HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:27 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,227 Posts
Bentech, I have that F-18. But mine was PNF and came set up for 3S. Too low power and flew like a "perpetually landing jet"... LOL... nose a bit up...
I upgraded it to 4S and whilst it was a fair bit faster, and acceptable then, it was still not 'fast'. The inlet ducting is too narrow.... restrictive. And that would surely bother a CS10, as well as the exhaust side restrictions too.
So it is a nice enough (bit budgetty) F-18, but needs a bit of work - especially for a CS10.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - what NOT to buy !!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:17 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,412 Posts
Here's another negative test for you guys.

I had a couple of these

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11176

and I thought that they might work for a twin 70mm on 6S.

I got around 35amps and 805watts at 22.5Volts and 1.3Kg sustained thrust. This is not bad but after about a minute of WOT when the motor stops the bell temperature goes up to 190F.

Don't think this is sustainable. Maybe if I cut cooling slots in the motor tube like the CS12 has....

Come to think about it, this motor, on 6S performs the same as the L2855-2300kv on 4S.
anlucas is offline Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:31 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
978 Posts
which alloy 70mm shroud would you guys recommend for this fan? I heard that the shrouds these come with are not too good. Thanks guys!
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:00 AM
Sweden, Gävleborg County
Joined Jan 2004
851 Posts
I just recived the 10 blade Replacement Rotor from Hobbyking, and I think CS has changed something in the material. Weight for the "old" rotor from the first shipment is 13,5 grams.
This Replacement does weight 15,8 grams and does look "blacker".....
When carefully pressing two blades against each other it is considerably stiffer then the old one.
MagnusEl is offline Find More Posts by MagnusEl
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:01 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,227 Posts
I only have one specific alloy housing, which is from ExtremeRC - or I guess I also have a Lander, but that is a complete unit that the housing can be used for a CS10 rotor, with blade trimming.

The ExtremeRC one is awesome (maybe all are?), because it is very well made and finished. It is almost the same weight as the plastic housing - so little more that it is unimportant. It comes with a motor housing/cone.
BUT... one "issue".... it is not made to take outrunners!!
If you have the ability/tools, you can easily mod it so it can take an outrunner. And that "hacking" won't bother it if you do a good job of it.

http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...29888a5e420669
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - what NOT to buy !!!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:41 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
Here's another negative test for you guys.

I had a couple of these

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11176

and I thought that they might work for a twin 70mm on 6S.

I got around 35amps and 805watts at 22.5Volts and 1.3Kg sustained thrust. This is not bad but after about a minute of WOT when the motor stops the bell temperature goes up to 190F.

Don't think this is sustainable. Maybe if I cut cooling slots in the motor tube like the CS12 has....

Come to think about it, this motor, on 6S performs the same as the L2855-2300kv on 4S.
Anlucas,

Ya, the motor is too small/short for the load. Even though the amps are low the wire size makes it efficiency pretty low(generates more waste heat).

Cheers,
Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:24 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
Good move. I use the same setup but with an HK SS 90-100 Amp ESC.

Expect to see 85-90amps with that battery.
That Zippy is a very good value for money. Only minus is 1C charge rate and the balance wires which are hard and you have to take care bending them around or they will snap off the battery.

I fly this setup in the same size Mig-15.
Anlucas...you are right about snapping balance wires...has happened twice...what I do now as soon as I get a new Zippy is that I put a "zip tie" around the top of the battery to tie down the balance wires so I never pull on them directly. Has worked great. I ran out of zip ties and just put electrical tape on one battery.

I charge my Zippy's (all my batteries at 1C regardless at home) at almost 2C at the field and they do fine. I set my charger at max which is 5 amps and it charges in about 30 minutes.
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:06 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
which alloy 70mm shroud would you guys recommend for this fan? I heard that the shrouds these come with are not too good. Thanks guys!
extreme rc has the only shroud that will sink a 28mm motor correctly. HET has one but its almost 30mm diameter
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:15 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,744 Posts
Let us not forget poor lil old Skyworld.
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
Let us not forget poor lil old Skyworld.
The rotor is too tall for the skyworld metal shroud
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:39 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
The rotor is too tall for the skyworld metal shroud
Ah. Pity.
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:44 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,638 Posts
So those of you who have installed the 10-Blade...has it been substantially slower than whatever stock version of your plane? ...more low end power?

Generally happy with it?
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:42 AM
Joined Nov 2005
5,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS2010 View Post
So those of you who have installed the 10-Blade...has it been substantially slower than whatever stock version of your plane? ...more low end power?

Generally happy with it?
Matched with the correct KV motor the performance is commensurate with other fans that have been out for a while.

The thing you'll hear is a lot more white noise (whoosh sound) and a higher pitch whistle vs a lower rpm whine like in a turbine
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:01 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,153 Posts
I thought I would post here, might also post in Phase 3 F-16 thread ---

I happen to already have a 3500 KV inrunner rated for 1KW and an 80 amp ESC (from my HK Komet, changed it to milder set up), and I already had some CS10 fan assemblies in my parts box...

So, when the mailman showed up yesterday with a Phase 3 EF-16 -- if you don't know this plane, it is a light little tosser, with a very mild 68-70 mm fan set up. I had purchased it just to have a fun, light little 3S EDF.... I started thinking Reeses Cups: that if I got that chocolate of the high power setup mixed up into the peanut-butter of the light easy jet airframe.... hmmm....two great tastes that taste great together....

I probed around the threads a bit (not exhaustively, though) and sure enough, a few people have made a CS10/EF-16 combo, and man, that makes for the PERFECT jet sound, to me.

I think most people are shooting for 4S or 5S hot rods, but me, all I want is a mild 'parkflyer' level of performance, but with that awesome jet sound, and minimal EDF 'whine'!

All I have done so far is balanced the rotating assy (motor, fan, hub cover) and ran it on the wattmeter. It sounds very nice on the bench, and it maxes out at about 56 Amps, using about 500 watts, while on a used 20-30 C rated 3S battery.

Did not measure thrust yet, but I gotta believe it will be enough to push this little plane around nicely.

The good thing is that if this combo does not generate enough thrust, then just going to a nice higher C rated 4S battery should then put me into the right territory, and my ESC, motor etc ought to already have the overhead, no problem.

I'll update this post with more particulars once I complete the build and/or get maiden done. One thing I already am thinking is that the stock EF-16 package came with a nicely implemented thrust tube on the tiny stock setup. Probably a perfect fit for it's needs. But I think most people messing with the CS-10 find it does not like to be choked or restricted on either end, so I don't think I'll use any sort of thrust tube in there, unless the fuselage foam itself is a tortured path on the exhaust half and I have to have some sort of guide or tube to make efficient flow.

For now, check out this video of the CS-10 in the EF-16 airframe:
Extreme RC F-16 with 10 blades Changesun rotor (2 min 22 sec)
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Aug 10, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:53 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
I got the alloy shroud from Garry at Efflux. He's right in CA. 45bux and got it within a week. The fit of the Eflite BL32 motor was not real snug. But I just wrapped one layer of alum duct tape and it was tight. Some conductive paste and I'm good.

Fuzz
St. Martin is online now Find More Posts by St. Martin