HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:18 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
3,072 Posts
If you use good blades (preferrably semisymetrical) 2000 to 2200 RPM should suffice.

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:12 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,101 Posts
This topic resurfaces time and time again. Time to resurface it again. The intro has been tweaked with a couple of helpful suggestions from other instructors.
Have a GREAT 3D flight!
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:11 PM
Sir Crashalot
Murray, KY
Joined Mar 2007
224 Posts
Well written primer. I really have never seen the point in some of the things people call "flying"... I consider it flailing around wildly. There's hardly any form to it.. Not, inverted, toilet bowl, tick tocks and all those standards, sure.. But some of the things I see in 3D flights are just daft.

I'd flown FP birds for some time now, but recently decided to step up and get a Master CP with an 8S. Seems well built and sturdy, yay! I don't think flying it will be that much more difficult than the larger FP birds I'd dealt with, it'll be getting the hang of the CP settings and tx setup that will rack my brain for a while.
DarkWolf is offline Find More Posts by DarkWolf
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:10 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,618 Posts
You will like your Master c/p. I don'y like hards core 3D as it looks like a crash ready to happen. Brovo to those who do it but I like my helis. Some 3D looks fine and intend to do a little with my mico 100 size but nice and easy. I have V200D01/ Master c/p/ V400D02 that might do something scale with. Are there any kits out there for any of these? I see Blade has body for Mcpx. Canopies on stock birds are done very nice and thats fine.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:42 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,101 Posts
3D or not 3D - that is the question! Or is that 2B or not 2B? "Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune from the 3D advocates". What ruffles my feathers and gets under my wings is the thinking if you don't fly 3D you are missing one of your rotors. 3D is many things to many people. To many it is a validation they can do it and a measure of reflex speed - of which they would be only too glad to show you. There is no doubt the younger the faster - ask anyone under 30. But hark these words of 50's and 60's - the mind remains active. Fine motor control and concentration replaces speed and agility. A skill-set of precision and fine movement instead of rocketing and thumb jerking. Speaking from self - what an incredible therapy - what an even more rewarding feeling and sense of accomplishment. "That patient merit of the unworthy takes, when he himself might his Quietus make."

captJac - with apologies to Shakespeare
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:33 AM
T-REX 250 -450-500-600-700G
ITALY, PAVIA
Joined Mar 2009
346 Posts
Please where can I find written explanations on how to make 3D maneuvers? I have the PHoenix Simulator but are just some Visual examples. Thank you
I-FELN is offline Find More Posts by I-FELN
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:48 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
3,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-FELN View Post
Please where can I find written explanations on how to make 3D maneuvers? I have the PHoenix Simulator but are just some Visual examples. Thank you
I think, this is exactly the thread, where you would NOT ask those questions....

(not because this is an "anti-thread", but just because here not many 3D experts present....)

Brgds. Bert
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:57 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,101 Posts
"And makes us rather bear those ills we have, than fly to others that we know not of."
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:21 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
3D or not 3D? Seems it would depend on the Pilot's ability. Where I'm at right now, NOT 3D. Just ain't got the skills for that type of flying. Don't rightly know if I ever will. But I WILL enjoy what I can do, and who knows? Maybe my ability will progress, maybe not, but for now, I'll just stick with Sport type stuff...when I get my 6 Ch.
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:42 PM
T-REX 250 -450-500-600-700G
ITALY, PAVIA
Joined Mar 2009
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967 View Post
I think, this is exactly the thread, where you would NOT ask those questions....

(not because this is an "anti-thread", but just because here not many 3D experts present....)

Brgds. Bert
Hi Bert.
I know! the question was also challenging in the sense that those who want to spend maybe a sport flying as I make a few more demanding manoeuvre must also know how to run it and see if it is feasible based on your skill!
I hope that some 3D expert can give suggestions
BRegards
CD
I-FELN is offline Find More Posts by I-FELN
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:25 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
3,072 Posts
Well, at least I cannot help you there....

How is your gasser conversion going?

Brgds, Bert
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Oct 2009
227 Posts
Great thread Capt'n

Just happened by this thread,...what a logical way to help nubees !!!

My wife bought me a 130X, not flown yet,...under the tree !!
So while waiting for Xmas to happen I was on the 130X ????? thread for help, as the 130X will be my transition from fixed (120SR) to CP.

As noted, most of the "help" is coming from 3D pilots, which is not much "help" for guys like me who were asking for advice.

Although I have no experience with CP, I still would have thought that "flying" with a flat lower power throttle curve and minimal neg. pitch would be the smart way to learn,...but that was not what was being suggested there.

I have a couple of questions,...your original post has some slightly different numbers from your #79 post for the mCPx.
Which set would be the best for my 130X ??,...and any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Also, why would "throttle hold" have 10% in the manual ?

Thanks again, RUD.
RUDDERLESS is offline Find More Posts by RUDDERLESS
Last edited by RUDDERLESS; Dec 19, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:21 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,101 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up on post 79. I changed the throttle curve on ST1 so the beginner still has a chance if he slams the stick down. That reflex is awfully hard to change when you have one of those moments. The 130x is a bigger bird than the mCPx but the pitch curve should be about the same. You may have to tweak the throttle curve up 10%. You might want to keep that 130x under the tree a little longer until you get some time on a simulator.

The Horizonhobby webpage says ** This helicopter is intended for advanced CCPM pilots only. It is capable of extremely high head speeds and aggressive 3D maneuvers." I suspect that is NOT a brag - it is a warning. You might want to consider an mCPX or nano CP first - they are a LOT more forgiving when you crash - and you will crash a LOT - that is part of learning.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:27 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac View Post
3D or not 3D - that is the question! Or is that 2B or not 2B? "Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune from the 3D advocates". What ruffles my feathers and gets under my wings is the thinking if you don't fly 3D you are missing one of your rotors. 3D is many things to many people. To many it is a validation they can do it and a measure of reflex speed - of which they would be only too glad to show you. There is no doubt the younger the faster - ask anyone under 30. But hark these words of 50's and 60's - the mind remains active. Fine motor control and concentration replaces speed and agility. A skill-set of precision and fine movement instead of rocketing and thumb jerking. Speaking from self - what an incredible therapy - what an even more rewarding feeling and sense of accomplishment. "That patient merit of the unworthy takes, when he himself might his Quietus make."

captJac - with apologies to Shakespeare
There is also that need to fit in and be accepted by the pack. I watched a study on tv a while back where a guy was staring into a tree. He told anyone who asked there was snake (that didn't really exist) on one of the limbs, and tried to point it out. When he had a couple of people looking his accomplice walked over, asked what's going on, and was told the guy thinks he sees a snake. The accomplice said "yeah - there it is, he just moved his head". Suddenly everybody else saw it, and in a few minutes there was a crowd of like 30 people who saw a snake that didn't exist.

"I shall be telling
this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood,
and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference"

...Robert Frost
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:21 AM
United States, KY, Cadiz
Joined Nov 2011
94 Posts
i am back!

hey captjack, i had given up on cp helis but your info and the info from others that have joined this thread have given me confidence to try it again! i have a beatup blade 400 that i am going to rebuild and convert to fbl,any and all help would be great!What fbl system sould i use?(that autolevel/bail out sounds neat)head?update servos? the blade 400 is my only bird and parts look to be still around so is it a good heli to put more $ into or should i get something bigger and newer?Scale type flying is all i ever wanted to do and you sir(captjack) started this thread and for that i think you sould be nominated president of the new RCG SCALE FLYING ONLY CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ANYONE WANT TO SECOND THIS MOTION? Hey man thanks a crap load!
rockyboy2 is offline Find More Posts by rockyboy2
Last edited by rockyboy2; Dec 20, 2012 at 09:09 PM.
Closed Thread