flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
Discussion
Powered Hang glider

Hi Guys,

I had a few projects in mind using my microlight wing and this is one of them,
the other will be none powered hangglider but that will be easy after this one.
it will be made scale once ive got it flying nice so pilots arms,head and 'sleeping bag' as I call it lol

its showing real promise and flies lovely in a straight line, super stable!
I have a few things to work on to get it steering nice though
the servos I had were too small so the servo arms too short and fragile,
also theyre a little underpowered but I knew that before I started, I just wanted to test it desperately so threw them on lol

it will steer when straight and level doing moderate banks but if it banks too much the servos couldn't get the weight to shift to the other side so just kept turning more until the inevitable happens
good news though is it crashes very well like the microlight,
infact even better because less inertia and no pod etc to break lol

It flies extremely slow and will lift out of your hand at brisk walking pace,
if a slight headwind it only takes a few steps!
it is much lighter than the trike so is alot more of a glider than this wing fitted with the trike which you would expect.

the hang point is exactly the same as with the trike, I just adjusted the point where the 'hangstrap' meets the pilots back to get the prop levelish,
when on the power the prop points slightly down but this doesn't seem to bother it and climbs nice,
could do with a slightly smaller prop to kill abit of thrust though as half throttle is more than enough!

so ill be fitting new larger servos in the next few days and itll be back out again for more testing

mark
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2014, 10:55 AM
The Gorge - Oregon USofA
Joined Sep 2006
153 Posts
Beautiful. Folding prop and it would be perfect.

Weight shift manuevering?
Twisted Sheets is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Sheets
Old May 21, 2014, 11:49 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
Thankyou,
yes weightshift manouvering just like my microlight
im eager to get it out and test it
just need a spare hour if I can find one!! Lol

mark
Old May 21, 2014, 07:57 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,751 Posts
Great project.
Yes the folding prop may be the way to go ...many years ago I used to make props for these machines {full size}
and the folding part was a simple rubber bungee cord.
Chris..
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old May 22, 2014, 12:54 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
Cheers chris,
Thats interesting mate have you got any pics or a small drawing?
I was wondering about making my own folding prop

I think its essential to be honest as I managed to catch the model on both flights
last night but if ever you wanted (or needed) to grass land its got a high probability of ripping a blade off,
You could make 'legs' at the back like the real ones have to keep tge prop off the floor and support weight of the engine but normally the pilots legs dangle on landing so would need something up front aswell,
Unfortunately all adding drag unless retractable

I suppose another way is wheels on corners of the 'a' frame like they do on some tandem hang gliders
Last edited by mark675; May 22, 2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old May 22, 2014, 01:15 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
Powered hang glider (3 min 37 sec)

Well last nights flight went very well considering just how dark it was!
The camera man did a great job as I nearly lost it myself a couple of times!

I was just so desperate to get it out and see what it flew like lol

well the good news is it flies!
Abit less good news is it didnt fly as I wanted it to and needs some setup,
This isnt a problem though and I know that its just the servo springs that need adjusting to move the pilot rearwards.

stability in a straight line was good when on the prop but when shut off it would dive, again this is due to the pilot being too far forwards.

The prop also needs changing after I hit a small bush that I didnt see on the first flight and crashed it lol
The blade was tweeked slightly so made abit of a noise!

anyway, enjoy this very dark video lol
You can make it out when it goes into the 'lighter' part of the sky

mark
Old May 22, 2014, 07:39 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
Vector thrust on the hang glider (0 min 11 sec)

vector thrust for 'rudder' weightshift for primary control
Old May 22, 2014, 03:46 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
Ok, i went out and tested the hang glider again when had a break in the rain for an hour!
unfortunately I went on my own so no video but was a good test session and learnt abit more about what needs adjusting.

I adjusted the springs to allow the weight to hang towards the rear more,
this flew slower and alot better but was 'pitchy' on the throttle and was bringing the wing angle up too much into wind and stalling,
To solve that I moved the hang point forwards about 10-15mm .. what a difference!! It would glide lovely and was very stable and controllable even with the fairly strong wind,
The wind would still get under it abit and pitch up but not as bad as before so im going to bring the hang point forwards abit more which should solve that

its getting there

mark
Old May 22, 2014, 07:38 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,751 Posts
That thrust system looks pretty good.....sorry cant help with any info on the bungee system....t'was a long time ago..all I can remember is that there was a central hub with pins to locate the two blades that had bungee rubber holding the whole assembly in a closed position...so that when the motor was running ,the spinning blades would open up .but I'm sure that a normal folding prop would be OK as long as you put it so the blades trailed when the motor stopped.
Your a smart lad.....I have confidence that you will work it out.
Chris...
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old May 23, 2014, 09:50 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
Lol!
thanks chris,
I understand what you mean about the folding prop, the centrifugal force spins the blades out and the bungee pulls them back together when that force is removed (motor stopped)
Ill have to have a look at making a hub for it.

The thrust system is very similar to what I have on my tricopter but turned 90 degrees lol
I dont know if u know anything about them but its used to lean the rear motor for yaw control, very simple.

looking forward to testing again but with the weather atm id be better off with a rc boat!

Mark
Old May 24, 2014, 08:37 AM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,279 Posts
..and my dear Mark just what is wrong with a boat ? You may just be the man we are looking for. I`m from the Boat Section and a chum and I have been wrestling with a problem that might interest you. A free-flight glider towed and launched by an R/C boat. After a few abortive attempts we concluded that the simplicity and cheapness of a free-flight Rogallo might be the solution. There are a few full-size examples , in Australia and USA, of weight-shift manned Rogallos but we don't have the luxury of R/C for the glider. Any thoughts ? The other chap is the author of the thread in the Boat Section entitled " New Foam Boat Build" by Circuitfxr in the Dock Talk section. I`m in Inverness-shire and chum is in Florida.
arrow5 is offline Find More Posts by arrow5
Last edited by arrow5; May 24, 2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old Jun 02, 2014, 02:09 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
yeah a rogallo wing maybe the answer,
there very stable so maybe give it a go? let me know what you need help with
Old Jun 02, 2014, 02:14 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
I managed to test it again last night,
after a few flights of being very roll unstable I adjusted the 'springs' and I had a good couple of lovely relaxing flights with good all round stability,
even managed to film whilst flying!

I still need to work on the gliding ability though,
it flies lovely when 'on the prop' but when shut off it does have abit of a nose down attitude and dive,
meant to be good weather this week so I will work on this

one thing I did notice is after some of the bumps the crossbar has worked its way forwards and increased the billow in the sail so I will tighten this back up for the next flight which should reduce drag.

Rc Powered hang glider (0 min 37 sec)

Rc Powered hang glider 2 (0 min 23 sec)

mark
Old Aug 07, 2014, 07:15 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
just a thought,because the motor is not on the thrust line ,to be stable under power the cg needs to be nose heavy .gliders like to be neutral and some like to be a tiny bit tail heavy.seems to me a throttle mix to move cg forward in(power mode) and aft in(glide mode) correcting for thrust should be effective
scootin127 is offline Find More Posts by scootin127
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:41 PM
Wildlife Artist / RC Designer
Joined Jun 2014
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark675 View Post
Hi Guys,

I had a few projects in mind using my microlight wing and this is one of them,
the other will be none powered hangglider but that will be easy after this one.
it will be made scale once ive got it flying nice so pilots arms,head and 'sleeping bag' as I call it lol

its showing real promise and flies lovely in a straight line, super stable!
I have a few things to work on to get it steering nice though
the servos I had were too small so the servo arms too short and fragile,
also theyre a little underpowered but I knew that before I started, I just wanted to test it desperately so threw them on lol

it will steer when straight and level doing moderate banks but if it banks too much the servos couldn't get the weight to shift to the other side so just kept turning more until the inevitable happens
good news though is it crashes very well like the microlight,
infact even better because less inertia and no pod etc to break lol

It flies extremely slow and will lift out of your hand at brisk walking pace,
if a slight headwind it only takes a few steps!
it is much lighter than the trike so is alot more of a glider than this wing fitted with the trike which you would expect.

the hang point is exactly the same as with the trike, I just adjusted the point where the 'hangstrap' meets the pilots back to get the prop levelish,
when on the power the prop points slightly down but this doesn't seem to bother it and climbs nice,
could do with a slightly smaller prop to kill abit of thrust though as half throttle is more than enough!

so ill be fitting new larger servos in the next few days and itll be back out again for more testing

mark
Very cool hang glider. I'd Love to see some close up photos. Suddenly I want to dig my old one out again. Lol. Thanks for sharing.

- DaVinci's Brainchild
DaVinciBrainchld is online now Find More Posts by DaVinciBrainchld