HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2014, 08:28 PM
build, fly, crash...repeat
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,594 Posts
Question to float flyers?

Thinking about converting my EP Beaver to floats and am wondering how tall plane is from bottom of floats to top of rudder? Essentially trying to determine if I'd be able to transport in pickup with canopy.

Cheers
marksp is offline Find More Posts by marksp
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2014, 06:42 AM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
3,509 Posts
It's at my buddy's house but it fits in my Honda Pilot with the rudder just brushing the headliner.
barracudahockey is online now Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Dec 19, 2014, 08:17 PM
USA, NC, Fletcher
Joined Feb 2010
23 Posts
Boy, I'm in the "hate that cowl mounting" club too. I don't even think I can get screws into the bottom mounts because the brackets are tucked in too far in front of the firewall.
On another note, I have this Saito 180 that I was considering using on my Beaver. Am I crazy? I'll be flying with wheels only, no floats, so I'm thinking that it would fly in a scale manner with this engine. What do you think? If I use it, how far back can I push that box that you mount the engine to? The Saito is longer than the Evolution 33 that is recommended, so it would have to go further back to keep from having it stick out the front too far. Is there a reason not to just cut the outer box off the firewall? I can't figure out why I need it sticking out there, and I'd have to cut part of it anyway to use this engine. I'm just a little confused as to how to proceed here.
Thanks guys, just need a little kick start to get me going.
Rick
allenpad is offline Find More Posts by allenpad
Old Dec 19, 2014, 08:59 PM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
3,509 Posts
Sharpen the screws to points and use a ball driver.

They are a nag but it will go together.
barracudahockey is online now Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:42 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenpad View Post
... If I use it, how far back can I push that box that you mount the engine to? The Saito is longer than the Evolution 33 that is recommended, so it would have to go further back to keep from having it stick out the front too far. Is there a reason not to just cut the outer box off the firewall? I can't figure out why I need it sticking out there, and I'd have to cut part of it anyway to use this engine. I'm just a little confused as to how to proceed here.
Thanks guys, just need a little kick start to get me going.
Rick
I cut off flush with firewall to accommodate longer engine.

Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:33 AM
USA, NC, Fletcher
Joined Feb 2010
23 Posts
I'll sharpen those screws now, and hope for better luck!
And Mark, I've read your build thread as well as the one using the 77cc radial, and have learned quite a lot. I was just a little apprehensive about cutting that box off and wishing I hadn't for some reason. I guess it's only needed if you use an electric setup, correct?
The Saito 180 is only about 5/8" longer than that Evolution 33, so it shouldn't be a problem to push the mounting box back that much further, I hope!
Old Dec 20, 2014, 01:22 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,594 Posts
I actually think the "sleeve" is useful for mounting any engine/motor in which the box needs to slide forward of the firewall. In our case, the engine depth requires mounting flush or aft of the firewall, so no need of the sleeve. 1 or more sides of the sleeve may have been useful for mounting ignition, battery, etc., but in my case the radial requires cutting all sides.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 03:00 PM
USA, NC, Fletcher
Joined Feb 2010
23 Posts
Thanks Mark, I feel better about cutting it now.
That cowl mounting is still giving me a fit though. I can't even get a screw into the lower brackets on the fuselage because they're tucked too far in. That's without the cowl in place. I've got a call in to Horizon; it'll be interesting.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:40 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Jun 2006
648 Posts
25 inches if sitting down on the rear of floats. 28 inches if sitting on the rudders (not recommended).

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksp View Post
Question to float flyers?

Thinking about converting my EP Beaver to floats and am wondering how tall plane is from bottom of floats to top of rudder? Essentially trying to determine if I'd be able to transport in pickup with canopy.

Cheers
Craig Greening is online now Find More Posts by Craig Greening
Old Dec 23, 2014, 12:45 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,594 Posts
Right on, thanks!

Much less than I expected as my current height is 21.5" sitting on DuBro 6" tundras.

Cheers
Old Dec 24, 2014, 01:52 PM
USA, NC, Fletcher
Joined Feb 2010
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenpad View Post
Thanks Mark, I feel better about cutting it now.
That cowl mounting is still giving me a fit though. I can't even get a screw into the lower brackets on the fuselage because they're tucked too far in. That's without the cowl in place. I've got a call in to Horizon; it'll be interesting.
Horizon was no help; they said that if I hadn't already assembled the tail section, they could send me a new fuselage, so I just took my Dremel and sanded some notches in the side of the fuse so the screws would go in. I'll paint the bare wood later. Now having trouble routing my exhaust around the firewall........problems, problems. Oh well, that's R/C