HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:49 PM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilp View Post
But regarding the most efficient running voltage: If a passive regulator turns excess voltage to heat, should we all aim at a battery that's a little above 6volt when flat?
Yes, higher voltage just means more weight, volume and heat.

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:27 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
O.K., so the weather is "off topic:" how about narrowly defining the scope of "the topic?"
Read post #1. This thread is to discuss features of the transmitter.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:28 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balesse View Post
If I remember correctly it will support touch screen as well, correct? So does it use the same screens for touch screen as it does for non-touch screen?
Yes, the code is setup to handle touch screen inputs - like the A9.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:29 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilp View Post
Jim, apologies for not communicating my question clearly in the post you deleted. I'll try to get it right this time:
Looking at various battery options for this transmitter. What is the most efficient voltage to run it at (I understand fully the consumption is very low at any voltage)
Thanks
6v is the most efficient, but I have always used a 2S Lipo during development.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Sep 2011
96 Posts
Programming

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Yes, the code is setup to handle touch screen inputs - like the A9.
Jim, will we be able to choose between touch and non-touch color screens? Also, you have said you be able to choose the type format programming i.e., Futaba, Spetkrum, etc., does that include the Ace MicroPro 8000? I love how the MP8K programs. I appreciate the way you are building the new transmitter and taking the time to GET IT RIGHT the first time so there won't be any problems after it hits the market. I have 8 Nano receivers for my MP8K and not had a single problem. Keep after it, I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks in advance for a great radio. Patiently waiting, Tim
xfedex is offline Find More Posts by xfedex
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:07 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2006
353 Posts
I don't know how many of you have worked with touch screens on a transmitter, aka 14MZ but I don't like it. I have found that having the correct buttons (non-touch) is much quicker to setup any aircraft.

The reason for so many touch screens, I believe, is that it is cheaper to cut out the switches. Also, in the case of a telephone, you can make the screen bigger since you don't have enough real estate.

But in the case of our transmitters I much prefer switches. The 12Z and 12FG have pretty good setups. The 8FG does not since it has a touch wheel that is a pain to use. Also, you can accidentally touch it with the palm of your hand while flying and activate it. New is not always better. I want switches and buttons.
skubacb is offline Find More Posts by skubacb
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:24 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Dec 2005
189 Posts
I agree on touch-wheel - I have one on a battery charger and it is a PITA to use
j_whitney is offline Find More Posts by j_whitney
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:25 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfedex View Post
Jim, will we be able to choose between touch and non-touch color screens? Also, you have said you be able to choose the type format programming i.e., Futaba, Spetkrum, etc., does that include the Ace MicroPro 8000? I love how the MP8K programs. I appreciate the way you are building the new transmitter and taking the time to GET IT RIGHT the first time so there won't be any problems after it hits the market. I have 8 Nano receivers for my MP8K and not had a single problem. Keep after it, I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks in advance for a great radio. Patiently waiting, Tim
No color support, but that is just a module for the LCD type.

There is no type of programming format that is selectable. The only reference to an existing transmitter is how the servo channel names/positions and stick defaults are. The transmitter has its own unique programming. You can see screen shots of how this works in this thread.

I agree... I don't like touch screens either.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:13 PM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2005
781 Posts
Hmm, I really like the touch screen on the A9. If you were doing a speed test against someone that knows the system I don't think the touch screen would be any faster. But if you just handed a radio to someone that knows the basics of RC I think they would find it easier to setup a tx like the A9 (never used the 14mz, so I can't compare to that). I've also found the touch screen to be easier to explore around and figure out with out having to head back to the manual. And I do like having the extra real estate on the screen to show different sorts of things.
balesse is offline Find More Posts by balesse
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:11 AM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2006
353 Posts
I should have included the A9 screen in the not likes too. Yes, I have used it to setup planes also. While the A9 is much better than the 14MZ it is still not as quick as a good stick and button setup.

Simple reason for me is that you have to continue to move your finger around the screen. It is quicker and easier to leave your fingers in one place and simply focus your eyes on the part of the screen you want to change.

You are also less likely to overshoot with good switches. I find that I often overshoot the value that I want when using the A9.

Finally, every time you put your finger on the screen you are blocking your view of the screen. That slows you down too. Not touching exactly on the correct place slows you down. There are just too many issues. On a phone no switches are nice so you can slip it into your pocket.

Even if Jim makes a transmitter that small I am not going to put it in my pocket. ;-)
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:21 PM
Israel, Jerusalem
Joined May 2007
141 Posts
I have a JR10X and an A9, and both have touch screens, and once you know your radio, there is nothing more convenient. I find all the other alternative awkward to use, but this is a personal taste and to each his own :-)
S_YORAM1@BEZEQIN is offline Find More Posts by S_YORAM1@BEZEQIN
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:02 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_YORAM1@BEZEQIN View Post
I have a JR10X and an A9, and both have touch screens, and once you know your radio, there is nothing more convenient. I find all the other alternative awkward to use, but this is a personal taste and to each his own :-)
agreed,touchscreen rawks! Love my A9.Plan on getting the xps board for it when it ever hits. If it ever hits.Good to know tho it will be touchscreen ready tho.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:18 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2006
353 Posts
I know these radios very well and do setups for many people.

Worked to do a setup in electronic warfare. We found that for some things such as choosing a spot on a map it was much faster to have the touch screen. For forms and data entry it was not.

This does not mean that even though it may be less efficient that some people will not prefer it.

Another very helpful item is color. Much easier to find what you want on a screen with specific colors. Would really enjoy the XL system with a color screen, which I guess is coming to our door soon?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:16 PM
Bazz
Swift Current, SK. Canada
Joined May 2007
85 Posts
I like the colour screens ok as long as they don't wash out in daylight like my iPhone. I would prefer a paper white screen with black lettering/symbols that displays the same in sunlight (which is when I fly). I don't like the green LCD screens with poor contrast lettering that almost disappear in daylight.
Bazz is offline Find More Posts by Bazz
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:04 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
620 Posts
Screens

The screen on my Kindle, the old one not the color version, is great in sunlight. I wonder if they are available for OEMs? That would be the best solution I think.

Iain
rev.iain is offline Find More Posts by rev.iain
Closed Thread