HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:05 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,115 Posts
Thanks Chances. I have a couple of Futaba PPM receivers, but none of them have more than 6 channels. I will go with what I have for now, perhaps with a 2.02m antenna. Doesn't sound like a 9ch PCM rx is worth it, even if they could be found for cheap 2nd hand.

s.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:18 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
No probs
Id have to recommend UHF for long range tho, 36mhz wavelengths are CrAzY long :P

Why not use a frequency calculator and get that measurement spot on to your specific freq -
eg. 36.110mhz = 81.75 meters
36.360mhz = 81.18 Inches

This is how I would go about it.

Good luck
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Aug 15, 2010, 01:19 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,115 Posts
Just wondering if any of you guys use the Clearview sim:

http://rcflightsim.com/

I've been using it for a number of years and it has helped me with my flying and in particular, learning the stick movements for some of the 3D moves. The best part of it is that it gets continually updated for free. The reason I write this here is that latest version 5.0 and onwards has FPV viewpoint, which really improves the simulation. I like it for a forty dollar sim!

s.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 02:22 AM
Lame-As The real alternative!
Bulli, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
4,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
What setup did you get? You purchased the goggles through us, but what did you settle on for TX/RX??
Hey mate, thanks for looking after me!

I went for this camera

And this Tx/Rx

They only set me back $130 for the set landed (if they land) which left enough money in my budget for some goggles . It's a heap less than I thought I'd have to pay.

I'm cutting some wings this afternoon to carry them.

Waiting for the postman is painful.
narcas is offline Find More Posts by narcas
Last edited by narcas; Aug 15, 2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 09:08 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,267 Posts
I am trying to work out which Futaba 10C takes modules and which is the best one mainly for planes.

Anyone help?
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Aug 15, 2010, 09:55 AM
BRISVEGAS BABY
Joined Mar 2010
120 Posts
Hey i deffinately would go for the corona 9ch from Hobbyking. I have been using them exclusively this year and so far have had the following results

1km with the stock antenna

4.6km @ 100m altitudewith moddified 2.02m antenna (slight gliches after 4km)

5km @ 100m altitude and also at 600m alitude with moddified 4.04m antenna (no gliches at all)

all you need to do to moddify the antenna is add some wire which is about the same as what the antenna is already made out of onto the end ( when i was experimenting i didnt even bother to solder and i still got 4km with 2.02m. Just make sure the total lenght is 1.01m, 2.02m or 4.04m.

Iv never had ANY problems with the receiver. and even if you do... well $20 or $200 dollars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
What do you guys recommend as the best RX for FPV on 36mhz - PPM or PCM? I'm running a Futaba 9C and am trying to narrow the search between the different RX types

s.
nathan089 is offline Find More Posts by nathan089
Old Aug 15, 2010, 06:00 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,115 Posts
Thanks Nathan, 4km sounds like plenty for now.

On a side note, flew my new easy star this morning for the first time, unencumbered with FPV gear as stage one of my FPV project - build the plane. It was windy, but I could not end the flight soon enough. It is a horrible flying plane on it's own. Just as well it makes a good fpv platform!

s.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 09:17 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
Thanks Mr. B for your tree rescuing assistance....

http://www.vimeo.com/14152318

A Gunlai corsair that doesn't like more weight, and a pilot who couldn't see past the long nose equals climbing a very precarious pine tree where every second branch you put your foot on snaps off...

It flew again with the FPV equipment removed until a great flight in some high winds ripped the wing off from about 50 up, causing the fuse to arc elegantly into the ground a few meters from my feet.

It had more epoxy than foam, but I'll miss it just the same... R.I.P.

Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Aug 15, 2010, 09:43 PM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Damn, that last 2 seconds in the air were scary :P
Old Aug 15, 2010, 09:47 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
Yeah, I had control ok for the flight except for the end. I think I just took too much throttle off, being used to the plane without the FPV gear weight, and it just stalled...

If I mounted the camera higher I probably would have been able to fly better - but I wanted that in cockpit feel. Ah well!
Old Aug 15, 2010, 10:31 PM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
Yeah, I had control ok for the flight except for the end. I think I just took too much throttle off, being used to the plane without the FPV gear weight, and it just stalled...

If I mounted the camera higher I probably would have been able to fly better - but I wanted that in cockpit feel. Ah well!
What camera are you using? It always sucks flying at sunset and then flying towards the sun, cant see
Old Aug 15, 2010, 11:53 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
it's a KX191. Yeah it was harder to see in the goggles than the video that's for sure...
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:01 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
it's a KX191. Yeah it was harder to see in the goggles than the video that's for sure...
Hmm, their good cameras too, the best ive seen, for light control, is the "fatshark" RCV922.

Well good luck getting back in the air!
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:02 AM
BRISVEGAS BABY
Joined Mar 2010
120 Posts
Yeah i hate it... i used to fly 3D before i got into FPV and the its infuriating not having ailerons. Thats why i have ordered in the TwinStar and the funjet.... I am contemplating putting some gear into my Precision Aerobatics Extra but i think the prop will ruin the video to much to make enjoyable flying....

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
Thanks Nathan, 4km sounds like plenty for now.

On a side note, flew my new easy star this morning for the first time, unencumbered with FPV gear as stage one of my FPV project - build the plane. It was windy, but I could not end the flight soon enough. It is a horrible flying plane on it's own. Just as well it makes a good fpv platform!

s.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:39 AM
BRISVEGAS BABY
Joined Mar 2010
120 Posts
hey all

I am trying to get a 9c or 10c futaba in 36mhz... everywhere i have called (even northcoast hobby which was recommended a few pages back) can't get hold of them anymore. I have seen some available from other countries in 35mhz 27mhz 40mhz and obviously 72mhz and i was wondering apart from the legality (im pretty sure the 1000mw 2.4ghz VTX which i am definitely not using is much more illegal ) is there any reason why they would not work, i.e the channels are being used by TV or Radio stations or something and would just be to much interference.

the other advantage i was seeing is what are the chances of me being shot down by someone else ... pretty slim, i would think

Cheers