HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:30 AM
Let the hating begin
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
859 Posts
been thinking about buying the freewing su 35 today but the last dealings with BH a few years ago were pretty bad.HK has the same plane but it would come from China with some steep shipping.I cant decide whether to take another chance with them again,the freewing planes have been ok in the past so the product is not what concerns me its the vendor
evalith8 is offline Find More Posts by evalith8
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Jun 2012
191 Posts
Hi evalith8!

Please feel free to order with confidence and report any discrepancies to me directly so I can assist you with feasible solutions. Thanks! -Seba
Sebastian_BHcsr is offline Find More Posts by Sebastian_BHcsr
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:59 PM
Let the hating begin
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian_BHcsr View Post
Hi evalith8!

Please feel free to order with confidence and report any discrepancies to me directly so I can assist you with feasible solutions. Thanks! -Seba
here's an issue I have,not being able to place an order over the phone.I ordered a sebart mig 29 from hobbylobby today & was able to do it over the phone,get an eta of when it would ship & a name of a person who answered some questions I had about the product before I ordered.All in all I felt really good about spending 517.00 bucks with them after that experience.With Banana Hobby you have to place an order,wait for an email & pray you dont have a problem & have to go through the hell you guys call "live chat" if there is a problem(someo fthe product issue & resolution threads are the worst!)I can only hope things have gotten better over the years but the whole automated only thing is kind of a turn off.In what ways are you better than before?What has changed & why did it change?Complaints?Just curious,some of the products are exclusive through you in some cases so if I wanted a su 35 in next week I would have to buy from you.I could wait if I choose to purchase from HK but Id rather not,however with BH's past reputation & the still constant bashing on this website I have to wonder.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:18 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,530 Posts
I can only tell you I was never a fan and in fact its been ugly between me and BH on RC groups . I had taken issue with quality and then saying " we have worked in conjunction with the manufacturer and then the plane disappoints, you ask ok , if you were involved why so many problems ?
Then BH imported the LX P40 , i did not agree with 9 gram servos on a 79" plane but I agreed to buy the plane knowing that I would change them out .Many have flown stock with zero issues .
Now when buying the plane I expected complete ,damaged free model that functions out of the box , and BH delivered on all my expectations .
In fact as stated there tracking was great , the shipping was great and all POs since then have been excellent , no problems no issues and never delayed ect .
So is it luck , don't know but the service so far is on par and better then Tower .
I tell it like it is , look me up and my post were ugly , now being fair they earned my business and respect
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:45 PM
Let the hating begin
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
I can only tell you I was never a fan and in fact its been ugly between me and BH on RC groups . I had taken issue with quality and then saying " we have worked in conjunction with the manufacturer and then the plane disappoints, you ask ok , if you were involved why so many problems ?
Then BH imported the LX P40 , i did not agree with 9 gram servos on a 79" plane but I agreed to buy the plane knowing that I would change them out .Many have flown stock with zero issues .
Now when buying the plane I expected complete ,damaged free model that functions out of the box , and BH delivered on all my expectations .
In fact as stated there tracking was great , the shipping was great and all POs since then have been excellent , no problems no issues and never delayed ect .
So is it luck , don't know but the service so far is on par and better then Tower .
I tell it like it is , look me up and my post were ugly , now being fair they earned my business and respect
Thats good to hear & I hope that if I make a purchase here soon I will be able to say the same.I guess all the stories about the wrong product,damaged products,incorrectly packaged,lack of support just plane old scare me.In the last 2.5 years I have spent thousands of dollars with 3DHS & Extreme flight & have grown acustomed to a certain standard when it comes to reliability from a vendor.I know the good posts are far & few between & the bad ones are always out there but it scares me a bit to think about dropping 370.00 bucks on something that if its not right I wont be able to reach a human being in order to make it right.If hobby lobby had this plane for 100.00 more I would probably buy it from them so I can rule"luck" out of the equation.BH has such a bad reputation that its hard to look past it.I know alot of their business is probably from the first timer newbies that dont search the threads looking for the pros & cons of products before they buy them but being a person that does research before a purchase,seeing through the majority of the fluff associated with rc planes & also being burned by BH in the past it's hard to let that all go & give them another try.I wouldnt be being building a squadron of ducted fan jets but if I picked up this su35 & it came in broken or mispackaged or whatever(banana'd up) I would never forgive myself.Maybe one you guys can order it for me & then ship it to me
Just out of curiousity,Ive never ordered anything bigger than an esc or battery from HK.As far as who is better & more reliable between them & BH who would you say is better & by how much?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:57 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,530 Posts
this is part (not all ) but part of the bad history . Jets , prop planes ect imported by BH , had bad development /qc from the supplier .Typically that is not the distributors fault its the supplier .When you as a distributor say " i had a hand in developing that plane you assume responcibility for the authority you take in the development process.
I cant argue that point any longer because I beat it to death then RC groups gets mad at me as well as my friend at BH .
In reality if your importing from a good company like FMS , they take responcibility for there problems and dont allow the distributor to take the bullet . I dont know that I can say the same for LX, Starmax and some of the others , so in essence BH took the bullet for QC issues with these planes .The bullet stopped as far as real support , product warranity and people were left complaining .
Now comes along FMS, beter quality =less issues for BH consumer , better rating for BH ect .
Now the new LX Corsair , major problems , angry rc guys all over the thread and angry at BH .
Then comes the LX P40 , one of the leaste problematic planes from BH , its big, it flys great stock and so you have happy people on BH , on LX and overall ratings go up .
My point is , anyone in business should only take responcibility over things that they have the authority to change , fix , adapt ect .The true definition of management is authority with responcibility , they always go hand and hand and so many times you will see , hear post from certain distributors that tout authority but never go back and tie into responcibility if there is a problem .
So today in 10/2012 , we have better products that lend themselves to seemless business deals and everyone goes away happy
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:57 PM
Let the hating begin
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
859 Posts
fms is freewing I assume?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:47 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,530 Posts
No, Freewing is one of the companys with initial qc issues , they have gotten better .
FMS is typically sold as FMS but BH will at times relabel them as "blitzrc"
Nitro planes calls them "airfield", its all an attempt to have there own brand awarness .
Very common in rc and in other distributor controlled products .
In large fuel planes ESM=easy souring models , for years sold by Canadian distributor called Kondor Models Products =KMP, then esm went direct to lower costing distributors under there own brand ESM.
In the case of LX i doubt they could ever go direct , there culture and business model in my own experience from my emails is laughable. I actually commend BH for dealing with them.
FMS could easy go direct but why set up a USA dc when they still have major demand for exclusive distribution in the US .
These businesses are all the same BH, Hobby Lobby , Hobby People, Great Planes , ect they all import , some are big enough to establish real brands like Top Flight , Hanger 9 ect , others will just import
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:58 PM
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Jul 2012
31 Posts
1st BH order without a hitch!

I ordered the FMS P-51 version 7 one month ago. Having read several posts both positive and negative, it seemed on the whole that BH was at least making the effort at BH and at least some of the complaints seemed frivilous. But mostly I just loved the products that I saw - having compared them to other offerings online and at the LHS, I was anxious to get my hands on an FMS warbird to see if it lived up to the advertising.

So I took the plunge and I am glad I did. Order shipped that same day and within a week it arrived at my door. The product was undamaged and all parts were included (including one spare for each piece of hardware). BH even threw in an extra set of prop blades - nice.

Regarding FMS, I think it is a great value. All parts fit perfectly and it went together in remarkly short amount of time ( a few hours). Some constructive criticism I would give... The perfectionist in me would love to see all foamy manufacturers - not just FMS - perfect their manufacturing processes and make their foamies, well... less foamy. In particular, the silver wings were clearly made of styrofoam. My Gunfighter's green-painted surfaces disguised the underlying material far better. Oh, and while FMS has cooler landing gear (working struts - wow!), nav lights and other details (nice cockpit), eFlite does a better job with the decals (partifularly on fuselage, between squadron markings and star insignia - there is clearly a sheen that screams - "this is a sticker."). I maidened her last weekend and it was an absolute joy to fly - no trim needed and greased it in right in for a perfect landing on first attempt. Overall, I'm super impressed with the model and Banana Hobbies. I hope my future experiences are just as good!
TomPeter is offline Find More Posts by TomPeter
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Jun 2012
22 Posts
Problems with BH ....

I believe it is pretty much a roll of the dice when you place
an order with BH. You may receive an intact product and
not have any issues, and then again, you may receive a
defective product/part and then all bets are off.
Chances are you WILL have to do battle with their Customer
Support to get the issue resolved, and believe me, it is a VERY
unpleasant process.
I have my most recent battle " Operation AT-6 " well documented
in the BH Customer Support thread for those of you that enjoy
horror novels.
For those of you BH "newbies" considering a BH purchase, I
truly wish you the best of luck ......

Regards
The Huff is offline Find More Posts by The Huff
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:09 PM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jul 2011
167 Posts
Like others here, I made my first purchase with Banana Hobby. I bought 2 FMS arf planes, the T-28 and B-25. I will post on how everything goes in order to supply others with information.

Mike
dabears720 is offline Find More Posts by dabears720
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:21 PM
Seflier
Joined Jun 2012
125 Posts
Bh

Like many others, I must say, BH during the most part of 2012 just had no clue what customer service is....they were about the worst it gets.....but something happened in the latter part of the summer early fall....some new people were hired and they spoke good english...and they knew how to correct problems....for example, i purchased the 1400mm P-47 from them....hooked up the electronics and the motor and esc burned out immediately....i contacted bh via email, worked with their tech group, did all what they wanted, and within a few days, they set me up for a new motor and esc delivery....It took longer than i would like, but that's about 300% better than they were earlier....since then i have purchased a few more planes from them and had no issues whatsoever....i have been waiting on back order for my fms p-5-gunfighter since Nov....twice their web site said it was in and was being set up for delivery, but subsequently told that was a comp error...cannot fly anyway, so I am not upset....I must give BH a strong rec for adding some new customer service reps that are good and know how to take care of business.....but thats just my humble opinion

Happy landings

Seflier
seflier is offline Find More Posts by seflier
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:43 PM
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2013
87 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything from them. I bought an EC-135 heli in January and before I could even get a chance to fly it, something went horribly wrong and the helicopter went bazerk crashing into the ceiling and then into furniture. It is totally destroyed.

BH told me basically I'm S.O.L. and haven't responded to my last email about rectifying the problem.
Quickdraw62 is offline Find More Posts by Quickdraw62
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:28 PM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jul 2011
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw62 View Post
I wouldn't buy anything from them. I bought an EC-135 heli in January and before I could even get a chance to fly it, something went horribly wrong and the helicopter went bazerk crashing into the ceiling and then into furniture. It is totally destroyed.

BH told me basically I'm S.O.L. and haven't responded to my last email about rectifying the problem.
Could you describe your steps and actions in detail to show us exactly how something went horribly wrong?
dabears720 is offline Find More Posts by dabears720
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:33 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,530 Posts
I bought two planes , mutiple parts , not one problem , and the email notifacation is better then any mail order company I deal with , personally the managemnt of BH does not care for my open critique of there product development skills and personally I dont care .
I buy from a distributor to get shipped on time , undamaged , and save vs international freight , as far as that element BH delivered .
As far as enginering and product developement intervention , this is an ongoing differnace between my beliefs and there online statements , so we agree to disagree and I buy from them , pay them what i owe them and they deliver as promise .
If I buy , fly andf crash , I dont call them , because I know that if I buy a plane and test or feel uncomfortable with a servo or un-named esc ect , i replace it before I fly knowing that is what you get when you buy from China .
Very early in the product release days of Starmax , both BH and Hobby Lobby planes were laced with bad servos and the like , same with early release of LX jets .
The distributor is left with the bad reputation not the supplier , ok so we all agree the supplier makes the plane not the distributor .
But when the distributor claims to make or have major intervention with the product development of the plane and then does not support the plane with customer servace on the very parts they chose and or help develope , well then ........ you live with the bad rap in this thread , with the BBB and the RC community in general .
As for me , I was a Buyer beware , went to them with eyes wide open and got exactly what I desired , shipping on time , no damage and at what I called a fair price , end of story