SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 27, 2014, 02:48 PM
Coldwater, MI
Joined Aug 2007
31 Posts
Discussion
Dumb nano question

I switched to an XPS module on my A9 two years ago, and have been buying nano's ever since. Currently running two nano's (master/slave) in my 50cc planes. This was strictly to get the servo outputs (and its nice to have the redundancy in case of shadowing).

However I'm wondering how many channels the nano is actually able to receive? I'm just now learning about the X10, and I see that with a firmware update the nano's can output a serial signal to the X10 and I can drive my servos from there. But is nano limited to 6 channels because thats all the servo connections it has or is it similar to the RFU in that it doesn't matter because the servo connections can be made at the X10? I understand that the RFU provides better signal quality, but I already have several nano's still sitting NIB.

TLDR - can the nano output more than 6 channels to the X10?
skycarcass is offline Find More Posts by skycarcass
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2014, 03:48 PM
Launceston Arpt, Tasmania, Australia
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycarcass View Post
I switched to an XPS module on my A9 two years ago, and have been buying nano's ever since. Currently running two nano's (master/slave) in my 50cc planes. This was strictly to get the servo outputs (and its nice to have the redundancy in case of shadowing).

However I'm wondering how many channels the nano is actually able to receive? I'm just now learning about the X10, and I see that with a firmware update the nano's can output a serial signal to the X10 and I can drive my servos from there. But is nano limited to 6 channels because thats all the servo connections it has or is it similar to the RFU in that it doesn't matter because the servo connections can be made at the X10? I understand that the RFU provides better signal quality, but I already have several nano's still sitting NIB.

TLDR - can the nano output more than 6 channels to the X10?
from my understanding, the nano passes the tx data through to the X10.
If you send 10 channels worth, that is what the X10 gets.
The data is just imbedded in the nano to X10 communication protocol.
E_ferret is offline Find More Posts by E_ferret
Old Feb 27, 2014, 05:18 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,884 Posts
Correct! The Nano can send as many channels as your transmitter can output - so, 2 to 128 technically, By the way, using dual Nanos as master/slave DOES NOT give you redundancy. It gives you two receivers, each controlling it's own servos. You CAN have redundancy with the new firmware update for the X10+. This update lets you use two nanos in master/slave mode, both outputting the Xtreme protocol with one receiver connected to the X10+'s main input and the other receiver connected to the Aux port. In this configuration, the receiver with the most recent packet will be the one used for that frame of data.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 18, 2014, 08:35 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2009
56 Posts
Well, it’s question time again, this time I have three.

My current build is an Avro Tutor; the front fuselage is covered in metal. I would like to put the Nano in the top wing center section. To do that the wire connecting the Nano to the X-10 will be covered with black heat shrink and run up the outside of one of the aluminum cabane struts. Am I going to get interference from the metal strut by doing that?

On some biplanes the ailerons are only on the top wing. When using the 8 channel receivers, to avoid having wires coming down the cabane struts to the receiver in the fuselage I used one receiver in the fuselage to control the Throttle, Choke, Rudder and Elevator and a second Slave receiver in the top wing center section, powered by its own battery, to control the Ailerons. Now the 8 channel receivers are history how would I do that using the X-10 and Nano receivers?

And lastly and this might be the dumbest one: All of the old type 2.4 receivers connected wirelessly with Transmitter. The X-10 connects wirelessly with Transmitter. Why can’t the Nano also connect wirelessly with the X-10/Transmitter? I suppose that using a wired connection reduces the possibility of interference between the X-10 and the Nano but just wondered if such a wireless connection is possible, and if so, why not?
AlanDY is offline Find More Posts by AlanDY
Old Mar 18, 2014, 09:39 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,188 Posts
1. the wire will be fine running inside the strut

2. can still do it in the same fashion, bind a Nano as a slave and go for it. if you have sufficient power hookup to the Nano in the top wing, you could even have it provide the signal to the X10+ down in the fuselage, and just connect the top wing aileron servos connect to the Nano.

3. X10+ has no ability to connect to anything wirelessly, it's devoid of RF components. It needs a serial link to program, and needs a wire from a signal receiver (Nano or RFU).
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:43 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,884 Posts
Correct!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2014, 06:03 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2009
56 Posts
"2. can still do it in the same fashion, bind a Nano as a slave and go for it. if you have sufficient power hookup to the Nano in the top wing, you could even have it provide the signal to the X10+ down in the fuselage, and just connect the top wing aileron servos connect to the Nano."

Not sure I understand. Wouldn't that require a wire from the Nano in the top wing to the X--10 in the fuselage? That is what I was trying to avoid.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 09:59 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2009
56 Posts
I want to clarify my reply above. I understand that I could set up a Nano as a slave receiver and power it with a separate battery all located in the top wing center section and use that to drive the aileron servos. What I don't understand is the reference to if having enough power to connect with X-10 without a wired connection to the X-10.

Sure I am missing something but not sure what. Thanks for your patience.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:55 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,188 Posts
from your post, specifically the part about the signal wire to the X10+ running past the cabane strut... it seemed like you were going to put an X10+ in the fuselage, and use a Nano to receive the signal for the X10+... and that due to the metal of the fuselage the Nano will be mounted in the top wing for reception purposes but also to simply connect the top wing's aileron servos.

power was only brought up simply to make sure not to bottleneck power to the servos. But if you have batteries in the top wing, and if the Nano in the top wing is separate and a slave, that will be fine.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:24 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,884 Posts
If you put the Nano in the top wing, it can drive the signal to the X10+ in the fuse! and also drive the servos in the wings from the Nano itself. This is called "mixed mode".
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2014, 09:25 PM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,705 Posts
Alan,

You could set up the biplane with two nanos set up as master and slave - one nano in the fuse with its own power and another in the top wing with its own power for the aileron servos. This way there would be no wires between the top wing and the fuse. An X10 is not required for this type of application.

I did something similar with a big Four Star 120 with flaps - one nano in the wing takes care of ailerons and flaps, another nano in the fuse takes care of rudder, elevator, and throttle.

Paul
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Old Mar 20, 2014, 07:12 PM
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW View Post
Alan,

You could set up the biplane with two nanos set up as master and slave - one nano in the fuse with its own power and another in the top wing with its own power for the aileron servos. This way there would be no wires between the top wing and the fuse. An X10 is not required for this type of application.

I did something similar with a big Four Star 120 with flaps - one nano in the wing takes care of ailerons and flaps, another nano in the fuse takes care of rudder, elevator, and throttle.

Paul
he mentioned that he has a lot of metal in the fuzz. so best to have RFU or nano(s) in top wing and X10 in fuzz.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 08:19 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2009
56 Posts
On my current project I am using an X-10 in the fuselage and channels 1 through 7 are used plugged into the X-10. I am using a Futaba 10 channel Transmitter with the Xtreme link module.
The Nano is in the top wing center section with no servos connected to it.

The aircraft has leading edge slats on each of the top wings and I will probably have them non operational BUT, here is the question:

Channels 8, 9, and 10 are unused, could the Nano be used to operate two servos on any of those channels to operate the slats?
I would set them up using the "Offset" as the master to be able to get just the right amount of movement on each servo.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 09:33 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,884 Posts
Yes, you can use the Nano in "mixed" output mode. This is where output port 6 is connected to the X10+ and output ports 1-5 can be normal servo outputs, with all of the standard programmability (channel, offset, reverse).
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2014, 05:04 PM
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Yes, you can use the Nano in "mixed" output mode. This is where output port 6 is connected to the X10+ and output ports 1-5 can be normal servo outputs, with all of the standard programmability (channel, offset, reverse).
only problem is that the supply for all the top wing servos will go through one single wire/connectors set.