SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:37 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,453 Posts
Discussion
Any recommendations for video camera?

Looking for recommendations for a good value video camera for videoing at the flying field.

Ideally: not expensive, good image quality, 1080p, tri-pod mountable, light weight and small but large and heavy enough to get steady images while hand held.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:48 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
define inexpensive
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:53 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,453 Posts
inexpensive Reasonable in price compared to the competition and in light of the features.

Or, provides a good value for the money while leaving room to buy another plane.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:45 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
any canon PS will do but spend the cash and get the go pro

Extreme flight MXS 5s on motrofly 2820 600kv 01 (9 min 6 sec)

its just so easy and nice to have
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,453 Posts
Thanks stgdz,

I have a gopro, and use it to film myself when I am flying, but I am looking for something better to film others. Something that can do wide angle, and zoom (I can zoom in video editing if I use the gopro, but lose resolution).

The point and shots I've tried either don't zoom, or make an annoying noise while zooming, and don't pan very well because of their size.
Last edited by 7oneWo1f; Apr 27, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 04:39 PM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
1,938 Posts
Some DSCs will get close to the same quality HD as good Handycams. Something like the Nikon S9100, sony HX9V or even Olympus SZ-10. I mention these three because they all have big 16x+ optical zoom and Cmos sensors, as well as some big apertures (so you're not compromising the image quality as much in lower light). The HX9V will probably get you the best video, closely followed by the S9100. Saying that, both take awesome photos when you want them to as well. Both are AVCHD (I think HX9V may be AVCHD 2.0). I use the Sony Nex-5N for videoing now. Sony really know what they're doing in this field. Otherwise, I think a JVC handycam is often good value for money. Most have super-lolux built in which is great again for those 'twilight' shoots.
maiden-crash is offline Find More Posts by maiden-crash
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,453 Posts
Thanks Maiden. You just reminded me of something. Are there any good handycams that have a hood for the lens? I know from still photography that can help out a great deal in image quality outdoors.

Otherwise, there is a DSC-HX10V out now. I wonder if that is as good or better when it comes to video.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:31 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
you really may just have to bite the bullet and get a used d80 if you are looking for lenses. It does 1080p recording

Not sure if I can make it down this weekend, sick kid here, the wind isn't fun. Was going to take the vanq out tonight but its way to windy.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:44 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,721 Posts
Any of the sony or canon handy cams are great. I personally love the HV series however they are tape based so a bit out of date if your looking for cheap go here: http://www.mustek.com/onlinestore/pr...roducts_id/309
I shoot pro, so i'd really recommend something worth the money though. It is just like rc you get what you pay for. Now if you get a dslr, just remember, the depth of field will be super shallow making it difficult to follow action zoomed in.
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Apr 28, 2012, 02:55 AM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
1,938 Posts
Yep, SLR won't be a great option. Something with translucent mirroring will be better, in line with Sony Alphas or Pen cameras. They will have far less difficulty with autofocus, and will process the image quicker and not get choppy if you're panning quickly. I haven't seen the HX10V yet, I dare say it will be an improvement, but you never know. I've played with the HX9V a lot, but don't own one. It's superb.
maiden-crash is offline Find More Posts by maiden-crash
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Nov 2008
221 Posts
I shoot and edit video professionally

The Reflex Films Australia Showreel - 2012 (3 min 18 sec)

I highly reccomend this one: - a traditional video camera

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/...idProduct=3400

its well priced and will do 1080 p at 50 or 60 frames (which can be conformed to beautiful slo mo in a 25 / 24 or 30 p timeline)

This will give you this sort of look

Extra MX - Beyond the MAX (11 min 20 sec)

Go pros are no good as your only cam as they are simply too wide angle and your audience wont feel what is going on mid flight as the action is too far away.

They are great for onboard action - you can generally get one on any well powered model heavier than about 800grams

A go Pro Extra 260 Video (3 min 29 sec)

and go pros can get tricky angles like this

SUP Magic (4 min 4 sec)

I wouldnt recommend DSLR for action shooting (although i use one - but it makes me dance on all the controls)

DSLR will give you the depth of field you tell it to - depending on what aperture you choose to shoot at - F16 or f .095

so the shallow DOF (awesome fro close ups of the model on the table) option is there but you control the image and can go for everything in focus too

ALways try and shoot at shutter speed = double your frame rate - so if you are shooting 30 p - your sutter speed should be 1/60

too many DSLR operators try and control light by bumping up the shutter speed - this gives that choppy look as there isnt correct motion blur to belnd from one frame to the next. - better to set the camera shutter speed - and then control your light via a fader nd and using the histogram for best exposure / dynamic range - if all this sounds like gobbledeegook - then welcome to the world of shooting video on DSLRS

(go faster on your shutter speed - up to 1/250 or even 1/500 if you are planning to Twixtor on your footage or use final cut x optical flow for 5 - 10 times slow motion)

Hope this post gives you some ideas moving forward
Reflex Films is offline Find More Posts by Reflex Films
Last edited by Reflex Films; Apr 28, 2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:25 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,453 Posts
Thanks Rflex. That one you recommend is discontinued in the U.S. What about V500M
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:49 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,932 Posts
Go for the V700. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Camcorder.html It's the top of the Panasonic consumer line. Add your own SD cards to it, or else get the V700M which has some built-in memory but the cost of the built-in memory is high compared to getting your own cards. According to reviews the V700 gives noticeably sharper results than the V500. Oh, and the V700 has a 28mm (35mm film equivalent) wide end. I can't remember what the V500 has but think it's 35mm. For shooting plane you'll mostly be at 35 or more, but if you use the camera for other things I am sure you'll find the 28mm wide end comes in handy now and then without the cost and hassle of fitting a wide angle adapter.
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:11 AM
Joined Nov 2008
221 Posts
wide angle is really nice to have for close up shots of your plane - you can get wide angle adaptors for these cameras - they just screw on the front.

Those pannys are amazing value for money 1080/ 60p at that price is brilliant !!

just to confuse things even more:

another option that is a surprisingly good al rounder for video and stills is the Canon S100 - its a little point and shoot but widely regarded as the best point and shoot you can buy these days - even pros like these for video and photography

the video quality is really nice - and it can almost match a big dslr for all round performance and image control (its built in lens is a fast f2.0)
Reflex Films is offline Find More Posts by Reflex Films
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:48 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,721 Posts
I'm fan of gopro. Always have a couple ready to go:

Shorebreak (2 min 22 sec)

Beach Fun (1 min 12 sec)

Swim Angle (2 min 32 sec)

DJI Flame Wheel 450 w/Naza and Gopro (2 min 50 sec)

They match up real well with dslr footage if you decide to go with a t2i or something.

The Dark Esquire "Lexicons" Official Music Video (4 min 53 sec)

As far as the panasonics go, you'll get a bigger sensor with the V700. so it should perform a bit better in certain low light conditions and more data is always nicer. there doesn't seem to be a big price diff over the v500. if you want to save go with this one. It has the same sensor the v500 does at less than half the price: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Camcorder.html
Wingbreaker is online now Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Last edited by Wingbreaker; Apr 29, 2012 at 01:01 PM.