HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:33 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Though the short coupling will effect flight performance, more in precision than Tumbling, it should not make the plane unfyable. Look at all the Pro Bro 3D/fun fly planes. Very deep cord and short coupled.

Light motor and extra servos in the tail concerned me from the beginning. an extra 2oz in the tail takes 5 or 6 oz in the nose, and if you are adding weight near the CG even more. a light motor will make it worse.

Hard to make a conclusion based on how far from spec this went.

I would keep the wing, take a servo out of the tail and use a heavier motor. May still be tail heavy but should be much closer. Untill some one does this I would reserve opinion.
dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:00 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post

Light motor and extra servos in the tail concerned me from the beginning. an extra 2oz in the tail takes 5 or 6 oz in the nose, and if you are adding weight near the CG even more. a light motor will make it worse.

Hard to make a conclusion based on how far from spec this went.

I would keep the wing, take a servo out of the tail and use a heavier motor. May still be tail heavy but should be much closer. Untill some one does this I would reserve opinion.
dennis
thats what i was thinking. Due to the size of the plane i would look into outfitting it with a setup like the 51" 3dhs Slick flies. If i wasnt already lining up some other projects i would pick one up and try it
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:37 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckert View Post
Hmm.. At least you got something. All I got was a lot of clouds with my camera. When we get some warmer weather we can reshoot if you want. What's your 2 cents on how the plane flew?

Dan
I was too busy being pissed at my camera to really see the plane -- unfortunately. I liked the rolling harrier in the video. It looked pretty difficult land -- wanted to rise or stall. I had the same issue with my Extra and Yak 55 until I added some weight to the nose. I wonder if throttle/elevator mixes could take care of that low speed tail drop. I won't even utter the gyro word. I KNOW how you feel about those.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:44 PM
Spicy Torque Roll!
USA, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2006
1,827 Posts
Anyone have this Sbach and the Sebart Sbach? If you do please chime in on the performance differences? Thanks!
volcomsnows2k is offline Find More Posts by volcomsnows2k
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Oct 2011
42 Posts
sebart sbach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomsnows2k View Post
Anyone have this Sbach and the Sebart Sbach? If you do please chime in on the performance differences? Thanks!
my bad they spell it sebach at sebart
LENNY MANN is offline Find More Posts by LENNY MANN
Last edited by LENNY MANN; Feb 19, 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:28 PM
plank n shankbone pilot
Dumont, NJ
Joined Feb 2005
869 Posts
This was going to be Justin Jee's electric precision/3d bird. We've had very short coupled profiles like Kanke Sukhoi. He had no trouble flying that one. But, he does not want to come near this Sbach and it shows in his flight.

Anyway, a new wing with closer to normal aspect ratio with wing tube pushed back should arrive before the end of the month. This should have effect of stretching the fuse between the main and stab. Along with that, new 53" Yak54 should arrive. According to Tony, this one should be more stable and potent 3d/precision.

If the new wing works out, it might make sense to have that wing with slightly stretched fuse to handle better.

I will keep you posted.
red_z06 is offline Find More Posts by red_z06
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Oct 2011
42 Posts
cg is cg

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckert View Post
Lenny, I can't really tell you one way or the other, for a purchase, since I haven't flown the plane. The test pilot gives it a 8 to a 9 as tested, 10 being best. But to be fair to Pilot, this was the maiden and we were all suffering with cold and wind. Add to that this is pretty much the 1st bird delivered to a customer and there's no real data with respect to consumer input. Respective of the CG, my old 25E Hyperion Cap 232 was off just as bad if not worse.

This wouldn't be the 1st bird from a refutable vendor that may have missed the mark to some degree. Keep in mind I didn't use the same gear Chief did for testing. My motor was lighter but my servos were heavier and I added weight with a different lipo, all ball links, and extended arms on everything. All of which added weight behind the CG. A few grams here and there add up real quick. More so when the weight is behind the CG point. If the question is, would I recommend this plane to an individual that had the capability to fly it like they stole it, I'd say yes. As a disclaimer, I'd have to say the purchaser had better well be a darn good pilot and well tuned into 3D flying just from what I observed and discussed with the pilot that performed the tests.

Unknown 'if' the LG is tweaked but I'd suspect so due to the tracking. The pilot had some fairly rough landings and the tire wear is quite visible but the LG held up even though it was chattering pretty bad. I installed some softer Dubro wheels on it for a little more cushion. It appears the left side is toed out because the tire wear is indicative of that. Perhaps a switch to some TNT LG would be in order? Albeit that would be sad considering Pilot provided what 'should have been' a better product. FWIW, Pilot & Chief are aware of this thread because I informed both I would be doing a build/review on this plane. Whether or not they choose to chime in or not....

Boostoman has some info on his build of this bird located here, post #14 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1489797

I won't say I'm sorry about the $$ stuck into this nor the time to do it. The darn thing is just so pretty in the air & on the ground. Plus no one else has one! I have no doubt we'll get some more tuning done and I'll be a happy camper. It'll be another plane that has more capabilities then I have. Haven't heard from my video man so unk when we'll see them. He's going through some rough times at the moment and I'm not going to pressure him.

I'd give this bird a buy! You won't regret it.

Dan
hey Deckert:
ok.. Boost man says his sbach was spot on balance some one asked him if he added nose weight and he had no reply , you and my friend both have the same problem with balance, it doesnt make any difference what servos /motor ect. you put in to it they give a c.g point of ballance that is completely wrong.. I would be yelling at pilot for this and demanding a remedy rather than adding weight. I'll weight and C.g(wait /see)what transpires,..but I do really want this plane
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:55 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LENNY MANN View Post
I'll weight and C.g(wait /see)what transpires,..but I do really want this plane
Lenny, don't let anything reported here stop you from buying this bird.
  1. It's a beauty
  2. It WILL do anything the pilot is capable of handling.
  3. It's NOT a beginner plane nor perhaps even an intermediate bird.
  4. It is twitchy in elevator
  5. Factory CG specs aren't working
  6. Servo holes suck
  7. Servo holes suck
  8. The pilot WILL need some time to trim it out for BEST flying.
  9. It can be built/flown a LOT cheaper then what I did.
Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Oct 2011
42 Posts
Thanks again friend in Benton, one more question if I may,(ha-ha 1 more) whats this I here of a new wing that pilot is suppose to be comming out with at months end. Have you heard anything more on this??
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:26 AM
plank n shankbone pilot
Dumont, NJ
Joined Feb 2005
869 Posts
Quote:
Thanks again friend in Benton, one more question if I may,(ha-ha 1 more) whats this I here of a new wing that pilot is suppose to be comming out with at months end. Have you heard anything more on this??
Not for public yet. Not certain if this will work or not. It is something Tony is building for us to make the plane more flyable. It is something that I suggested to him to make it more user friendly.

Since the fuse wing tube is set, it will have (hopefully) the wing tube pushed back to increase the tail moment from CG. I am a firm believer in Pilot-RC's quality in both build and flight. I just don't think the 53" lives up to Pilot-RC's reputation.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Oct 2011
42 Posts
Here,here my point exactly, I too have had planes that the c.g. is off 4 x- ample: the multiplex Gemini, yup its aft of their suggested serving BUT its flyable, not a religious experience that this sebach is... Luck was a factor getting it down in one piece,I SAY AGAIN NOT FAIR,I could have went to H.K. for less to experience this nightmare.So there is no real plan for a permenint soulition???.. Maybe a cg point 1 inch sorter than stated,Or what keep selling some thing that has the same flaws as the HobbyKINg model has....
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:21 PM
plank n shankbone pilot
Dumont, NJ
Joined Feb 2005
869 Posts
Quote:
Here,here my point exactly, I too have had planes that the c.g. is off 4 x- ample: the multiplex Gemini, yup its aft of their suggested serving BUT its flyable, not a religious experience that this sebach is... Luck was a factor getting it down in one piece,I SAY AGAIN NOT FAIR,I could have went to H.K. for less to experience this nightmare.So there is no real plan for a permenint soulition???.. Maybe a cg point 1 inch sorter than stated,Or what keep selling some thing that has the same flaws as the HobbyKINg model has....
Incorrect CG location really isn't a flaw. If it flies good at new location, there is nothing to be done other than to advise people of the new location. If you bought it as a scale ship, then you will be very happy with the looks. But, for those who bought it as the latest electric hot rod, it isn't quite there yet. But, I have no doubt that it will be sorted out soon.

I was just informed that the wing won't be included in the shipment from China. It will only contain the 53" Yak 54 (pre production). Pilot-RC will build new wing and test it first before sending it out to us. So, it may be sometime in March.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Oct 2011
42 Posts
Just like that ..wow ,I've been waiting since nov. I guess i can waite a bit longer.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:09 PM
plank n shankbone pilot
Dumont, NJ
Joined Feb 2005
869 Posts
Quote:
Just like that ..wow ,I've been waiting since nov. I guess i can waite a bit longer.
I will let you know how the Yak flies. Usually, if it flies good, we produce a video. So, if there is no Sbach video, that means we could not get it to do what we wanted it to do.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:31 PM
Joined Oct 2011
42 Posts
hey Deckert chime in at any time how goes it ? anything new.