Closed Thread
Old Apr 07, 2004, 10:51 AM
I gotta stage 5 clinger..
Door County
Joined Feb 2002
197 Posts
Question
Chicagoland Parkflying...

I am trying to find some other Parkflyers around chicago. I have visited a couple of club sites but they're mostly gas with one or at most 2 electrics. Let me know where you get together or a club that you know is more electric friendly. I have a few other flyers that would like to jump in also.
rcsheriff is offline Find More Posts by rcsheriff
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2004, 05:00 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Where are you located around? The field at 107th & LaGrange Road (Palos?) has some electric flyers. I fly there once & a while. We also fly indoors at the golf dome in Bensenville. It's open to flyers Thurs, Fri, & Sat nights from 11:00 p.m. to 1 a.m.
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old Apr 07, 2004, 05:45 PM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
As Sal mentioned 107th is pretty electric-friendly.

But, if I remember correctly, you live up by the Irving Park Road field, don't you?
I would suggest investing in a 10-ish cell size plane (e.g. Gary Wright's planes, Stephens' Cap 40E, etc.) and you'll be fine among the gas guys.

Mitch
Mitch G is offline Find More Posts by Mitch G
Old Apr 07, 2004, 06:02 PM
Stupid Gravity
alsip, ill
Joined Aug 2002
892 Posts
135th & Central

Don't know where you live but I fly in a local forest preserve, 135 th and Central ave (Crestwood, 1/4 mile north of 135th on Central) I usually have the field to myself, I am usually there on weekends early in the morning
WhiteCloud is online now Find More Posts by WhiteCloud
Old Apr 07, 2004, 06:07 PM
Tell that to George Zipp!
United States, IL, Inverness
Joined Oct 2000
1,819 Posts
I fly out in the Northwest suburbs: Dear Grove forest preserve in Palatine, and the field on Shoe Factory road in Hoffman Estates.
I don't know of any clubs that are electric only. In fact I rarely see any other electrics when I'm out. Sometimes a Zagi, but that's about it.
I'd like to get together with some other Chicagoland Ezone flyers sometime.

MIKE
mikeb33 is offline Find More Posts by mikeb33
Old Apr 07, 2004, 06:49 PM
jlk
Lifetime Beginner
Chicago & Tucson
Joined Sep 2001
638 Posts
I know there are a lot of guys in the Chicago area flying indoor electric in the winter, but I am not sure many of them fly electric outdoor. Anyway, like Sal said some of us fly electric at 107th & LaGrange road and the SAC club has an electric fly in every summer far out south off Central ave. Maybe it is time for an electric club or an informal monthly meeting in Chicago - maybe we could be a centralized place to meet say around Oakbrook. Anyone interested?

Jordan
jlk is offline Find More Posts by jlk
Old Apr 07, 2004, 08:52 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jlk
...Maybe it is time for an electric club or an informal monthly meeting in Chicago - maybe we could be a centralized place to meet say around Oakbrook. Anyone interested?

Jordan
I think Mitch tried to organize something a couple of summers ago but it fell through for lack of interest. Maybe it's time we try again...
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old Apr 07, 2004, 09:26 PM
Tell that to George Zipp!
United States, IL, Inverness
Joined Oct 2000
1,819 Posts
It would be nice to be around people that can appreciate a brushless single motor Twinjet(Monojet).
Oakbrook is a good middle, but can we fly there or just meet?

MIKE
mikeb33 is offline Find More Posts by mikeb33
Old Apr 07, 2004, 09:37 PM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
The SAC Electric Fly In is in September - usually the 2nd or 3rd Saturday of the month. I haven't seen a date for this year's event in their newsletter yet. But, someone usually posts to the Events forum a week or two beforehand. It is a very nice Chicago-area fly-in with everything from Slowsticks to 10-cell+ planes.

But, September is so far away ...

Mitch
Mitch G is offline Find More Posts by Mitch G
Old Apr 08, 2004, 12:40 AM
braidwood,il.
Joined Dec 2002
355 Posts
i live south of chicago and we fly anywhere we can get away with it.usually at the township building.it has a football size feild and a big parking lot. tom
tomlescal is offline Find More Posts by tomlescal
Old Apr 08, 2004, 08:43 AM
jlk
Lifetime Beginner
Chicago & Tucson
Joined Sep 2001
638 Posts
Before I read this thread Rick and I were discussing that Palos needs to have an electric fly in also. It is probably too late for this year but I will make sure we have one next year. I used to be very active in the club, so it may still be possible for this year especially if we just do an informal Sunday pulled together on E Zone and word of mouth or fliers at the hobby shops. If we do organize it AMA would be a requirement at our field.

Jordan
jlk is offline Find More Posts by jlk
Old Apr 08, 2004, 10:08 AM
I gotta stage 5 clinger..
Door County
Joined Feb 2002
197 Posts
I have alreadt been in contact with the AMA about a club. They have sent me the packet and I am speaking to someone about a field. BUT I need people before anything else can happen. I have a small display set up at Venture Hobbies in Wheeling for people to fill out interest cards. The last time I checked there where about 9 and nobody returned my emails so .... I will check the box again this weekend. PM me with your email and info.

I would really like to have some other flyers to get this offf the ground.
rcsheriff is offline Find More Posts by rcsheriff
Old Apr 08, 2004, 10:32 AM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,950 Posts
RCSheriff, are you in Chicago or the Suburbs? I fly with a few friends at several parks in Mt Prospect and Arlington Heights along with the Deer Grove AMA Field.

Pete
peterv is online now Find More Posts by peterv
Old Apr 08, 2004, 10:35 AM
Don't watch this...
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2003
5,583 Posts
I'm in guys.
I live in Marengo. Just South of the Wisco boarder...way West towards Rockford. I have a 600 acrea been feild I fly all by myself. I'd LOVE to fly ith somebody sometime.
I also stop by the Shoe Factory Rd site in Hoffman Estates...just to watch. They are not to freindly when I mention Electric. I'd love to show them what we have, but have not been inivited.

Rockford has a fly park.
Anybody is welcome to come to Marengo any day.
The Woddstock hobby shop owner has people come to his house on Sundays at noon...its closer to Belvideer.

There is a young guy that flys out of Wheeling. Get to a golf dome somewheres over there for indooor.

Keep my posted.
Coo
CooHead is offline Find More Posts by CooHead
Old Apr 08, 2004, 10:43 AM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,950 Posts
Hey Coo! Not that far from me, have to talk to some of the guys an plan a visit!

Pete
peterv is online now Find More Posts by peterv
Closed Thread