HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2013, 09:42 PM
Farmington Hills, MI
Joined Jul 2006
300 Posts
There is a lot of good information in this thread about this engine; ways around the goofy ignition curve, tuning, etc.

http://www.theprofilebrotherhood.com...hp?f=2&t=31620

I can't thank you enough for posting about the range problem. I did a range check with my Spektrum. I should be able to get 30 meters out of my radio on the range check mode. I wasn't getting 15. With the engine off, it passed. That ain't good. I'll be reading your thread in detail to see what I can pick up.

Honestly, I think it's a lesser receiver I'm using. I had borrowed a receiver out of an electric plane while I was waiting on the one I ordered to come in. Now I'm 800 miles from home on vacation and the nearest hobby shop is 100 miles away.

Thanks again. This likely saved a crash.
Abrams is offline Find More Posts by Abrams
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2013, 10:15 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
2,983 Posts
that's what it is all about, that's great you saved your plane, sounds like it is gonna "rock,"when you do get the bugs worked out!

oh and P.s. someone posted a sweet video on timing these lil 2 strokes, I think I have it some where!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ghosts of airplanes past!
Old Jul 07, 2013, 10:22 PM
Farmington Hills, MI
Joined Jul 2006
300 Posts
I'm on a similar path. I'm trying to get the plane up and running to see if I like the airframe. If I like it, I'm going to strip it and recover with a different scheme. I might mod some surfaces as well.
Old Jul 07, 2013, 10:24 PM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
2,983 Posts
oh and the first thing I would do, is if it's not now, then mount your ignition battery, on the engine box, as far away from any other radio gear as possible! I found that the battery gives off the most interference!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2013, 08:03 AM
Farmington Hills, MI
Joined Jul 2006
300 Posts
I use lipos and regulators on everything. I know there is a lot of debate on the subject of batteries. Personally, I trust lipos more because I can do a voltage check and see how much I have left. With life and nihm the voltage stays about the same through the charge, then it drops.

I use separate regulators off the same battery. I've had an electrical engineer friend checked that setup on my other plane with an oscilloscope. It created minimal interference. However, I'm not using the same regulators and I have capacitor on my other plane.
Old Jul 08, 2013, 10:17 AM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
2,983 Posts
I just lost my 27% EXTRA 260, because of what looks too be, a faulty castle voltage regulator! was my first attempt at using lipo's as my flight pack! was unable too check voltage in the lipo after crash, but with a 6v nimh and a 4.8 NiCad, the receiver was fine, but with the castle, neither would keep the receiver powerd!
and almost lost my E-Flite EXTRA 260 yesterday, with a life battery, do too what I figure was over voltage! don't think them EXI 9 gram mg digital servo's are rated for 6v's!
luckily it pancaked, and only broke the rib where it bolts too fuse. did a field repair, and tried again, only too completely loose all my servo's, so gonna hafta try again on that one!

just more reasons too stick with what works! it really is hard too teach this old dog new tricks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2013, 12:39 PM
Farmington Hills, MI
Joined Jul 2006
300 Posts
I called Horizon Hobby this morning. They gave some good advice. One suggestion was get the ignition battery away from the receiver (same thing you suggested).

I also called my EE buddy. He suggested a .1mf and 470mf capacitor before the receiver to clean up any spikes.
Old Jul 08, 2013, 03:23 PM
team sleprock
Joined Dec 2009
2,983 Posts
right now I am running a 1700ma life battery in my 1/4 scale Pitts, with a 1600ma nimh for my ignition!
I have them both sitting side by side above the main gear, and haven't had any issues yet, but as mentioned earlier, my ignition box is as far away from the receiver as physically possible! and I just make sure the wries are on opposite sides of the plane!
RCG Plus Member