a 8 oz. can would last me forever. Scotch "Stretchy" Brand packing tape can handle mild compound curves and does a pretty good job for very low cost. That's what I'll use on my Titan.
Old Jun 09, 2010, 02:50 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,031 Posts
Quote:
yeah the foam is cheap enough you can just buy an extra . I have 3 extra still in bag ( but checked for ok) & my wifes one .

I took it out in the config i last posted , the rudder was more than enough for my needs . was able to turn it back into my yard off a real hard hand chuck .
I wish I had my old big back yard . LOL
I had to tape wings on .. LOL
but the CG point i have is just about perfect , 0 offset on all trims but just a tad on rudder as it was a bit bent to begin with .
- I'm installing hatch clips , as the tape let go during a flight and the radio fell out and was hanging . oh but still very controllable .

(after modding the canards on my small jet set , it flys way too fast for the back yard & i have to do the 2 diode mod yet. but i take the 2 out at same time . )

I think i need to go for a drive to locate suitable field with a "safe slope". pic is of spot just at the end of my road.
If i could find a good spot to slope from , has to be one around here .
Hey guys -- check out this guy's slope glider conversion! So cool! Never slope soared before, but I'm fascinated by it!

"Slope Titan" - Prototype Slope Glider, Version 1 (6 min 12 sec)
Old Jun 09, 2010, 02:58 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,031 Posts
Quote:
WBPU , my be a choice . but i do use same paint a SNice , ranging for 99c - 3$ a tube , is easy . I do like the idea of a finish coat as i did sand the entire body of both gliders ( hers and mine) I found it seems to take paint a tad better if it has been sanded . not much thogh as that craft paint is good at covering .

where min is <14oz i wonder what motor woudl be good pref a EDF(s) LOL
also about 1/3 of that weight is the nicad radio pack that actualy seem to weight the same as 1000mah lipo i saw in LHS. of course now i have a digital scale , i can confirm it later .LOL
My edf version had clipped wings (31"), was just under 22oz, and I was NOT light on the build. However, she was still a floater -- had a great glide and had a "pretty" stall -- (nose drop -- no "death" spiral). I had a 64mm 5250KV edf, 50A esc (only needed 40A), and a 2200mah 3s lipo 25C. I think I'm gonna do another simpler EDF version. (See first page, first post for pics & video)
Old Jun 09, 2010, 04:43 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
SNice , yeah saw that video , the closest place i have like that in the vide is about an hours drive .

may go and take cam . (possibly get some iceburg shots too . LOL )
slope is nice , i'll prolly give up before radio pack gives out . LOL

Well knowing you had good run with 22oz lets me know i still have some wiggel room .LOL
hmm should prolly weigh one un-modded as i scooped foam out , not just melt back . i did 50/50 melt back & scoop . (actualy a shaped heated wire for cutting chunks to scoop out )

As i paint mine now , i wonder what power systems i coudl rig on it .
Old Jun 11, 2010, 09:41 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
well.
paint on top is done , (still need some under wings )
the seal it with WBPU spray (the minwax version works good )

any how here is some pics in the awsome sun that is out today . (bit windy , but i found a park just up the road .
( within the glid path of a air port . so had to check with local hobby guys , and they said not a problem , they had it cleared a long time ago , and when i went out to check it out there was a RC float play flying off a near by pond . JOY! )