HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:34 AM
DonB
United States, SC, Beaufort
Joined Feb 2009
41 Posts
Discussion
Making a Rx pack of AAA's

I need to make a lightweight Rx pack of AAA NiMh cells. My question is any problems soldering wires to cells that dont have a solder tab?
Thanx
Don
mentor34 is offline Find More Posts by mentor34
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:18 AM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,395 Posts
No problems, as long as you have a big and hot enough soldering iron. You shouldn't need to hold the iron in contact with the battery for more than 3 or 4 seconds. The idea is to be quick, so the heat doesn't have time to damage the internal parts or the seal around cell top. "Big" doesn't necessarily mean "lots of watts", 40-50W would be enough. But the tip must have lots of mass, ie. it should be significantly heavier than the battery you are soldering.
jkettu is online now Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:19 AM
United States, WI, Slinger
Joined Mar 2006
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentor34 View Post
I need to make a lightweight Rx pack of AAA NiMh cells. My question is any problems soldering wires to cells that dont have a solder tab?
Thanx
Don
No problem if done right. Make sure the cell is cleaned thoroughly, I always lightly sand the spot where I'm going to solder. Use a large enough iron or gun. You need to get the cell hot enough, quickly enough to properly flow the solder or you risk having to keep the heat on the cell longer than necessary and possibly damaging the cell.

The problem you might run into is current. AA size cells are not the best for RX packs if you're drawing a lot of current from them, AAA cells are worse. Depending on what kind/number of servos you need to power you may find the voltage drop to be extreme. I assume that since you're going with AAA size cells you're not using very large/many/digital servos that can draw a substantial amount of current.

Mike
MikeCr is online now Find More Posts by MikeCr
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:44 AM
Marion
USA, NC, Hillsborough
Joined Oct 2003
1,007 Posts
Tin the ends of the cell first. I tin the bottom of all cells, and let the cells cool. Then I tin the tops of the cells, and let them cool. That way it is easier and faster when soldering the wires to the cells during assembly.
Marion is offline Find More Posts by Marion
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:37 PM
DonB
United States, SC, Beaufort
Joined Feb 2009
41 Posts
RX pack

Thanx modelers, I knew I could count of help from our RC community.
mentor34 is offline Find More Posts by mentor34