SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 13, 2014, 07:01 PM
Su-27's Rule!
Philippines, NCR, Pasig City
Joined Nov 2012
799 Posts
Discussion
blunt trailing edge=vortex shedding->flutter?

Can a blunt trailing edge of a Flat/rectangular control surface cause flutter?

I know with proper reinforcement/no slop linkages, flutter usually is "killed" but would making the trailing edge sharp make the flutter go away?
Su-33 is online now Find More Posts by Su-33
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A cheap way to measure Kv
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2014, 09:21 PM
Grad student in aeronautics
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Oct 2010
453 Posts
Are you referring to the control surface oscillating or the entire wing oscillating?
DPATE is offline Find More Posts by DPATE
Old Oct 13, 2014, 09:55 PM
Su-27's Rule!
Joined Nov 2012
799 Posts
both
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:12 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,414 Posts
Ideally the trailing edge SHOULD be sharp. That is the proper way and the way that produces the least drag.

I've also seen more flat non-tapered control surfaces with extreme blunt edges flutter than I have with sharp TE's on control surfaces.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:04 AM
Su-27's Rule!
Joined Nov 2012
799 Posts
just i had guessed, i asked because my F-22 and F/A-18 both had blunt trailing edges and both had a bad case of flutter up to the point one of the fins flew off
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:14 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,414 Posts
With larger blunt edges you're going to get the same sort of alternating vortex shedding that causes flags to flap in the wind with a back and forth flutter. But a smooth airfoil will float with no flutter just fine.

If you're working with Depron foam then the foam itself is generally not stiff enough to work all that well at resisting the twisting. Add on the blunt TE issue and you have a good recipe for moderate to high speed flutter. Maybe try shaving a set of controls down to a triangle shape with a sharp TE then tape or glue on some tissue over all the sides of the control to stiffen it up with a rigid skin.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 02:28 PM
Nederland, GE
Joined Jan 2010
129 Posts
also, blunt trailing edges are heavy near the trailing edge wich promotes flutter . the center of mass of the surface nearer to the hinge line is better, as occurs with sharp TE
m4rc3l is offline Find More Posts by m4rc3l
Old Oct 15, 2014, 07:03 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rc3l View Post
also, blunt trailing edges are heavy near the trailing edge wich promotes flutter . the center of mass of the surface nearer to the hinge line is better, as occurs with sharp TE
Yes--
blunt trailing edges are good on some designs- notably aerobatic types - the full scale EXTRAS are examples
On our models, the cg of the control surfaces is important in stopping flutter On our large designs, we kept balance point on ailerons an elevators at 20% or less. the rudder - Blunt-- some even use a plate along te. this strange looking device stops tail wagging
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Oct 15, 2014, 08:36 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,385 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that a rounded trailing edge is actually worse than a square cut one.

Does that hold true ?
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:02 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,414 Posts
Yes, rounded is still worse. As I recall the pictures in the article in a magazine from years ago the round TE tends to form that side to side "flag flutter" more strongly with alternating vortices being shed that makes the surface want to flutter.

But the proportionally large and strongly square "blunt" TE was only a little better.

Let's keep something in mind. When you folks call something a "blunt" TE I'm seeing and discussing a flat totally untapered 1/4" flat strip aileron on a 10 to 12 inch chord wing section. Not a tapered section with a 1/32" fat TE done for some small amount of durability.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:45 AM
Joined Oct 2007
6,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews View Post
Yes, rounded is still worse. As I recall the pictures in the article in a magazine from years ago the round TE tends to form that side to side "flag flutter" more strongly with alternating vortices being shed that makes the surface want to flutter.

But the proportionally large and strongly square "blunt" TE was only a little better.

Let's keep something in mind. When you folks call something a "blunt" TE I'm seeing and discussing a flat totally untapered 1/4" flat strip aileron on a 10 to 12 inch chord wing section. Not a tapered section with a 1/32" fat TE done for some small amount of durability.
We are not all on same page - The surfaces I am noting, are typically 3-5 " chord with the TE 1/4" thick -part of a sym airfoil -say 10% to 15% thick
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:01 PM
Joined Jan 2009
504 Posts
Here is an interesting document related to the shape of trailing edges and its influence on lift and drag. This is not related directly to the OP question as it doesn't speak of the influence of the trailing edge's shape on potential flutter. The links in this document are very interesting and you will see some familiar names as well...

http://secretofflight.wordpress.com/trailing-edge/

One thing that is pretty well accepted is that it is better to have a square (we speak of % of chord value, if so much) than a rounded one (or even worse elongated like elliptic, and "pointy") for a control surface as it will give a crisper response. Most of the aerobatic full scale planes have such trailing edges.

Flutter on control surfaces can be linked to a lot of conditions/circumstances. I personally don't think that the shape of the trailing edge only can be a generator. But combined with other variables as balancing (aerodynamically and mechanically), quality and type of hinge setup, gap sealing (or not), control loop tightness (or not) and others, it may exacerbate a potential problem.
fnev is offline Find More Posts by fnev
Old Oct 15, 2014, 02:23 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,414 Posts
Yes Richard, but if you try to fly the flat foamies at higher speeds, if they were propped up for it, you'd find that those wide surfaces would flutter really well.

Or if you're talking about an outdoor faster model then I'm going to assume that such surfaces are made or otherwise chosen to be stiffer as required.

Quote:
Flutter on control surfaces can be linked to a lot of conditions/circumstances. I personally don't think that the shape of the trailing edge only can be a generator. But combined with other variables as balancing (aerodynamically and mechanically), quality and type of hinge setup, gap sealing (or not), control loop tightness (or not) and others, it may exacerbate a potential problem.
Well, flutter is a mechanical resonance. It's the same effect that causes a tone when we whistle, blow over a bottle opening or play a flute, try to build a symmetrical stayed bridge over Tacoma Narrows or any number of other things. So yes, it all has to come together just right. Which would explain why some blunt surfaces don't want to flutter while others flutter easily.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 08:13 PM
Joined Oct 2007
6,983 Posts
I designed, built and flew stuf up to 45 pounds -160 cc engines etc- foamies are typically slow flyers by design.
I LOVE the new EPP molded and cut foam designs The 10% airfoils were common on the bigger models 12% on some but I liked the thinner stuff best .
flutter was more a result of surface rigidity and balance - (surface balance) we had to be careful. I have seen stabs ripped off in a split second ditto for ailerons
Resonance is a field I know quite well - from musical instruments to large commercial machinery . The fix for resonance is funny - you start by changing ---something.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 04:06 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,808 Posts
Or by tuning it out, once you know what the precise harmonic is. The Stockbridge damper is a good example of that approach ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockbridge_damper ). I think that the leading edge counterweights for control surfaces also contribute to dampen out flutter by tuning out resonance.
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano