HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:43 PM
What goes up...
acuralegendz's Avatar
United States, NJ, Cherry Hill
Joined Feb 2012
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Alex I hope we aren't burning you out. As I said in my very first post, YOU are the primary reason I am switching to the RVOSD. The ability to communicate directly with the designer to share ideas for improvement and get direct help. This is where RVOSD beats every other competitor hands down. Now wouldn't that be a sad irony if that is the very thing that causes you to burn out and give up.
You wrote, ". I don't really feel like adding too much more to RVOSD. At least not to the masses."
Npre suggested open sourcing.
Maybe an, unapproved open source project isn't such a bad idea. Apple doesn't approve or support jailbreaking my phone, but I assume the risks anyway. You could help develop unapproved beta firmware, along with others, and not have to worry about the users whining to you. Use at your own risk! You can add features to the approved firmware only after extensive beta testing by those of us who volunteered to assume the risk first. Knowing how you strive for perfection, I would risk being one of those beta testers for a less expensive rig. If I want to play it safe, I would use only approved firmware.

And If they "break something" you get another sale
acuralegendz is offline Find More Posts by acuralegendz
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:46 PM
FPV in Hawaii
iskess's Avatar
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Evans View Post
There are two possible situations in which RTL would be used.

One would be that you are testing it and in that case you should be ready to re-establish manual control if needed.

The second would be that you have lost the RC link which would most likey be due to distance and in this situation I would rather take my chances that it still has a GPS lock and go into RTL than do nothing while it flies off into the sunset.
Not to negate your point, but you forgot another reason for RTH, loss of video.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:13 AM
Registered User
Elcheapo's Avatar
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
No, not planing to drop this project. Have being working on it for four years. Is just that I think that RVOSD price+features+support are making people forget that this is just two pcbs and a GPS with some (clever or dumb) software on it.
The price you are paying for it, is because it is not produced on the same quantities than TV sets, tablets or cell phones. So, you can't expect the same ratio between production cost/price. Neither the same functionality.
Yes, you do have to solder things if you need to. And even as I tried to make it as robust as possible, by adding stronger than usual buffers, over-current protectors and some tolerance to common mistakes, it is very easy to break a connector, or plug something wrong causing catastrophic damage to it.
The thing is that I am just to much exposed here to trolling, bad mouthing, people that can't understand how it works, can't read instructions or need to blame someone else when something goes wrong.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:57 AM
Registered User
Firatp's Avatar
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Dec 2010
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
Main board was not updated properly and graph board was not updated at all. Check the update instructions and flash again.
Hi again,
Is there a sequence to follow? I thing I tried to load Main Board Firmware, first.
Does this make difference?
Thanks
Fırat
Firatp is offline Find More Posts by Firatp
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:44 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Jul 2004
83 Posts
RSSI and EZUHF

If Iím using a EZUHF rx do I need to have the 100 Kilo ohm resistor/10K resistor???

The only reason I ask is because I hooked up my rssi last night and noticed some weird numbers when I put in the minimum and maximum settings. I had a min of 24 and a max of 37. Shouldn't these numbers be a bit further apart?


THanks for any help,

Todd
Opus44 is online now Find More Posts by Opus44
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:50 AM
Registered User
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
790 Posts
Make sure you're using digital RSSI as EZUHF rx RSSI output is not analog.
HF_ATL is online now Find More Posts by HF_ATL
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:57 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2011
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus44 View Post
If I’m using a EZUHF rx do I need to have the 100 Kilo ohm resistor/10K resistor???

The only reason I ask is because I hooked up my rssi last night and noticed some weird numbers when I put in the minimum and maximum settings. I had a min of 24 and a max of 37. Shouldn't these numbers be a bit further apart?


THanks for any help,

Todd
First you need to be using PPM output for controls. Second you need to enable RSSI in IRC tools. Then plug the RSSI cable into the aileron input, not rssi/temp input. Then choose PWM1 in the rssi setup, then choose the endpoints as normal, mine are around 600-900. And yes, it's all in the manual... And it won't work at all if you have the resistor.

edit, it's not all in the manual, but this helps: http://rangevideo.com/forum/showthre...k-in-progress-)
npre is offline Find More Posts by npre
Last edited by npre; Sep 10, 2012 at 07:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:38 AM
Registered User
bjornthans's Avatar
Norway, Troms, Skjervoy
Joined Jul 2012
803 Posts
hello
does anyone know how to get in touch with rangevideo support? or know if they are very slow in responding on mails?
bjornthans is online now Find More Posts by bjornthans
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fall is here in the north
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:23 AM
Registered User
Pixturethis's Avatar
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
Elcheapo,

Just to let you know, your doing a great job. Please keep up the great work. We all know it isn't easy, if it was everyone would be making these.
Remember, you can't make everyone happy. There will always be up happy people in the world & there is nothing that will change that.
Please keep the quality at the level you have.

Marc
Pixturethis is offline Find More Posts by Pixturethis
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:34 AM
Registered User
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
790 Posts
+1 on this!

Alex, you created and are developing the best OSD on the market with very rich features... Just be proud of yourself instead of feeling bad because of some people that simply don't know how to set-up the RVOSD and insist in blame yourself/system.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixturethis View Post
Elcheapo,

Just to let you know, your doing a great job. Please keep up the great work. We all know it isn't easy, if it was everyone would be making these.
Remember, you can't make everyone happy. There will always be up happy people in the world & there is nothing that will change that.
Please keep the quality at the level you have.

Marc
HF_ATL is online now Find More Posts by HF_ATL
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:49 AM
PP/IR
aviatorgeek's Avatar
United States, CO
Joined Jun 2012
121 Posts
+1

rtfm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hf_atl View Post
+1 on this!

Alex, you created and are developing the best osd on the market with very rich features... Just be proud of yourself instead of feeling bad because of some people that simply don't know how to set-up the rvosd and insist in blame yourself/system.
aviatorgeek is offline Find More Posts by aviatorgeek
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:00 PM
Registered User
idletime's Avatar
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,649 Posts
+1 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixturethis View Post
elcheapo,

just to let you know, your doing a great job. Please keep up the great work. We all know it isn't easy, if it was everyone would be making these.
Remember, you can't make everyone happy. There will always be up happy people in the world & there is nothing that will change that.
Please keep the quality at the level you have.

Marc
idletime is online now Find More Posts by idletime
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:57 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Jul 2004
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by npre View Post
First you need to be using PPM output for controls. Second you need to enable RSSI in IRC tools. Then plug the RSSI cable into the aileron input, not rssi/temp input. Then choose PWM1 in the rssi setup, then choose the endpoints as normal, mine are around 600-900. And yes, it's all in the manual... And it won't work at all if you have the resistor.
npre,

Thanks for the help and advice. I do understand a lot of what you've said. I've read through the instructions many times, but for some reason I just can't seem to understand and get done what needs to be done all the time. That's why I inquire here from those who know. I will read the instructions again and try to work all this out. I do have a few questions below though.

1. You mention using PWM1, but the instructions say not to use that mode yet. Can I use this now?

2. As many times as I've read the instructions I don't remember seeing anything about "IRC Tools". What/where are they?

3. When you say that I would be using PPM out for controls do you mean from my TX. If so I am doing that. If not are you talking about PPM output on the OSD? Right now I have the OSD set up on "regular rx". Is this wrong?? All my servos seem to work fine on this OSD menu setting.

4. PLease forgive me for asking this questions but as far as plugging in the rssi cable into the aileron input......... how do I control my much needed ailerons??? Or does the RVOSD just use the aileron channel to see signal strength and control the ailerons at the same time??? If I plug my ailerons into the #2 input port where will the rudder go then?

Again I want thank npre and this forum for the help you have given me.

Todd
Opus44 is online now Find More Posts by Opus44
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:05 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2011
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus44 View Post
1. You mention using PWM1, but the instructions say not to use that mode yet. Can I use this now?

2. As many times as I've read the instructions I don't remember seeing anything about "IRC Tools". What/where are they?

3. When you say that I would be using PPM out for controls do you mean from my TX. If so I am doing that. If not are you talking about PPM output on the OSD? Right now I have the OSD set up on "regular rx". Is this wrong?? All my servos seem to work fine on this OSD menu setting.

4. PLease forgive me for asking this questions but as far as plugging in the rssi cable into the aileron input......... how do I control my much needed ailerons??? Or does the RVOSD just use the aileron channel to see signal strength and control the ailerons at the same time??? If I plug my ailerons into the #2 input port where will the rudder go then?
1. The manual has some parts outdated, some updated parts can be found here:
http://rangevideo.com/forum/showthre...k-in-progress-)

2. Immersion RC tools is the software made by Immersion RC to set up your EzUHF and their other products. http://www.immersionrc.com/downloads...etup_v1.21.msi

3. PPM mode is where all eight channels are sent down one wire instead of eight wires. You'll have to enable this in IRC tools, they call it mikrokopter mode. Then connect the Rx's channel 1 to RVOSD's elevator input. More information on this is in the "PPM configuration" heading in the link above. There are a couple more steps. It needs to be done to free up the Aileron Input on the RVOSD. Then connect the RSSI output channel on the Rx (as set in IRC Tools) to RVOSD's Aileron Input.

4. Because you've switched to PPM mode, all eight channels are still present but are taking up only one wire.

Hope this helps
npre is offline Find More Posts by npre
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:10 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2011
416 Posts
One more thing. This is necessary because EzUHF doesn't output a 0-3.3v signal RSSI like some other 433mhz control systems. There is a board that converts EzUHF's RSSI output to an analogue signal which is made by a 3rd party, but buying that would mean adding more wiring mess and switching to PPM mode will reduce wiring mess.

Also, in IRC tools when you select the pin for RSSI, you will lose that channel in the PPM signal as well, so make sure your controller isn't using it. For example if you choose channel 8, the receiver will ignore any commands on channel 8 from your transmitter and replace the signal with RSSI info. But at the moment RVOSD doesn't take RSSI data from the combined PPM signal, so you still have to hook up a second connection of the RSSI wire to Aileron Input. If it's not making sense, well, get it working first, then it'll fall into place
npre is offline Find More Posts by npre
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Maiden Reports 12345 Arizona Model Aviators 699 Yesterday 11:38 PM
Help! RVOSD thermal sensors rcmonster99 FPV Talk 16 Jun 20, 2011 10:21 AM
Discussion Weekend weather reports neck Arizona Model Aviators 13 Jun 10, 2011 04:59 PM
Discussion where are the Joe Nall horror "reports? guy hanson Radios 49 May 18, 2011 12:06 PM
Discussion Finally Fixed the Country Reports daboz Dynamic Soaring 5 May 16, 2011 02:51 AM