HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:59 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
7,542 Posts
Petg-petk

I can't help you with definitions of chemical make-up,but I can tell you about the workability of the petg.
My order consisted of 8 sheets of .030,12" x 18",clear material.It has a slightly rubbery feel,that I was looking for,and it's the least bit resistant to cutting with scissors,another good bit...I've just today cut a windshield for the 1/4 Scale Cub,and hopefully tomorrow I;ll install it.......I'm looking to avoid those 'spider web'cracks that developed with the unknown material I used last.

Heat forming those side windows will come later.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Oct 2011
7,542 Posts
Fantastic plastic

Thanks to the guys who suggested the PETG plastic for me to use.
I installed the 1/4 scale cub windshield today,and after securing it in place,I used the heat gun and slowly brought the plastic up to temp.
I had never used this material before,and I had no idea what to expect..I kept waving the heat gun back and forth past the upper corner(s),and as it came to the proper temp,I could see the plastic relax into place.
The windshield had looked fine, before I heated it,but now the stresses are gone
Later ,I'll make the proper fixtures for molding the side windows...I've been warned about the heavy (.030) plastic maybe wanting to resist forming tight corners,but let's give it a shot! -I need those little flanges to glue the windows into place..
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:37 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,398 Posts
Great stuff Earl! Now where are the pictures then?
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Oct 2011
7,542 Posts
Sorry,Wiz---The airplane is undergoing restoration.I'm doing before and after shots .I'll have a compilation soon.Be patient,please....
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:39 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,442 Posts
Interesting stuff! I've always used Vivak for thermomolding. Stress risers occur most frequently with polycarbonate especially if it gets too hot or if cold bend radius too tight. Don't ask me 'how hot' or 'how tight a radius'- I can't answer specifics- I'm too stupid!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:09 AM
Joined Oct 2011
7,542 Posts
Stoopid ain't it!.I heated the material I made the last one with...(unknown material),and it crazed any way...The PETG was installed,then heated to relieve stress,and a second one ,unheated.
Both are doing just fine,even at .030 ,which is kinda thick.
We just need to listen to the guys who know what they're talking about.

I'm going to be heat forming some PETG soon....I'll have a report.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:27 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
978 Posts
A build last winter got a windscreen of the fashion on thirties era open cockpits with a three sided affair. It had two hard bends of about 75 done cold on a brake using .030 PETG and no crazing occurred.

http://pages.suddenlink.net/arlyn/detailing.html
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Oct 2011
7,542 Posts
Good to know....I need those same windscreens on a Great Planes Stearman...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:16 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
978 Posts
Earl... I trimmed the windscreen frames using aluminum tape. It requires patience as the adhesive is very sticky and if at any point something goes wrong, the step must be aborted for another go with probably a new piece of tape. Because of that, I masked off the area outside the frame, applied the tape overlapping the masking and then using xacto, slit the aluminum tape where it lapped the masking tape, and finished by removing the masking tape and the overlapped aluminum. The result was good and has been durable with no hint of the aluminum tape peeling.
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined Oct 2011
7,542 Posts

RCG Plus Member