SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 22, 2009, 07:45 AM
Sigh...Really?
Lansing, MI
Joined Jun 2009
253 Posts
Help!
Field Plane stand plans or buy!

Im looking for plans to build an affordable low cost field stand that stands up off the ground enough that I dont have to be on my knees. Be adjustable to fit 60 size to 50cc.

I would like it to be as portable as possible(collapsible) PVC, wood, plastic dont much care.

I have had one person offer up one made of rockband drum stand that are somewhat affordable, but I would like to put one together myself if at all possible to save as much money for other things.

Please if you know of any or anyone with plans let me know via PM please

Thanks you in advance for your time and consideration.
Kevin
boggintuff is offline Find More Posts by boggintuff
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2010, 09:49 PM
Garland, TX
Joined Jul 2006
5 Posts
stand from harbor freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38778

I picked up one of these for my 60 size big stick. They are are from harbor freight tools. I got mine for $15, but regular price is $19. Not much room for tools but will definitely hold an airplane by the fuselage or wings.
scanan is offline Find More Posts by scanan
Old Jan 09, 2010, 07:09 AM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,913 Posts
They are fine until the wind blows it over with the plane on it. Then you will remove the legs and return to your knees like I did. If you have knee problems, you won't have any choice except to find a good way to anchor it.
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:43 PM
Former B52H Crew Chief
Green Bay WI
Joined Feb 2009
781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanan View Post

I picked up one of these for my 60 size big stick. They are are from harbor freight tools. I got mine for $15, but regular price is $19. Not much room for tools but will definitely hold an airplane by the fuselage or wings.
Gota love harbor freight. You could build a sling to hold tools underneath. PVC pipe on the pivot point and hang a box underneath.
aerofly0610 is offline Find More Posts by aerofly0610
Old Oct 06, 2010, 05:37 PM
Joined Jan 2009
17 Posts
I'm with Boggintuff,

My knees are about as bad as knees can get, and I know for a fact that I'm not going to be able to spend time on the ground with planes anymore.

I'm also looking for a good stand to buy or build.

~ Jim ~
TexasSkyPilot is offline Find More Posts by TexasSkyPilot
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:32 PM
Starting over
United States, TN
Joined Sep 2010
201 Posts
I thought I'd drop my two cents of change on this topic. Yeah, I'm a member of that bad knees club too. I saw this Hanger 9 flight stand on eBay. You could buy this one for about 50$. Make your own with a much wider base that would be stable in windy conditions. I could rip one if these out of thin plywood in a few minutes.
crashhelmet is offline Find More Posts by crashhelmet
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:23 PM
Wilson, NC
Joined Aug 2009
219 Posts
Hi Texas Sky Pilot
Our club has 8 of the Engine Starting Safety Stands. Like you, I hate/cannot get down to my knees anymore. The stands we have are not portable, but they can be moved around the field because they have two wheels. Free plans are available at our club website, http://www.wilsonrc.org/news.php. Click on the download section on the left of the page. To view the full drawings you may have to select Landscape or Portrait on your viewer. Have you ever been on your knees with a 60 size engine that is acting up and then it starts and find out you had the throttle wide open? That is why I like to call our stands "Engine Starting Safety Stands". Send me a PM if you have any questions. I live and breath safety, because I have screwed up many times and consider myself lucky.
villapilote is offline Find More Posts by villapilote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 01:08 PM
-_-
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Sep 2005
828 Posts
Here is one I made out of PVC pipe works great holding my 50cc planes off the ground at waist height.I don't have any plans maybe you can get some ideas from my set up to build your own.
E-MO is offline Find More Posts by E-MO
Old Dec 09, 2010, 03:56 AM
dhaka
Joined Dec 2010
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanan View Post

this is not regular price?

Last edited by Dino2010; Dec 29, 2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 09:16 AM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,398 Posts
lol the Harbor Freight link is for a drip irrigation set? Hmm guessing they changed the item numbers around or something.
PropsnWings is online now Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2011, 10:54 PM
USA, CA, Livermore
Joined May 2010
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings View Post
lol the Harbor Freight link is for a drip irrigation set? Hmm guessing they changed the item numbers around or something.
lol. im likee..... so you hang em? or.....?
RCSwitz18 is offline Find More Posts by RCSwitz18
Old Dec 17, 2011, 09:26 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,382 Posts
Most likely this one. http://www.harborfreight.com/200-lb-...and-38778.html

Nothing more then the old TV dinner table legs.

Simple enough to build one out of PVC. Add outward facing feet to the legs, that can turn for storage, and it would be pretty much rock solid.

If you are just working on a fuse, I've seen them also where the chain adjuster is replaced with a pair of fabric straps across the top bars.

I used these stands all the time in the shop (collision repair) and I don't ever remember one falling over.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Dec 30, 2011, 07:35 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,411 Posts
I have one of these on the way- a bit out of the way for you, but a great stand none the less. http://www.lasercutkits.com.au/index...roducts_id=905
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:39 AM
Joined Jun 2010
4 Posts
Just use a keyboard stand works great for transport and at the field,I made foam supports on either end of the stand in a u shape to hold the plane
Dreamwings is offline Find More Posts by Dreamwings
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:33 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,559 Posts
I have 2 of these from "back in the day" ... (70's)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BYRON-CRAFT-...item19d5582e93

You could probably make something similar out of wood.
They work great, but might not be high enough for sone.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc