HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2014, 06:05 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
24 Posts
Discussion
Longest HZ Champ flight time?

This may not be thread worthy but what the heck.

I'm sure there are other aircraft that could accomplish the same feat, but tonight I flew my champ for 17:33 on a 150mah battery.

I flew it in to the wind circling back every so often and then back in to the wind to pickup a little altitude after each down wind run. I used just enough throttle to make the slightest headway. Probably about 1/4 throttle if I had to guess.

Wind right now is about 4mph out of the SE, but may have been a little stronger earlier. Not really sure.

I'm curious to know what others have gotten on a 150 battery?

Edit:I should add that the landing gear was removed during this flight
abpanda is offline Find More Posts by abpanda
Last edited by abpanda; Feb 08, 2014 at 06:43 PM. Reason: needed to edit
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2014, 06:42 PM
CA
Joined May 2007
1,099 Posts
the Champ is a Soarer I fly an area where there are slopes all the time and do exactly what your doing so getting that much time on a battery is not unusual and might get even longer time if really just let the Champ Float on a updraft which is fun to do.

without the wind and the help of a slope doubt seriously if anyone can fly that much time on a 150mah lipo
Kamov is offline Find More Posts by Kamov
Old Feb 08, 2014, 07:17 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Dec 2013
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamov View Post
... and might get even longer time if really just let the Champ Float on a up draft...
Thanks for the feedback kamov. In this particular field I was flying in there is a slight berm that runs the length of the field and in this case was perpendicular to the wind. It appeared to have been providing a little uplift. I'd get a slight pump when I would float above it.
abpanda is offline Find More Posts by abpanda
Old Feb 08, 2014, 10:10 PM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
635 Posts
Ab, not unusual at all. This summer when visiting my brother near Harrisburgh Pa, we were flying off a soccer field that had a stone quary next to it. we flew for an hour on one battery and brought them down way before the batts were at lvc. We just had to quit from being tired of looking up, we even laid on the ground while we flew to ease the neck pain. we found thermals over the parking lot that would get us to altitude then when we would go over the Quarry it was like a fast elevator that would push the planes straight up to a speck within seconds. we had so much fun but we could have lost our planes very easily. At one point I lost orientation and didn't know which directin I was going so gave power to see if I coud find out , I did I was going up and with power away from the field, just as I was going to loose site I remembered to give down elevator, I got oriented and brought it around and headed to the field. After this we kept them above the field until we had to quit because of tired necks.
I wonder how many pilots have had the opertunity to fly backwards while going up at the same time. This day was sunny with wispy white clouds, you could fly into one of the clouds the wings would wag showing thermal, then you could shut down the motor and gain altitude bring it back down look for another cloud and do it all over again or fly over the Quarry and get an adrenilin rush. I never had so much fun, so much nerve racking fun or just easy flying on one flight. That day you had every type of flying from the same field. I was surprised that my bro could gain alt a lot quicker with his J3 cub than I could with the champ. Flew over 3 hours on 2 batts. Bad part was the sunburn, having so much fun didn't realize hadn't put sunblock on. It was worth it though. I would liked to had a glider with me that day. Nah would surely have lost it.

JCS
miatamama is offline Find More Posts by miatamama
Old Feb 12, 2014, 09:39 AM
Joined Apr 2013
309 Posts
I woundered what would happen if you ran the Champ's 150 1S battery until the motor quit. I fly early in the morning behind the Hudson, Florida Civic Center. I like to start at about 7:15 AM. Before anybody is there. There's three soccer fields beside each other and a foot ball field. Plus 2 base ball fields and many tennis courts. Monday and Tuesday it was so calm that I took the Champ and his little brother (Flyzone Cub) to the field and give them a try. The champ flew so long that the motor shut down and I glided down to a safe landing. I didn't watch the clock or set my DX6I's timer but it was a very long time. I will check it next time. Time is hard to judge when your flying as time just seems to fly by. It would be real interesting to know how long you can go.

Thanks for the post. I think it's interesting and well worthy of being here.

jack
pjdog350 is offline Find More Posts by pjdog350
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PZ UM Mosquito tach motors