SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 03, 2006, 06:39 PM
I like the violent stuff!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,204 Posts
Discussion
Aileron Slow Stick on Steroids

I'm sure this has been done before. Two stock wings joined to make a flat fully symetrical wing. Brushless Himaxx outrunner custom landing gear and custom tail-feathers. I'm hoping with a large enough rudder, it will knife edge! I'm going to maiden it tomorrow, I thought I'd take some pictures " just in case." You never know what's going to happen with a new project!
Wingin' Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wingin' Wayne
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2006, 07:50 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingin' Wayne
I'm sure this has been done before. Two stock wings joined to make a flat fully symetrical wing. Brushless Himaxx outrunner custom landing gear and custom tail-feathers. I'm hoping with a large enough rudder, it will knife edge! I'm going to maiden it tomorrow, I thought I'd take some pictures " just in case." You never know what's going to happen with a new project!
Unless you have a 4 foot rudder don't expect it to knife edge! Should be a blast to fly however. let us know how it goes.......
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Sep 03, 2006, 11:04 PM
TEM
Joined Aug 2003
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
Unless you have a 4 foot rudder don't expect it to knife edge! Should be a blast to fly however. let us know how it goes.......
boomer
How about if it was going REAL fast? Is it still a knife edge if the plane was prop-hanging and drifting sideways?
TEM is offline Find More Posts by TEM
Old Sep 03, 2006, 11:12 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEM
How about if it was going REAL fast? Is it still a knife edge if the plane was prop-hanging and drifting sideways?
If you are doing the flying you can call it anything you want!
boomer
Old Sep 04, 2006, 01:49 AM
TEM
Joined Aug 2003
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
If you are doing the flying you can call it anything you want!
boomer
A-men brother!
TEM is offline Find More Posts by TEM
Old Sep 04, 2006, 12:08 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,373 Posts
You'll need some side area on the fuselage for knife edge, but it's not hard to add.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Sep 06, 2006, 01:33 PM
I like the violent stuff!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,204 Posts
Flight Report

It's been a couple of days and a couple of flights. This plane would make a great aileron trainer! You can fly it slow and very stable, it lands at a crawl. The big ailerons give it REAL authority. The roll rate is a little faster than one per second and with the brusless outrunner, slow vertical rolls were really cool! Inverted flight is sweet and stable with just a touch of down elevator. Boomer was right, it won't knife edge, it has a top speed of about 25 but when you roll it on it's side, the big rudder just isn't enough. I have a new foamie Ultimate Biplane and I'm learnig to 3d, I thought this plane might do some 3d REALLY SLOW. No chance, it does what it was intended to do and does it very well, I'm happy with the results! I'd put a smilie in here, but I can't figure how.
Wingin' Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wingin' Wayne
Old Sep 06, 2006, 02:06 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingin' Wayne
It's been a couple of days and a couple of flights. This plane would make a great aileron trainer! You can fly it slow and very stable, it lands at a crawl. The big ailerons give it REAL authority. The roll rate is a little faster than one per second and with the brusless outrunner, slow vertical rolls were really cool! Inverted flight is sweet and stable with just a touch of down elevator. Boomer was right, it won't knife edge, it has a top speed of about 25 but when you roll it on it's side, the big rudder just isn't enough. I have a new foamie Ultimate Biplane and I'm learnig to 3d, I thought this plane might do some 3d REALLY SLOW. No chance, it does what it was intended to do and does it very well, I'm happy with the results! I'd put a smilie in here, but I can't figure how.
Good Job Wayne! Sounds like fun.
boomer