HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:03 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2009
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E_ferret View Post
in that case the ultimate power solution is to connect one battery directly to each servo, bypassing the receiver connection. you still need to have a connection from the receiver to each servo passing the ground and the signal wires only, not the positive. actually, you can leave the positive in, you then have each positive feeding the receiver, should be enough amperage to drive that power hungry receiver.
I considered doing that but rejected it. Too complicated. I am going to stay with what I have now and wait for the 10 channel expander.
AlanDY is offline Find More Posts by AlanDY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:20 AM
Philippines
Joined Oct 2011
33 Posts
I just read the whole thread from page one! Lols!

Hi Jim,

First of all, congratulations for being able to sort out the company issues. I've heard a lot of good things about your products that I just bought a used Futaba 3pk in preparation to switch from my current system to XPS. However, after reading the whole thread, I only see plane stuff. I run boats and I want to ask if you have plans of making a marine specific receivers or at least waterproof Nano's for marine application? I'm currently using a marine receiver and a marine compatible tx. I never had any issues so far but a lot of boaters are not so lucky with this system. I don't want to wait till my luck runs out. That's why I bought a Futaba 3pk so I can switch to XPS. So, a marine specific receiver or at least a waterproof version of the Nanos will be a great news for us boat guys. I know rc boating is probably the smallest population in this hobby but, I hope you'll at least consider it. Thanks!

Stephen
tagasagwan is offline Find More Posts by tagasagwan
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:39 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,884 Posts
About 1/2 of the drivers in NAMBA run our radio system. No special receivers are required. You can even use the Nano in the radio box. If the receivers get wet, just air dry them. DO NOT use any type of anti-corrosion spray on our electronics as these tend to dissolve the conformal coating (water proofing) that each receiver has.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:39 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,949 Posts
A friend of mine flies float planes and came up with the following solution for his Nano receivers after drowning a few: He plugs in all the wires (including a pigtail for binding), sprays the RX with a light coat of silicone spray, and then dips the whole mess in Plasti Dip. The silicone spray keeps the PlastiDip from binding to the RX so it apparently comes off with a minimum amount of effort.

My personal opinion is water could wick under the Plasti Dip where the servo wires exit the encapsulation and you'd never know it until the RX started acting up, but he's been using this method for a few years and he claims that he's never had a RX go bad on him.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:00 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,884 Posts
DO NOT EVER put any type of plastic material around the Nano antenna wires! The range can be reduced to nearly nothing if you do! Some plastics have a capacitive property and will change the antenna tuning! Remember, the board itself is part of the antenna tuning, so it is critical that you don't put any plastic, tape, etc. over the edge of the board where the antenna wires are located. If you are concerned about getting it wet, use a balloon and poke two holes for the antenna wires and put the receiver inside of the balloon. Let the wires pass out of the normal opening for the balloon and tie it off to prevent water from entering. Balloons do not have capacitive properties and work great for protecting the Nano.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:45 PM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,705 Posts
How about Blenderm tape? In some of my installations I use a strip of 1" wide Blenderm tape to cover the antenna wires mostly to protect them from flapping around in the slipstream.
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:01 PM
Philippines
Joined Oct 2011
33 Posts
Hi Jim,

I also heard that a lot of namba racers use XPS on races because of it's reliability. It's good to know that the nano's have conformal coating. Sometimes I spray clear coating from rattle cans to waterproof my external BEC and so far it works. Do you think it will work with the NANO's? I'm just wondering, how about covering the nano board with a resin like material like what they use on fiberglass. I know of a esc manufacturer from the UK that uses this technique and claim their products are 100% waterproof. I use a couple of them on my Crawlers and submerged them in water. So far they still works after more than 3 years of use. I'm not saying you should do it too, but I just want to know if that will affect the nanos if ever I coat them with clear-coat spray or resin?
Last edited by tagasagwan; Jan 20, 2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:10 AM
Launceston Arpt, Tasmania, Australia
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagasagwan View Post
Hi Jim,

I also heard that a lot of namba racers use XPS on races because of it's reliability. It's good to know that the nano's have conformal coating. Sometimes I spray clear coating from rattle cans to waterproof my external BEC and so far it works. Do you think it will work with the NANO's? I'm just wondering, how about covering the nano board with a resin like material like what they use on fiberglass. I know of a esc manufacturer from the UK that uses this technique and claim their products are 100% waterproof. I use a couple of them on my Crawlers and submerged them in water. So far they still works after more than 3 years of use. I'm not saying you should do it too, but I just want to know if that will affect the nanos if ever I coat them with clear-coat spray or resin?
there are some industrial use flexible sealants available that may be what you are
looking for.
eg. Tempflex 5145 from Loctite or RTV 1070 from Ambersil
E_ferret is offline Find More Posts by E_ferret
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:07 AM
Philippines
Joined Oct 2011
33 Posts
@E_ferret. I will look into these products. I doubt if they are available in the Philippines though. Thanks mate!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:32 AM
Brandon, MS
Joined May 2006
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
DO NOT EVER put any type of plastic material around the Nano antenna wires! The range can be reduced to nearly nothing if you do! .

So, you are saying that taping down the Nano antenna wires is not a good thing. I have been mounting my Nanos on a T shaped board with electrical tape (see attached picture). I will change this ASAP in all my planes.
jblloyd is offline Find More Posts by jblloyd
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:36 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW View Post
How about Blenderm tape? In some of my installations I use a strip of 1" wide Blenderm tape to cover the antenna wires mostly to protect them from flapping around in the slipstream.
Blenderm is fine. ShoeGoo, black electrical tape, and other types of plastic reduce the range. Since most people don't actually range test anything, I have to give these types of warnings! You would find out during a range test if there was a problem with something covering the board.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:38 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,884 Posts
Quote:
Hi Jim,

The Nanos work under water as they are. The NAMBA president put one in a glass of water at one of their local club meetings to show how well the water proofing works.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:40 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblloyd View Post
So, you are saying that taping down the Nano antenna wires is not a good thing. I have been mounting my Nanos on a T shaped board with electrical tape (see attached picture). I will change this ASAP in all my planes.
The way you have it is probably fine because you are taping the antenna wires themselves. The critical part is actually between the two antenna wires. That is where the magic tuning is done. If it range checks ok, then it is fine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:43 PM
Launceston Arpt, Tasmania, Australia
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
@E_ferret. I will look into these products. I doubt if they are available in the Philippines though. Thanks mate!
try this place, they are the agents for farnell/newark. these two products are part of the farnell catalogue.

appointed the following distributor for your country:
Access Frontier Technologies, Inc.
702 Greenbelt Mansion,
106 Perea Street
Legaspi Village,
Makati City
Philippines
Tel: +63 (2) 892 3883
Fax: +63 (2) 892 3882
Email: sales@afti.com.ph
E_ferret is offline Find More Posts by E_ferret
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:45 PM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,705 Posts
Jim,

Thanks for the info on tapes versus radio range. It's good to continue learning new things about this technology.

Paul
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW