HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2013, 10:14 PM
roooostinnn
United States, NY, Glens Falls
Joined Mar 2012
56 Posts
Discussion
brand new blackjack 29 upgrades

just bought a blackjack 29 with the 1800kv motor and 80 amp esc, running it on 6s 2p Hyperion Generation 3 lipos 3s Lipo 11.1volts 5000MAH 45c
225 Amps Constant and have a sharpened and balanced octura x642 prop.
my question is that the motor stock is a 6 pole motor and the sk3 super edf motors i have for it are 4 pole. whats the difference? by the way the stock motor and esc are excellent in the blackjack. 3/4 throttle was about as far as i got it on its first runs until i shoved the batteries way up front. also if i am running a 1900kv sk3 edf 4 pole motor on a 130a sea king esc should i prop down to a x442 or stay with the x642?
angrycat is offline Find More Posts by angrycat
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2013, 02:16 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,724 Posts
Why do you want to swap the motor over 100kv? The 6 pole stock motor is very powerful, probably more powerful than the 4 pole EDF motor.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old May 22, 2013, 03:06 PM
roooostinnn
Joined Mar 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Why do you want to swap the motor over 100kv? The 6 pole stock motor is very powerful, probably more powerful than the 4 pole EDF motor.
im not looking to swap over right now, i had the motors for another build and the option is always there in case i need a backup. like i said i have a 130a HV seaking if i decide to push it further. i was just wondering if the 6 pole was meant for a mid range torque ban while the 4 pole is meant for a high rpm powerban with a low pitch prop
Old May 23, 2013, 02:09 PM
roooostinnn
Joined Mar 2012
56 Posts
hopefully taking it out for a few more test runs to get her dialed in today. i wound up moving the strut up 2 mm to hopefully get it to stop jumping out of the water at anything past 3/4 throttle. i might prop down to a x442 and see if that helps smooth it out a little
Old May 26, 2013, 07:01 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,724 Posts
Electric motors aren't like internal combustion engines that have powerbands... electric motors make the most torque at zero rpm and torque tapers off at higher RPM. If anything the six pole motor will make more torque across the RPM range than the four pole motor and rev almost as high.

As for it jumping out of the water, is it porpoising (nose bouncing up and down), or is the whole thing jumping out of the water? If it's porpoising raising the prop will make it worse since that lets the nose ride higher. I would play with the CG to see what helps, but 6s on this hull will push it to the point where the hull isn't very stable at all.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old May 28, 2013, 12:10 AM
roooostinnn
Joined Mar 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Electric motors aren't like internal combustion engines that have powerbands... electric motors make the most torque at zero rpm and torque tapers off at higher RPM. If anything the six pole motor will make more torque across the RPM range than the four pole motor and rev almost as high.

As for it jumping out of the water, is it porpoising (nose bouncing up and down), or is the whole thing jumping out of the water? If it's porpoising raising the prop will make it worse since that lets the nose ride higher. I would play with the CG to see what helps, but 6s on this hull will push it to the point where the hull isn't very stable at all.
yeah sadly i found this out today. ran the boat sunday and a gust of wind down the lake blew it over on a trial run. then took it to the pond a few miles away and she ran beautiful. on 6s with a x642 prop its silly how fast it was on low timing. so today i took her up to my lake house and noticed a hairline crack along the seam of the boat. threw some fast hardening epoxy on the inside and let it harden for 4 hours and ran the boat tonight on glass calm water. well after running for 5 mins i brought it in and checked motor, batt and esc temps and all were ok. switched the esc to high timing (20% more amp draw) and opened it up almost full throttle when she caught a ripple and took flight. wound up cracking the hull all the way around along the seam but the cell phone gps we had in the boat said she hit 69 on that last run and i still have yet to hold her wide open for anything more than a split second. all temps were below 130. i had the 2 3s packs tucked up above the motor and she still wanted to pull the nose up at anything past 3/4 throttle. i think the next blackjack hull i buy im going to carbon fiber the seams and as much of the inside hull as i can and ill also remove the stock battery trays because they are junk, broke on my first run. something tells me i either need to add weight to the nose/ move the batts even further up in the sponsons keeping them as low as possible and also try propping down to a x442
Last edited by angrycat; May 28, 2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:27 AM
roooostinnn
Joined Mar 2012
56 Posts
i shall be posting pics as well as posting up the vid i have on youtube
Old May 28, 2013, 04:06 PM
roooostinnn
Joined Mar 2012
56 Posts
blackjack 29 6s x642 second test run (3 min 52 sec)
Old May 28, 2013, 04:21 PM
roooostinnn
Joined Mar 2012
56 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...=5815924&stc=1
Last edited by angrycat; May 28, 2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old May 29, 2013, 06:16 PM
roooostinnn
Joined Mar 2012
56 Posts
any suggestions on how to go about carbon/fiberglassing this hull and getting it back into shape, i have the fiberglass and carbon fiber sheets but i have cheap epoxy resin. i want this to look profesional so if you were to fiberglass 2 hulls with epoxy resin exactly what materials would you order besides what i already have?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 12:45 PM
roooostinnn
Joined Mar 2012
56 Posts
Proboat blackjack 29 1900kv (0 min 47 sec)

last test run of the season
Old Oct 22, 2013, 02:17 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2006
908 Posts
Beautiful lake - pretty darn quick boat.
cyberhoops is offline Find More Posts by cyberhoops
Old Oct 22, 2013, 04:12 PM
Joined May 2012
212 Posts
That hull is pretty much done for, almost impossible to get up into those areas to properly glass the seams. If it were mine I'd tape it up pour some epoxy down the inside, wrap some glass cloth around the splits on the outside, give it a bit of a sand and be done with it.
Much better off moving everything over to something like a Mean Machine hull, they can take the high speed cartwheels. Much better quality hull than anything Proboat or Aquacraft offer. But you really can't expect that much for the price of these rtr boats, they are a pretty inexpensive in the grand scheme of things rc related.
Sibe is offline Find More Posts by Sibe
Old Oct 25, 2013, 01:26 PM
roooostinnn
Joined Mar 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibe View Post
That hull is pretty much done for, almost impossible to get up into those areas to properly glass the seams. If it were mine I'd tape it up pour some epoxy down the inside, wrap some glass cloth around the splits on the outside, give it a bit of a sand and be done with it.
Much better off moving everything over to something like a Mean Machine hull, they can take the high speed cartwheels. Much better quality hull than anything Proboat or Aquacraft offer. But you really can't expect that much for the price of these rtr boats, they are a pretty inexpensive in the grand scheme of things rc related.
the boat in the video is the new hull i switched everything over too. the split hull is still in the works. i would up cleaning out the seams and taking the bulsa wood out they use to "reinforce" the seam and sanded the crack down to the glass itself. then i carefully applied epoxy to the seam and clamped down gently. after the glue had dried i mixed up some 2 part epoxy and let it drip down the seam on the inside. sanded everything again and im getting ready to carbon/kevlar the inside. i know its going to be tricky getting in there and working around but i did a dry run and everything seemed manageable.

so as of right now i am wondering about these tp motors that i want to stick in the hull when its done. i plan on using a swordfish 200a but im not sure on what kv/wind i should go with. i was thinking a 4040 or a 4050, and if i can fit it the 4060. some say wye and others say delta... idk but its going to be running 6s and trying to break the 80 mark after blueprinting the hull.