HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2015, 05:55 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
2,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer View Post
I posted a note on the RCG Taranis Open TX forum and within minutes a guy by the name of Tom in the UK provided all the info I needed including screen shots.
Therein the real power of open source software!!

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:14 PM
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Oct 2014
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia View Post
I wanted to post a few snaps of the FS-i10 and the above info as it might also be of interest to you.
Nice looking box. Is it thinner than typical Tx's? I have small hands and a thinner case would be helpful to me in handling the Tx while flying. I fly with a neck strap for the security of it but still wouldn't mind the Tx being easier to hold. Have you held one? How do the gimbals feel? How is the switch quality?

Quote:
As I described before all the basic stuff with inputs, mixer and servos is all very straight forward, but highly flexible and powerful. But the real power of it all comes from creating your own logic. Open TX does not have a predefined screen for throttle cut like my Futaba radios, you do whatever you want with the Open TX logic.
Are you doing this all through Companion Tx? The only thing that has kept me away from a Taranis is having to deal with learning Open Tx and your experiences are helping convince me that is not as bad as I feared. While I understand the power of an open source code and no predetermined limits, I am worried about the simplicity of basic model setup and user friendliness for the models that don't need all the bells and whistles.

Quote:
Therein the real power of open source software!!
It is a double edged sword, though. Having no preset limits is fantastic, but also having to rely on the community for support and instructions can be less than ideal. There are dozens of threads in the Radio forum about programming issues and user frustration regarding learning to use the Taranis.

Mark
mmattock is offline Find More Posts by mmattock
Old Mar 26, 2015, 02:39 PM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,488 Posts
Mark,

I have the Companion TX and have looked it over pretty carefully, but decided for my start up I would do all my programming through the transmitter interface. The Companion TX would be easier to use because of the mouse point and click interface, but I thought starting out with the transmitter interface will help me if I want to adjust something at the field.

Like my Futaba radios it boots up from the factory with a simple four channel model, so it is not like you have to program everything from scratch. I copied that model and named it Kaos 40 and started making the modifications I wanted and setting it up for my modified kit built Kaos (powered with a OS 55 ). Like I did on my Futaba radios I will keep building on the models, e.g. the Kaos will be copied to become my Crusader and then make changes to that new model.

My Kaos already was flying with a D series FrSky receiver and my Futaba 9C that has a FrSky telemetry module. The D series receiver is compatible with the Taranis, so all I had to do is bind the receiver with the Taranis. The difference between the new X receiver that I bought with the Taranis and the D is that the fail safe on the D is set at the receiver level and it does not have model match like the X. The X receiver is a little smaller and has upgraded telemetry support with S buss.

Once I had the receiver bound in the Kaos I checked the controls for centering, movement, and direction. I discovered that the default throttle on the Taranis is reversed from the default Futaba direction so I changed that in the Taranis. When I reversed the throttle servo direction I had to make a change to my throttle cut logic but it was no big deal. I like to keep the servo directions in all of my aircraft the same.

I’ve only had one opportunity to test the response of the crowd sourcing and that was for some help with my throttle cut logic. Keep in mind that the logic I’m using is not something someone else has been using, but it is the exact logic I wanted to use and I had my answer on the forum in minutes with screen clips and all. It actually is a little more ingenious than the built in 12FG throttle cut.

I remember when I went from my Futaba 9C to my 12FG I was absolutely confounded on how to setup triple rates and I could find nothing in the Futaba documentation or web on how to do it. I got my answer from Bax, but it took a day before he checked my question on the Futaba forum on RCU. In the case of the Taranis there is a video link on the Aloft Hobbies site and it did not take me long to get it working.

I read a lot of stuff on the forums as I was considering the Taranis and for sure there are people that are having problems understanding how to program stuff, but much of it seems to be related to FPV flyers that are heavy into the telemetry. So far the transition from my Futaba radios to the Taranis feels easer that when I went from my Futaba 9C to the 12FG. Or maybe I’ve just been very lucky !

After having the Taranis for a few days I’m really wondering what the impact of Open TX is going to be on our hobby and the manufacturing of radios. When a $250 radio has equal or greater features and flexibility than $3,000 radios, what does that mean? Will Open TX be adopted by the old time big radio names? Will there be $3,000 Open TX radios with super expensive CNC ball bearing sticks, super color displays and expensive cases?

It just seems like Open TX might be the future and for a very small cost I get to play with it. Finding out that icons of the radio control industry like Sid Gates are flying a Taranis washed away any concerns I had about quality and reliability.

The only problem that I can see now is that I would not order one from any place but Aloft Hobbies because I really trust them and they are out of stock.

I’ll keep you all update on my experience.

Mike
Jet_Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Jet_Flyer
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Mar 26, 2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 03:28 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
2,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmattock View Post

Nice looking box. Is it thinner than typical Tx's? I have small hands and a thinner case would be helpful to me in handling the Tx while flying. I fly with a neck strap for the security of it but still wouldn't mind the Tx being easier to hold. Have you held one? How do the gimbals feel? How is the switch quality?
Mark,

Yes, it is notably thinner than the average Tx. There are several videos on YouTube discussing the Tx. I have not held one as they are generally in short supply (to be restocked in about 15 days) but by everyone's accounts who have flown or used one otherwise, they say the case is great. Rick Bell (imodel here or on RCU) recently reviewed it in MAN (May I think) with great things to say about it. If Rick gives it the OK, that gives me no pause in picking one up.

As for the gimbals and switch quality, they are up there in quality particularly for the price - or so I've read/heard. Generally I'd be more concerned with the pots (two on the sides and three in the center) than the switches but time will tell how they all fare. I would venture the hardware componentry is likely on par with the Taranis. I think the case just needs to be painted something other than the usual silver...

Quote:
It is a double edged sword, though. Having no preset limits is fantastic, but also having to rely on the community for support and instructions can be less than ideal. There are dozens of threads in the Radio forum about programming issues and user frustration regarding learning to use the Taranis.
Yes, open source has its disadvantages but given the option between community wide spread support and company only support, I will usually take the former. The entire internet is based on open source software and without that model, it would most likely not exist. In short, open source works despite user frustration (which can be expected from the less initiated).

There may not be a single "point" person as say someone like Andy Kunz is for Spektrum but Open Tx is now being used by thousands worldwide so typically questions one may have are readily answered or already have been answered. Something akin to the quintessential forum question "does anyone know where the CG is on such and such a classic?" It seems that question gets asked about 10 times a day often about a recurring model. But that is the nature of online forums - not everyone knows that the question has been asked umpteen times before.

While the Taranis was on my hot list (but not yet bought also due to shortage), I've decided to give the lesser known FS-i10, non open source, Tx a go. Pricing is very similar but what I find of interest is the user interface. The iPhone like programming model is very intuitive and I suspect that ALL Tx will soon be going that direction (as already attested by the higher end brand Tx's) as the icon driven model is thoroughly entrenched. It is just too intuitive to pass up and there doesn't seem to be anything in the software that I have thought of doing that can't be done (of course the proof will be in the actual use of it) with it.

Aside from that, I was also specifically in the market for a 10 channel system as that is what some of the models I'm designing call for servo wise. Having a discrete channel for each servo is the path to nirvana (as Mike wisely put it) and the option to add another four servos (14 channels) to this system makes for an easy path to "large model" multi-servo control requirements (e.g., dual aileron/elevator/rudder servos).

I hope to have one in hand in about a months time so provided all goes well, I'll start a thread in the forum to have further discussion.

David
Last edited by doxilia; Mar 26, 2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 03:30 PM
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Oct 2014
164 Posts
Quote:
It just seems like Open TX might be the future and for a very small cost I get to play with it. Finding out that icons of the radio control industry like Sid Gates are flying a Taranis washed away any concerns I had about quality and reliability.

The only problem that I can see now is that I would not order one from any place but Aloft Hobbies because I really trust them and they are out of stock.

I’ll keep you all update on my experience.
Thanks for the reply. I think that Open Tx or some other open source code will be the future of R/C. The power it offers is simply unmatched by any of the big names in Tx's unless you spend many thousands of dollars for a very high end Futaba or JR product. I know some users dump on the quality of the Chinese radios but they don't seem to realize that most of us don't care that much about super high end anything for flying at the local gym or park and the current Chinese radios are more than adequate for 95% of users at a fraction of the cost of even the Spektrum equipment.

I am currently flying indoor foamies with a JR X388S using the FrSky module and X4R receivers, all purchased from Aloft the same as you. Wayne was great to deal with and I will happily do business with Aloft again.

Quote:
I hope to have one in hand in about a months time so provided all goes well, I'll start a thread in the forum to have further discussion.
Excellent, I look forward to it.

Mark
mmattock is offline Find More Posts by mmattock
Last edited by mmattock; Mar 26, 2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,488 Posts
One on the guys on the forum spent a lot of time on this chart https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxM...RUE/view?pli=1 that compares a number of Spektrum radios with Taranis. Interesting to see all the features lined up like this on a chart.

Now if my Taranis just had my Futaba 12FG case and gimbals (less the nasty Futaba potentiometer problem) that would be pretty cool.

Mike
Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
2,162 Posts
Mike,

your new avatar confirms that you have officially moved over to the dark side...

There's no turning back now.

David
Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
The Netherlands, OV, Almelo
Joined Nov 2010
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Mike,

your new avatar confirms that you have officially moved over to the dark side...

David
This applies to anyone who uses a computer radio for classic pattern flying. By using which type of radio the Crusader originally was controlled by Ralphe Brooke? indeed, a basic proportional system without all these whistles and bells as we see nowadays.

See this thread and post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHG View Post
OK, I'll bite ...

(a) A thick airfoil with a rounded leading edge softens pitch response, smoothing out the loops when you don't have the option of just programming in some exponential control response. (Same reason as the diamond airfoil on the stabilizer).

(b) A thick airfoil provides adequate wing strength using contemporary materials and construction methods -- often just 2 balsa spars, open rib bays, and no shear webbing.

(c) On later designs, you needed thickness to accommodate retractable landing gear.

(d) Ed Kazmirski did it, so it must be right!

(e) All of the above.

Cheers,
Duane (former Taurus owner)
Using computer radio's? A built thread over many years? ARF models? Modifying verything of the original pattern ships, even the airfoils, retracts,?
That's no Classic Pattern Flying anymore, that's Sport Flying
My opinion.

Taurus Flyer
Taurus Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Taurus Flyer
Last edited by Taurus Flyer; Yesterday at 11:08 AM.
Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Dec 2007
705 Posts
Damn if a piped wheels up somewhat modified classic pattern plane doesn't make most/all of the club members stop and watch as it does a full bore pass low over the runway. As of yet not one single member has commented on the slightly modified airfoil or retracts, they just admire the beauty of that bygone era.

One has to assume Cees would spew his breakfast noticing the modern alterations during the flight mentioned above.............................
dhal22 is online now Find More Posts by dhal22
Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Mike,

David
I’m afraid so David and I even made a modest donation to the Open Source project.

The spreadsheet above glossed over a really game changing Taranis function by calling it “logical switches” and then this note, “4 This is a core feature of Open Tx and is huge advantage for the Taranis because the user can define custom conditions to trigger events, mixing, telemetry, alerts, etc.”

It is beyond “custom conditions” because it is multi statement/line Boolean logic with variables. They could have covered more on the LUA scripting too.

But, overall I think the spreadsheet comparison is really good.

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Yesterday at 08:58 PM.