HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:09 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
6,959 Posts
As AT says, just stick the tip out of the fuse somewhere in a full carbon model.

With your two carbon strips, I wouldnt even worry about putting the antenna outside.

These are all full carbon fuses with Optima 6s. Only exposed wire tip of the boda is outside the fuselage (and its in a little fin to stop it blowing over at speed, they are all 200mph models). All range check perfectly in all orientations, and have been flying for a few years.
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2014, 07:58 PM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,782 Posts
APM Setup

Like so many before me I am trying to use my A9 to control 6 flight modes on my APM Quad.

Three are easy to set using a 3 pons switch but getting 6 using p mixes is appearing to be a challenge!

Anyway I stumbled across this old manual giving a very detailed description on how to do it.

But to use it you need to be able to set you mix at just Aux 1. Not Aux 1 to Aux 2 etc.

You must have been able to do this in the past (see these old instructions) but not anymore?

Am I do something wrong or is there another way to setup this mix?

Thanks heaps for any help.
Goody63 is online now Find More Posts by Goody63
Old Apr 14, 2014, 08:02 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,354 Posts
Thank you!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterby View Post
If you place the antenna 2-2.5cm away from the carbon rods than it's okay. You place it closer than it can produce shadowing, but it's only problematic at bigger distances.
Hitec gear is very good at filtering interference.
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Apr 14, 2014, 08:05 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,354 Posts
Now I´ll fly very calm...

I was worried because I had a brownout a few months ago, and would like to see all the possibilities to won´t have it again, once I spent 4 months building this warbird

Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
As AT says, just stick the tip out of the fuse somewhere in a full carbon model.

With your two carbon strips, I wouldnt even worry about putting the antenna outside.

These are all full carbon fuses with Optima 6s. Only exposed wire tip of the boda is outside the fuselage (and its in a little fin to stop it blowing over at speed, they are all 200mph models). All range check perfectly in all orientations, and have been flying for a few years.
Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM
Hungary, Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén, Miskolc
Joined Mar 2011
135 Posts
That is a very pretty bird if I can say so myself!
Regarding your brownout issue, What kind of battery and servos (type and number) did you use?
We had an incident recently at our field with an overpowered glow pattern plane running amok without control, on full throttle. Not much survived but the pilot figure was one of them. The problem was the point of lithobreaking was 5m away from a car going halfway from the field and the impact speed was well above 150km/h. The battery pack was an old pack of NiCd!!! and the servos were digital. Even NiMh packs drop voltage above 1A draw and the newest digital servos can draw 6-10A under load.
After our incident I am urging the local club members to migrate from Ni packs to LiFe packs just to maintain safety. Also the pilot will have a decent scolding at the next annual meeting.
We have a saying here: 99% of radio problems are electrical or pilot related.
Safety is first, start with your equipment.
Sterby is online now Find More Posts by Sterby
Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,354 Posts
Hi dear friend,

First, thank you for the kind words. I spent four months and half to build this A29 Super Tucano and in the second flight, it flew away and I had no control anymore after some minutes. I saw that one of the servos had a curt circuit and it has no BEC. One important question is that after the crash, I saw that the one bluebird flap servo was broken, and I don´t know if it got a short circuit before the crash!
I already bought a 10A BEC from castle creations and installed it now.

It´s all repaired and brand new and I would like to close all possibilities to it happen again.

Here is all I can send about the setup information! I would like the friends help to see if everything is ok! Please!

The final weight is: 1.550kg. Wingspan is: 1,20m (4 feet)

The plane is this one here:
A29 Super Tucano

The video

BEC DIAGRAM
Castle Creations CC BEC 10A 6S Switching Regulator
Turnigy 40A esc
AXI 2820/12
Prop: APC 11x7 E
3s 2250mAh 3s
6 servos:
2 for ailerons HS-65MG
2 for flaps BMS-375DD
1 rudder HS-65MG
1 elevator HS-65MG
Nose Retract
Wing retracts
Pilot

ch1: ailerons left and right plug into 1 y-lead and then into ail ch.
ch2: elevator ch is standard straight into ch 2
ch3: throttle into ch 3
ch4: rudder control and nose wheel steering into a y-lead and then into ch 3
ch5: retracts. left and right retract into first y-lead. male end of the first y-lead into a female plug of a second y-lead. the other half of the second y-lead into the nose retract. then the male end of the second y-lead into ch 5.
ch6: flaps. left and right into a y-lead and then into ch 6. the servos are aligned the same way it operates in the same direction.

One "Y" cable for both aileron servos;
one "Y" cable for both flaps servos;
one 3 "Y" cable for the 3 retracts;
one "Y" cable for rudder and nose wheel direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterby View Post
That is a very pretty bird if I can say so myself!
Regarding your brownout issue, What kind of battery and servos (type and number) did you use?
We had an incident recently at our field with an overpowered glow pattern plane running amok without control, on full throttle. Not much survived but the pilot figure was one of them. The problem was the point of lithobreaking was 5m away from a car going halfway from the field and the impact speed was well above 150km/h. The battery pack was an old pack of NiCd!!! and the servos were digital. Even NiMh packs drop voltage above 1A draw and the newest digital servos can draw 6-10A under load.
After our incident I am urging the local club members to migrate from Ni packs to LiFe packs just to maintain safety. Also the pilot will have a decent scolding at the next annual meeting.
We have a saying here: 99% of radio problems are electrical or pilot related.
Safety is first, start with your equipment.
Thank you all so much!
Warmest regards,
Luis
Old Today, 12:25 AM
Hungary, Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén, Miskolc
Joined Mar 2011
135 Posts
Servo short circuit caused more than a few crashes here.
The way it causes the brownout means it's no matter how big your BEC is, it will drop the voltage. An electrically talented member tried to make a small safety circuit where it cuts off power from a servo if it detects high amp draw. The difference was it still had power when it went down because the elevator servo got defect.
I assume you installed brand new servos in your plane before it crashed. Most of these short cricuit problems can't be detected on the bench so its bad luck. You can still try to wiggle the sticks so all the servos can do full travel at the same time and see if it will overload the BEC.
Retracts also have the tendency to overload the BEC if the gear is bent slightly and can't fit properly. The servo is trying to close it but the gear is touching the side or top of the box so it doesn't reach it's locked position. This is also a common fault so it's worth to check, especially if you fly on a grass field.
Sterby is online now Find More Posts by Sterby