HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:47 AM
Joined Jul 2012
163 Posts
Doc, I suspect you are right on about the elevator. When I first started with the Extra, I ran full throw with 30% expo like I would on a foamie. The elevator seemed too violent/ sensitive and it would pitch nose up so fast on me that I suspected it caused a stall, hence the feeling it wanted to drop out on me. I eventually put it on low rates with 100% expo, and you are probably right in suggesting it became rather useless at that point. (this is only during slow speed high alpha) I am thinking it was probably my over active thumb the whole time (being used to the foamies) Lesson learned I hope.
markl22 is offline Find More Posts by markl22
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:20 AM
Joined Jul 2012
163 Posts
PS: Please don't think I was knocking the Extra or anything. My purpose here was to comment on how great a plane the Yak is. Well done.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:32 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl22 View Post
PS: Please don't think I was knocking the Extra or anything.
I didn't think that. Everyone is allowed to have their favorites!

That, and I love the Yak too, which is why I was first in line to get a 60".

Quote:
My purpose here was to comment on how great a plane the Yak is.
Have you got a 60" Yak coming? I think that one is going to be really good. From the videos I can tell it is going to be an exciting performer. Can't wait.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:52 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,010 Posts
Quote:
Doc, I suspect you are right on about the elevator. When I first started with the Extra, I ran full throw with 30% expo like I would on a foamie.
I think foamies are so flexible that this dampens control response and that's why you don't need as much expo. They seem to have built in expo!

Quote:
The elevator seemed too violent/ sensitive and it would pitch nose up so fast on me that I suspected it caused a stall, hence the feeling it wanted to drop out on me.
What happens with the elevator past 60 degrees or so is that the elevator still has authority well past when the other controls are stalled. In this condition it is easy to overpitch the airplane and dump whatever lift is still on the wings. If you are a newer 3D pilot, this can surprise you, as it did with me on my first EXP.

As such, I recommend a middle rate with full controls, but the elevator dialed back to 55-60 degrees. Use the mid ratre for 3D and flying around, and use the high (insane) rate really violent stuff like snaps, spins, tumbles, pop tops, and blenders.

Quote:
I eventually put it on low rates with 100% expo, and you are probably right in suggesting it became rather useless at that point.
Wow. 100% expo is way too much. The elevator would be like a light switch!

Please forgive me if this sounds like I am beating you over the head with a hammer, but I can't empathize enough how well the manual set up works. Give that a try with the mid rate I suggested and I think you'll have better success with all your planes.

In fact, you have the perfect plane to experiment with, and that's your beater Extra. Since the plane is a bit of a struggle for you, you will instantly be able to see the improvement.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 01:26 PM
Joined Jul 2012
163 Posts
You've really got me re-thinking expo now. Ignorant for me to assume the same settings I use on the foamies should apply to these planes. I must admit to not paying much attention to what the manual settings suggested.

The Edge will be here by the weekend, and I will be more diligent about following directions this time.

Thanks again Doc.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 02:27 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,010 Posts
Quote:
The Edge will be here by the weekend, and I will be more diligent about following directions this time.
I suggest you try the manual set up on the Extra first, because you have a few days to do it and get used to it. If you fly the Extra with the manual set up, you will have a better idea what to expect from the Edge. It's going to be different and it's always a lot less scary to try something different on the beater. Save that new plane until you are convinced the manual set up is the way to go.

Please don't think I am being overbearing or preachy, but I'm just being overbearing and preachy!
Old Oct 14, 2014, 02:41 PM
Joined Jul 2012
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
I suggest you try the manual set up on the Extra first, because you have a few days to do it and get used to it. If you fly the Extra with the manual set up, you will have a better idea what to expect from the Edge. It's going to be different and it's always a lot less scary to try something different on the beater. Save that new plane until you are convinced the manual set up is the way to go.

Please don't think I am being overbearing or preachy, but I'm just being overbearing and preachy!

All I think is, you are the teacher. thanks.
Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM
Germany, BW, Weinheim
Joined Sep 2012
385 Posts
@DocAustin

I noticed from the photos, that between the spinner and the fuselage of your Yak is quite a gap. I have the same problem, because I can't put the cowling more forward.

It looks a bit weird, but it's better than without a spinner.
FloBau is offline Find More Posts by FloBau
Old Yesterday, 07:00 AM
Honeybadger don't care...
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,774 Posts
Mine is the same, but I am now accustomed to it and like it.
Luv3d is online now Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,558 Posts
The larger-than-you-might-like-visually spinner gap on the EF Yaks is by design.
Something about prop efficiency.
I imagine Chris spent quite some time coming to that decision, even knowing that some wouldn't like it.

The proof is in the flying, right? I doubt you'll find any better flying Yaks than Extreme Flight
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM
Germany, BW, Weinheim
Joined Sep 2012
385 Posts
It's not really a problem for me, but it's good to know, that I'm not the only one with the gap.

On the Extra I do not have a spinner and it doesn't bother me at all. But a Yak needs a spinner.
FloBau is offline Find More Posts by FloBau
Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Feb 2004
2,334 Posts
The gap is indeed intentional. It follows the form of the full scale Yak-54.
EXTREME FLIGHT is offline Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Site Sponsor
Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM
Honeybadger don't care...
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,774 Posts
Exceptional!
Thanks Chris!
Luv3d is online now Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,010 Posts
Man, the EXP is sure better looking than the real one.
Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Man, the EXP is sure better looking than the real one.
That's a tiny black and white shot! I have this as one of my screen saver photos:
https://flic.kr/p/9LFUQo

Pretty nice color scheme too.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen