HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:56 AM
Joined Nov 2014
16 Posts
Discussion
OpenAero2 Roll Not Working

I am building a Osprey V22 like model. Almost done. I installed the KK2 board with OpenAero 2 firmware.

Everything is working great except on roll. Both motors spool up on a roll to the right, and spool down on a roll to the left. Can anyone help? I think I have tried everything... except the answer.

Channel Mixing
Output 1
Source A: Throttle
Volume: 100
Source B: Aileron
Volume: 70
Source Mix: ON
Roll Gyro: ON
Pitch Gyro: OFF
Yaw Gyro: OFF
Roll Acc: ON
Pitch Acc: OFF

Output 2
Source A: Throttle
Volume: 100
Source B: Aileron
Volume: -70
Source Mix: ON
Roll Gyro: ON
Pitch Gyro: OFF
Yaw Gyro: OFF
Roll Acc: ON
Pitch Acc: OFF
Daniel29209 is offline Find More Posts by Daniel29209
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:35 AM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Dec 2006
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel29209 View Post
I am building a Osprey V22 like model. Almost done. I installed the KK2 board with OpenAero 2 firmware.

Everything is working great except on roll. Both motors spool up on a roll to the right, and spool down on a roll to the left. Can anyone help? I think I have tried everything... except the answer.
This question would be better asked in the OpenAero-VTOL thread, which at the moment is just above this one. I will attempt to answer though...

You are using the OpenAero-VTOL firmware right? There is an OpenAero2 firmware that is not meant for use in VTOL applications. The correct firmware is available at the end of the first post in the OpenAero-VTOL thread which is here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1972686

A detailed instruction manual, and a spreadsheet that describes the menu structure are also available at the end of the first post.

I am guessing that when you apply aileron stick input, that one motor speeds up and the other slows down as you would want, but when you physically roll the aircraft, the stability feedback response causes both motors to speed up or slow down at the same time.

The problem is that you are not using the firmware in the manner that it was intended to be used. There is no reason to use the Source A and Source B inputs for somthing like this.

You need to use the "P1 Thro. Volume:", or "P2 Thro. Volume:" parameter for throttle. In your case I would set both to 100.

You need to use the "P1 Ail. volume:" to provide your Roll stick input. 70 and -70 are very high values. Usually 20 or 30 is more typical.

The Gyro based PID type feedback takes its polarity from the related stick input, aileron for roll, elevator for pitch, and rudder for yaw. Likewise the AL (Autolevel) feedback gets the correct polarity in the same way. By not using the "P1 Ail. volume:" as intended you are not giving the feedback any basis for polarity so it is defaulting to positive on both motors.

Good Luck.
Ran D. St. Clair is online now Find More Posts by Ran D. St. Clair
Last edited by Ran D. St. Clair; Nov 12, 2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 02:30 PM
Joined Nov 2014
16 Posts
Thanks Ran, I will investigate.

I am new to forums in general ... just was hitting a brick wall with this problem. I am running OpenAero2. I don't think it is the VTOL version, but it does have 3 profiles. It seems to be doing the trick except for this roll issue.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 04:04 PM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Dec 2006
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel29209 View Post
Thanks Ran, I will investigate.

I am new to forums in general ... just was hitting a brick wall with this problem. I am running OpenAero2. I don't think it is the VTOL version, but it does have 3 profiles. It seems to be doing the trick except for this roll issue.
Welcome to the world of forums. Like the world in general, we have a lot of helpful people and a few jerks.

You really want to use OpenAero-VTOL at the link I provided. OpenAero2 was mainly meant to turn a KK2 Multicopter flight controller into a fixed wing aircraft stabalizer. It doesn't have the multi-mode transition capabilities to manage both hovering flight and forward flight. If you want to continue to use OpenAero2 I suggest you put your question on this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1708175

I can't help you with OpenAero2 as I only worked with it briefly before evolving OpenAero-VTOL. They were both created by HappySundays so there are significant similarities though.

You might check to see if there is an inverted option, as in OFF/ON/INVERTED.
Ran D. St. Clair is online now Find More Posts by Ran D. St. Clair
Last edited by Ran D. St. Clair; Nov 12, 2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 08:47 PM
Joined Nov 2014
16 Posts
Thanks again. After investigation I decided was best to try the OA2-VTOL firmware. I find the instructions and documentation very helpful especially the examples in the xls file (btw love the xc-142, very inspirational). I will let you know how it goes. Cheers